PDA

View Full Version : Craft Stone Weapons

Beaumont Sebos
05-04-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm creating a Wu Jen gnome.

His elemental mastery is earth. To make it interesting, one of his taboos is going to be that he can't use any metal weapons.

So, I want to give him the craft skill for creating stone weapons.

Any ideas on how to make this work?

nijineko
05-13-2009, 04:07 PM
i would just use craft stonecarving.

you could also make it a new skill. after all, very few have the skills needed to make stone weaponry. in which case, have it synergy with stonecarving.

templeorder
05-13-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm always loathe to give players full crafting abilities - this typically represents several years of learning and unless reflected as a PC background, it seems to be too much of a "gimme". However, i would, as previously suggested, create a new ability and let it reflect an ability to make 'natural weapons' - basically a hunter type background - they can chip flint points (takes years of practice itself), make small stone axe blades, whittle and sharpen wood + fire-harden it, and make bone weapons as well. This gives an excellent selection weapons... you could even include the classic "self bow" - a low powered/low range hunting bow that does lesser damage. Propelled weapons, spear, knife... the basics plus maybe throw in some real creative stuff - maybe some experience with exotic creature (dragon, fish, etc.) bones or scales or something...

Hope that helps. Actually sounds kinda cool.

Beaumont Sebos
05-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm figuring that since he is a gnome, and since his wu jen element is earth, he has spent his entire life practicing the art of crafting stone items. So, it will fit with his background I think.

I'm still trying to come up with the logistics of how to treat the weapons themselves, i.e. damage, hardness, etc.

nijineko
05-13-2009, 10:17 PM
i looked up d20 past for you, but they don't cover that far back. cheh. i thought there was some d20 primitive times supplement somewhere, but i'm not sure. gurps on the other hand has it very well covered.

let's see. off hand, flint was used for arrow heads and spearheads... as was obsidian. obsidian was also used for a sword-like weapon called a macuahitl, which typically consisted of two slats of wood with matching notches into which was slotted shards of obsidian and then tied firmly together. easy to field strip and repair with local materials (except for the obsidian; extras were often carried with the warrior) the resulting weapon looks like a flat serrated club. it is considered to be one of the most powerful weapons. conquistador records indicate that aztec warriors could strike the head off of a horse in a single blow with one of these weapons. and when the obsidian shards broke off in the wounds... most painful indeed.

while the macuahitl may have been considered the most powerful, the atlatl was the most deadly and most feared by the conquistadors. otherwise known as a spear-thrower, this weapon was powerful enough to pierce a fully armored conquistador all the way through from quite a distance. there were smaller dart sized versions too.

while most of these were made primarily from wood, i do recall that there were some atlatl made from stone as well.

here's a good link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztec_warfare#Equipment