PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Races. We all have them. This is your 15 minutes of fame...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Homebrew Races. We all have them. This is your 15 minutes of fame...

For the benefit of everyone here on P&PG, please share your homebrew Race/s with the rest of us, including the edition, if applicable. Remember folks, all rpgs are welcome.

What share you?
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Okay folks, i see i need to get the ball rolling on this genius inspired thread.

If anyone remembers, there was a classic science fiction/horror movie that was released in 1956, call The Mole People. I always felt that this movie should be remade, ... hmmm, now where is that very cool remake thread so i can add this movie, but i digress.

Anyway, I used the template of The Mole People from the movie, and created a race of humans that went down another evolutionary ladder. Very cool, and worked out well with my gamers.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049516/

Here's another race of beings that i lifted from a movie. This race, not unlike the other, went down another evolutionary path, not unlike The Mole People. This race worked out very well too, in my games.

The movie was called: The Descent. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435625/

A third movie a monster i borrowed was a variant of the creatures found in The Cave: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402901/ I always felt this would be a great self-contained modules, not unlike WLD(Worlds Largest Dungeon), but on a muck smaller scale. I also felt it to have great potential for high level play.

What share the rest of you?

Dytrrnikl
05-08-2009, 05:49 AM
For my homebrew setting, it's the Vediiri (vuh-DEARY). They are a long-lived race, living as long as most Dragons. They have elongated, narrow heads, shaped like a pumpkin seed. Their eyes are elongated in a similar fashion, being multi-faceted like eyes found on a fly. Their eyes grant them vision such that their peripheral vision extends to everywhere except directly behind them. Their mouths which run 4/5 the length of their heads, are filled with flat dull teeth, and a long, sticky tongue, which they use to catch and eat all manner of insects, they favor stirges as a choice meal. Just above their 'upper lip', are four sets of air holes, used for smell and communication. Their spoken language is sounds like a flute being played, as they manipulate how the air passes through their 'nastrols'. They can speak and learn other races languages, but view them as being cumbersome. Between each set of nastrols you can see thin membranes, that serve the function of ears. The head sits atop a long narrow neck that is as long as their head. The neck is attached to their body, which has a similar shape to a spiders abdomen and is covered a fine coat of thin hair, which can widely vary in a rainbow of color and patterning. About midway down the body, on the sides, just slightly forward from center is where their arms protrude. They have long arms that are attached to body on a ball socket, and have two 'elbows' which are also ball joints as well that end at hands with three narrow fingers and an opposable thumb, with wrist range of motion similar to other humanoid races. They do not have legs. They have large, thin membraneous, muscle-like tissue, that runs from mid back down to the bottom of their bodies. This muscle-membrane actually opens up into large butterfly like wings, allowing them a limited flight capbility with clumsy maneuverability, with a fly speed equal to 50feet or 10 squares for you 4E-ers. They can fly naturally for a number of hours equal to their Constitution modifier each day, in whatever increments they wish. These wings allow them to swim like a manta ray with a speed as fast as human walks. WHen not flying, they are able to curl or roll the wing beneath them, allowing them to sort move with a slithering slide across the ground like a snail, with a speed of 20 feet or 4 squares. While slithering, they are incapable of running. Their bodies do contain a skeleton, similar in density to a Birds, but as strong as other humanoid races. Overall, they are considered a small-sized creature, not much bigger than pre-4E Halfings, when slithering along the ground. They are asexual creatures, capable of producing offspring entirely on their own, laying eggs like a bird. Though they are asexual, they do exhibit distinct male and female personalities. Emotionally, they are like Vulcans, with romantic love and all its components being a completely alien subject for them. They have a completely oral tradition, that is surprisingly accurate. They have nearly eiditic memories, capable of recalling facts that most people would have forgotten. They understand and appreciate the value of books, though see them as quaint conventions needed by the short-lived races, elves included. They had two favored classes: Psion and Druid. Wizards were almost unheard of, and fighter based classes were even more rare.
3E game stats:

Str -2, Int +2, Wis +2.
Peripheral vision: Can't be flanked.
Clumsy Flight: Fly a number of hours per day equal to Constitution modifier.
Eiditic Memory: Got to add their character level to all Intelligence and Wisdom based skills and skill checks. Also could reroll any Knowledge check, taking the better roll.
Favored Classes: Psion and Druid.
Small-Size
Low-Light Vision
Walk 20 feet, no running; Fly 50 feet, CLumsy; Swim 30 feet.

tesral
05-10-2009, 11:25 PM
I think I've posted just about every race I've done.

Appendix A: Other Races (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8111) -- Various races

Sauroi (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7092) -- A half dragon race

Leomans (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7049) -- A gentle cat like race

Avians (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6978) -- Flying races with elemental connections

Tanuki (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6888) -- The Raccoon men

Foxfolk (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6798) -- Fox men, Thank you very much.

Centaurs (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6687)-- My view of Centaurs.

Fauns (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6742) -- Nymphs and Satyrs

Elves (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6695) -- My look at elves, not the standard view.

Dwarves (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6694) -- The people of stone

Gnomes (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6620) -- The maker people

mnemenoi
05-11-2009, 06:27 AM
Well I know the article called for 'Home-brew', but I did use a race that is not commonly used as a player character race, though it was a standard for old gaming. It was for a second edition game. I had often found the idea of a Mage/Thief multiclass not appropriate having only Elves and Half Elves allowable. When a player approached me with this I agreed and tried it out, he was a great PC and I never regretted the decision.

Kenku -

Kenku are bipedal, humanoid birds that use their powers to annoy and inconvenience the human and demihuman races.
The typical kenku resembles a humanoid hawk wearing human clothing. Kenku have both arms and wings. The wings are usually folded across the back and may be mistaken at a distance for a large backpack. Height ranges from 5 to 7 feet. The feathers are predominantly brown with white underfeathers and face markings. The eyes are a brilliant yellow.

All kenku have well-developed disguise skills. They have a 50% chance of passing for human, although their disguises often have telltale large noses.

Kenku are a secretive race that lives among the human and demihuman races without the bulk of the population ever being aware of their presence.

With their odd form of Mimicry, Magic use, and thief skills it was quite an intriguing character and it was months before they realized that he was something quite a bit different then what they thought. With the lack of a lot of 'published' material on them and their society we were able to craft it in game and really expand upon a often overlooked creature.

If you are looking for something a bit odd, yet somewhat realistic in a Realms or Greyhawk urban setting they might be just right for you.

Nocturne
05-11-2009, 08:06 AM
One thing I did to make humans a little more atractive is making upbringing/regional templates for humans. Taking a cue from Dawnforge, I used a varient of the Lowlander, Highlander, and Saltblood, as well as my own creations; the nomadic desert dwelling Sunblood, jungle dwelling Nightskin, far eastern Elightened Folk, and the exotic traveling Horsemasters.
Each having the same basic human traits, but having unique cultural and ethnic qualities making them interesting choices in them selves. On last option I had was the basic human, that I called Mixedblood humans meaning no overiding ethnic traits. Most people chose one of the subraces of human.

tesral
05-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Kenku -

Kenku are bipedal, humanoid birds that use their powers to annoy and inconvenience the human and demihuman races.

I had a Kenku NPC in the last character cycle. Hiro was the clerk of the Samurai magistrate with was one of the PCs. A character prone to quick deliveries if a bit slow coming back. Drink being his downfall. Twice his turning up missing was adventure fodder. Different each time of course.

In a cycle before that the PCs encountered a Kenku who had been pinioned, half of one wing cut off as a punishment. He had been working with goblins simply to get his daily bread. They rescued him and once they got out of him the how and why they worked for his rehabilitation, eventually getting him back into good graces and restored.

In my world the Kenku (Which in the Old Fiend Folio it is mentioned do not speak) were given speech by the god Abba Eecreeana (A Phoenix) AKA the "Son of Heaven" in Markia their native land. In exchange they put down their harmful ways and serve his needs when required. While still on the mischievous side they no longer have a malevolent edge to that.

Kenku look up to the Greater Avians (http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/fantasy/avian.htm)as at least semi-divine beings for their rejuvenation and elemental connections. The body form is the same. The down side is the Avian that fails them morally is likely to be destroyed as unworthy of the gifts they are given. And believe this, the Kenku know the weakness of each kind.

thanks for the Hint, I think this race is getting the full write up and added to the appendix.

BrotherDog
05-12-2009, 03:18 AM
Hurray!!! The True Kenku ;;D

There were more than mere cosmetic defferences between Tengu and Kenku. What drugs was that WotC/Hasbro doof on to think they were the same? Tengu - CN Ravenlike harbingers of freedom with prankish wisdom. The human-headed variety tends more towards evil, but both observe life with a more chaotic view. Kenku - TrueN Falconheaded protectors of nature with prankish wisdom. Was it just because they were both avian and prankish?

Silly, that they be so blind.

tesral
05-12-2009, 05:58 AM
Hey D&D has already raped Celtic myth and critters up one side and down the other. Why should the Japanese be exempt?

mnemenoi
05-12-2009, 06:20 AM
Hey D&D has already raped Celtic myth and critters up one side and down the other. Why should the Japanese be exempt?

Well Said Indeed, lol

Monster Mythology (2nd Edition) covered the supposed God of the Kenku

Quorlinn is the kenku deity of trickery, disguise, and thievery. His symbol is a mask with a large false nose.

Description - Quorlinn appears as a typical kenku wearing a black mask and fairly non-descript clothing. Quorlinn is a likable, roguish trickster. He has a tinge of malice about him at times, but he has also aided races other than his own. He spends much of his time whining about the responsibilities imposed upon him by a race he didn't choose to have created in his image.

Relationships - Quorlinn is portrayed as the botched creation of a powerful non-lawful sky-god too embarrassed to admit his error. Quorlinn proved his worthiness in a series of wild and dubious adventures involving his present areas of concern, and in reward the deity created the kenku to keep him busy (much to Quorlinn's dismay).

Realm - Quorlinn's realm of Filchnest can be found on the plane of the Beastlands.

Dogma - Quorlinn teaches disguise, magic, and thievery to help the kenku survive, for he fears he is too weak to protect them himself.

Worshippers - Quorlinn is worshipped mainly by kenku.

Clergy - Quorlinn's shamans and priests are devious and clever, masterminding abductions, ambushes, and traps. They are organized into secretive cells, and often serve as spies. They work to break other kenku out of jails and prisons.

The only other Deity whom is referenced appears to be

Pazuzu is a powerful demon prince, called the Prince of the Lower Aerial Kingdoms. He rules the skies above all layers of the Abyss. He is sometimes known as Pazrael or Pazuzeus.

Though Pazuzu counts several kenku among his worshippers, the feelings of the kenku deity Quorlinn on the subject are unknown.

I do remember hearing that they occasionally worshipped a few other deities namely Akadi (Elemental Air from the Realms, Faiths and Avatars) and Remnis (Giant Eagle Deity, Monster Mythology), though as to the nature of their relationship I might veiw them as cults, likely allowing Shamans.

nijineko
05-14-2009, 03:40 PM
many, but i don't have much in the way of small writeups handy, like i did for the classes thread.

templeorder
05-19-2009, 04:32 PM
With a home brew world, essentially they are all home brew races - even the standard ones are adapted to the environment and setting. I'll share one race though...

Drunnad
The Drunnad are the ancient goat-people who once inhabited the hills of the headwaters of the Nanford River in the Duchy of Dunstrand. Sturdy creatures that dwelt mostly outdoors, they resemble a large upright goat with small 3 fingered hands. Covered in wiry hair and a beard, they cultivate craggy gardens and live in high valleys, gulleys, shallow caves and overhangs. They are masters of camouflage and can live near other races while rarely being seen. They are peaceful and spiritual, venerating the beast-lord Darupet and Gaia the all-mother. Strong was their faith and powerful, and they guarded many a place where The Deeping threatened the lands above - for they were not affected by its vertigo and so made great guardians of the places where it touched. Long has their battle been with the Seethlen - the snake people who dwell in the Deeping. When the lords of the fallen east finally conquered Dunstrand, they eventually discovered the Druunad and made peace with them. A pact of mutual allianace was made, for the Deeping was strong in Dunstrand's lands and the Druunad taught many a scout the ways of the Deeping and its dangers. After the river lords lost power when the course of the Nanford River changed, they were hunted down by others and soon vanished into the shadows. The Deeping has grown stronger in Dunstrand now, and threatens in silence many of the old places. The druids and those of the Wyld faith still remember them in legends, but there is little contact now - a myth to most and a child's tale of the heartlands.

Aptitude: Physical 3, Faith 1
Attributes: +1 STA, +2 CRD, -1 MUS, -1 WPR
Traits: Iron Gut, Time Sensitive
Abilities: Orienteering 2

Upbringings: [All but Urban]
Backgrounds: (Unique to the species)
1) Shaman
2) Watcher
(Common)
1) Farmer
2) Hunter

BrotherDog
05-20-2009, 03:23 AM
With a home brew world, essentially they are all home brew races - even the standard ones are adapted to the environment and setting. I'll share one race though...

Drunnad
The Drunnad are the ancient goat-people who once inhabited the hills of the headwaters of the Nanford River in the Duchy of Dunstrand. Sturdy creatures that dwelt mostly outdoors, they resemble a large upright goat with small 3 fingered hands. Covered in wiry hair and a beard, they cultivate craggy gardens and live in high valleys, gulleys, shallow caves and overhangs. They are masters of camouflage and can live near other races while rarely being seen. They are peaceful and spiritual, venerating the beast-lord Darupet and Gaia the all-mother. Strong was their faith and powerful, and they guarded many a place where The Deeping threatened the lands above - for they were not affected by its vertigo and so made great guardians of the places where it touched. Long has their battle been with the Seethlen - the snake people who dwell in the Deeping. When the lords of the fallen east finally conquered Dunstrand, they eventually discovered the Druunad and made peace with them. A pact of mutual allianace was made, for the Deeping was strong in Dunstrand's lands and the Druunad taught many a scout the ways of the Deeping and its dangers. After the river lords lost power when the course of the Nanford River changed, they were hunted down by others and soon vanished into the shadows. The Deeping has grown stronger in Dunstrand now, and threatens in silence many of the old places. The druids and those of the Wyld faith still remember them in legends, but there is little contact now - a myth to most and a child's tale of the heartlands.

Aptitude: Physical 3, Faith 1
Attributes: +1 STA, +2 CRD, -1 MUS, -1 WPR
Traits: Iron Gut, Time Sensitive
Abilities: Orienteering 2

Upbringings: [All but Urban]
Backgrounds: (Unique to the species)
1) Shaman
2) Watcher
(Common)
1) Farmer
2) Hunter

These guys sound great, but could someone please translate this to d20. Me not be familiar with a fair bit 'o the lingo used. Stat-wise

templeorder
05-20-2009, 09:59 AM
These guys sound great, but could someone please translate this to d20. Me not be familiar with a fair bit 'o the lingo used. Stat-wise

Well, i'm not sure there is a direct translation since the systems are very different.
Aptitude is divided into magic, physical, faith and psychic - as you can see, the Druunad all have faith aptitude as part of their common profile - ALL Druunad are capable of wielding faith powers. In my system, that means that powerful followers can tap the power of others in the same faith to fuel their prayers (cleric spells). Essentially this could give each Druunad the use of a chant-type effect or blessing each day.

Converting the attributes is easy - they have great endurance (stamin/STA), and are VERY coordinated (CRD), but suffer penalties to their strength (muscle/MUS) and willpower (WPR).

Traits - well, iron gut means they can eat just about anything (and do - no waste in their society = less remains to be found = easier to hide their presence); time sensitive means they have an internal clock - they can know the passage of time even in the dark, and can even wake up on a set time.

Abilities - Orienteering is both time and direction sense. Using their time sensitivity, star and sun position, they can easily get where they are going and not get lost. great for underground as well.

Upbringing is like city, country, wild - they just do not have city (urban)
background - well, the title make it obvious - though watcher is a sacred post to watch the entrances of The Deeping (thats a whole 'nother thang - think Underdark on steroids) and track disturbances.