PDA

View Full Version : P&PG Experience Calculation Change

Farcaster
05-04-2009, 01:09 AM
The purpose "experience bar," on P&PG is to encourage and reflect participation in the community. Unfortunately, the points system as it stands seems to be encouraging the creation of nonsense threads for the sole purpose of having people reply to it for points. That is definitely not the goal.

So, the point structure is undergoing some changes:

- Points for replies to threads has been removed.
- Points for referrals has been increased from 50 points to 100.

Because of the way that experience is calculated, this change is retroactive, so you will probably notice a shift in the number of points that you currently have. I am considering adding a new feature to the forums that will allow members to "thumbs up" a thread as useful. This will likely replace the points for replies and views in the near future.

tesral
05-04-2009, 07:56 AM
What is a referral?

GoddessGood
05-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Bringing new people to the site. *shrug* I can't say I disagree with you, FC. The forums have been getting cluttered a bit of late and some quality discussions are getting ignored because they're back on the fourth or fifth page of the General Chatter forum. How were points for replies calculated before?

yukonhorror
05-04-2009, 09:12 AM
how do you explicitly refer people to site. I implicitly refer many people from WOTC forums to the site (because I love it here and they probably would too), but I don't know how to send them a real invite.

How do I get points for referrals? Do they just say, yukon referred me and I get points?

I see I have points for referrals, but have no clue how they got there.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Farcaster,
I agree...some people post nonsense. But the majority of people I come across are posting legit.

There has to be a happy medium with the response thing. Most of my players' (and a lot my own) posts are the result of in game threads and therefore replies by nature. But they are also by nature substantive.

Is there a way you could create some moderator tools that allows a way to mark a thread or reply as substantive or insubstantive? That way a DM running a game could give credit to his players. A player posting a thread to get help finding a specific sourcebook can give credit to all the members that helped her with her plot ideas.

Something like that?

GoddessGood
05-04-2009, 10:26 AM
I think the FAQ has a way to link people to the site that marks them as having been sent by you. If they join when they follow the link you should get credit for it.

Also, the points for replies that I think Farcaster did away with are the points the OP (original poster) gets for having people reply to their thread. For instance, MortonStromgal started the Level Up Thread and it's now at 70+ pages. He got points for every time someone posted in that thread, substantive or otherwise. Under the new system, he will still get points for posts he makes and for starting the thread in the first place, but it no longer matters how active the thread is. At least, I think that's what it means.

yukonhorror
05-04-2009, 10:36 AM
I think you are right (regarding replies to threads) goddess. Morton dropped about 4 levels after the change.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-04-2009, 10:40 AM
He got points for every time someone posted in that thread, substantive or otherwise. Under the new system, he will still get points for posts he makes and for starting the thread in the first place, but it no longer matters how active the thread is. At least, I think that's what it means.

Oh.
So. Do people get points for responding to threads or not?

*scritchin the head*

yukonhorror
05-04-2009, 10:54 AM
you still get points for posts. But YOU (as a thread creator) do not get points for replies to your thread (not anymore). Or else most of us would be like level 1.

GoddessGood
05-04-2009, 11:19 AM
I think you are right (regarding replies to threads) goddess. Morton dropped about 4 levels after the change.
As did I. No great tragedy, though. Heh, even Farcaster dropped a level ;)

you still get points for posts. But YOU (as a thread creator) do not get points for replies to your thread (not anymore). Or else most of us would be like level 1.
Correct.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Less head scritchin now...mostly due to the fresh protien modules I keep in my hair farms.

Farcaster
05-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Heh, even Farcaster dropped a level ;)

Correct.

Aye! Actually, I lost something like 14,000 points. Ah well. The challenge will be getting them back.

Kaewin
05-04-2009, 12:22 PM
how many do you get for a blog? Can people razz you for it? say if they don't like my topic.

mrken
05-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Points? We don't need no stinkin' points.

Actually I really don't care about them. I enjoy the posts that help me get to know my forum brothers and sisters. But I see your point. They don't really have much to do with P&PG's.

As for not getting points for making a popular thread. Well, I think that is just as relevant as anything. Give credit to someone who comes up with something many people want to know about, or express a point or perspective, OR, want to know more about.

But really, who needs points anyway? They really are irrelevant. We get to know who has something to say or who has some gaming wisdom. We even know who the crotchety and funny people are. We figure that all out without points telling us someone is new or been around since the beginning. In fact, some of the new people have more wisdom to share than some of us ol' timers. (Oh, did I actually say that?)

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-04-2009, 12:40 PM
I like points just because it gives people levels and makes it more like an RPG...so, it cool, yo.

Panthro82
05-04-2009, 12:45 PM
I just saw this thread after I was freaking out and sent a PM to farcaster asking why I dropped 3 levels in 1 night. I guess I need clarification. So everytime you post reguardless of what you post, you gain exp. If you create a thread you gain experience for posting the thread and you gain exp for every post you make on said thread, BUT you dont gain any exp for anyone else posting on your threads?

If thats correct then part of me disagrees with it, just because if someone starts a thread that is in the realm of gaming, is relevant, and draws alot of replies I think the person who started it should be rewarded for it, just because it is increasing or stimulating activity on the site. Its positive reinforcement in the sense that, the thread creator gets rewarded for coming up with a topic that draws in a lot of responses, attention, and also might get visitors to sign up for an account just so they can reply to a thread. If we take away this option for gaining experience, then it also drops activity on the site, and potentially drops the amount of people who sign up. Now I dont disagree that threads that say something like, "What aspirin do you take when you have a headache?" Shouldnt get you experience for replies, but what about the ones that are valid and pertain to the gaming world?

Also I dont know how fair it is to take away points retroactively from people because of a rule that was just created. If it goes forward, then now everyone knows that they gain no points, but penalizing people retroactively for a rule that didnt exist until now seems unfair. Thats like putting in place a rule in baseball today, that would affect the outcome of the 1998 world series.

Just my opinion...

GoddessGood
05-04-2009, 12:50 PM
I think a thumbs up/down system is simple enough to work for this site. Perhaps the OP could get a point (or something) for every thumbs up they get? No negative points for thumbs down, though, as that could get ugly.

mrken
05-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Wait a minute there Panthro, you may be onto something here. Perhaps it is a good thing to go and change a rule sometimes. If we could change a few rules in the NFL that might have changed the outcome of Superbowl XXII I would be all for it. Let's rethink this idea now.

tesral
05-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Wait a minute there Panthro, you may be onto something here. Perhaps it is a good thing to go and change a rule sometimes. If we could change a few rules in the NFL that might have changed the outcome of Superbowl XXII I would be all for it. Let's rethink this idea now.

I would love to change some rules in the NFL. Say, "all players must competently play football." That should do the Lions in.

:focus:

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Boo Topics!

YEAH RED STRIPE!

mrken
05-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Are you trying to say only the Lions have incompetent players? I think every team has dozens of them. In fact, now that I think about it, I can't think of any that don't occasionally make some bone head move. Of course, that would include me, and I don't even play football anymore.

Panthro82
05-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Yea there is no way of determining incompetence....although there was this Lions quarterback last season who threw the ball away out of bounds while he was in his own endzone. Yea that MIGHT be considered incompetence!

The only rules I would add to the NFL would be taking away a penalty for hitting the PK(hey survival of the fittest! eat some burgers or pay the price), and No penalties for crushing the Quarterback(unless it is blatantly ruthless, like taking out knees) Plus I would allow in game fights,(like hockey, if youre pissed at a guy get it out of your system and then you sit out for the next series of downs as a penalty)

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
05-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Indeed. If you are stupid enough to punch a guy with pads on...congrats!

kirksmithicus
05-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Well the whole xp thing is quite pointless. At any rate we were just having a bit of fun to see how fast we could gain points. Just a little asinine fun that was mostly confined to the general chatter sub-forum. I mean, what else you gonna do when the other forums are getting a tad boring. I for one, can't think of any new good threads, or I would have started them already.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
I guess now I'll have to actually post in all of Toth's threads to get my points back.

tesral
05-05-2009, 02:22 AM
I for one, can't think of any new good threads, or I would have started them already.

When I think of them, I post them. I don't like junk threads.

cplmac
05-05-2009, 10:52 PM
And for those who are planning on just flooding the place with as many threads as they can, I am sure that Farcaster will be looking for this. Perhaps if a thread is completely pointless and the OP can't supply a legitimate reason for it and show how it would be useful, the thread can be deleted along with the points that it provided.

nijineko
05-08-2009, 06:39 PM
^^ i like the shift away from thread replies and towards community growing.

perhaps instead of no xp for replies, a small flat lump sum of points for a thread that exceeds a certain number of replies. much better than the continual xp bit.

is there a referral link? i don't recall seeing one. ^^ i should like to know of it if there is a way to make a referral link. i'll incorporate it into a series of images and make invite logos and what not for everyone to use.

=D generally speaking, i would like to see an easy-to-find referral section in the user control panel with the ability to input who referred you, if a referral link wasn't used, and as a place to pick various signature invite bars.

spotlight
05-18-2009, 02:28 PM
So. back to the FIRST querry. How do you do referals, Farcaster?

Farcaster
05-18-2009, 09:42 PM
When a user signs up, they have the option of indicating who "referred" them. All they need to do is put your name and you'll get credit for referring them to the site.

Rook
05-29-2009, 09:08 AM
I'm still new to the site but am enjoying it quite a bit. The experience element does add some fun and encourages discourse. I would tend to agree that a thread that engenders a large number of responses and contributes to the usefulness of the site should be rewarded, but I also see how determining relevance could prove cumbersome. Overall, I believe this is an excellent site and defer to the will of its managers. Thanks for all your hard work!

Moritz
05-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Early in this forum's history I posted often. Not all nonsense either. Maybe 50%. But a large motivation of posting was to stay on top and gain ranks/levels. I quickly learned that those who were running games in the PBP campaign section would beat me out regardless of how many posts I could generate. So it became useless to even bother.

I think the PBP section, like the blog section, shouldn't factor into the number of Posts that are recorded nor be involved in ranking or gaining levels.

GoddessGood
05-29-2009, 11:06 AM
I disagree. PBP games and blogging contribute to overall site activity and the health of the community and I think that should be rewarded.

Of course, I also think that we oughta have a writing section/forum, too, so those of us who write can show off their work ;)

tesral
05-29-2009, 11:59 AM
That is why I have a website (http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/index.html).

Panthro82
05-29-2009, 03:12 PM
I agree with the writing section and completely disagree with PBP not getting experience. Not only is it a blueprint for other people who want to play in that format, but it also is more relevant than any other post on the site! If I'm not mistaken, this site was created mainly to help gamers find games and to give people another venue to play them.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-29-2009, 03:23 PM
My vote goes to both the writing section and the pbp section for getting experience.

Dark
05-29-2009, 04:03 PM
I don't give a toss over how many levels I have here I post because I like to post. If someone has more levels big whoop I gave up on petty matters like that when I turned 18 many, many, oh god :eek: many moons ago.

GoddessGood
06-01-2009, 09:36 AM
That's 3 votes for a writer's forum ;). Methinks someone should start up a social group for writers. They can have attached forums, y'see ...

Edit: Nevermind, they have a limited number of categories. Local group, gaming group and Play by Post. Needs to have a "general" category, mayhaps.

PhishStyx
06-01-2009, 11:09 AM
That's 3 votes for a writer's forum ;). Methinks someone should start up a social group for writers. They can have attached forums, y'see ...

Edit: Nevermind, they have a limited number of categories. Local group, gaming group and Play by Post. Needs to have a "general" category, mayhaps.

I'd join a social group for writers. Never been in one here before.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
06-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Anybody here that wants to join can join my writing group. I'll send out invites.
Panthro...you are explicitly UNinvited. Spy!
--- Merged from Double Post ---
The group I host is for DMs and writers. Nobody who isn't in the group can read the posts. That way, you can discuss your on-going adventures and campaigns without fear of a snooping player (Panthro) reading what's going on.

GoddessGood
06-01-2009, 12:18 PM
What are the rules/guidelines for posting? Is it just for adventure writing (as the title suggests) or can we post fiction, too? Is there a PG-13 rating cap or, since it is moderated and access is invite only, can we get a little racier?

PhishStyx
06-01-2009, 12:25 PM
What are the rules/guidelines for posting? Is it just for adventure writing (as the title suggests) or can we post fiction, too? Is there a PG-13 rating cap or, since it is moderated and access is invite only, can we get a little racier?

If the group is limited to adventure writing (just D&D or other games, too?), can we create another group for other kinds of writing?

GoddessGood
06-01-2009, 12:53 PM
If the group is limited to adventure writing (just D&D or other games, too?), can we create another group for other kinds of writing?
I think I will do that, actually. I think DM_Running_Farland_3.5 has something great going, but it sort of spoils it if players can see what the GMs are doing. I'll post a link here when I get it up and running.

Edit: here's the link http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/group.php?groupid=137
Please let me know if non-members can see this forum? I'm still trying to work out the kinks. Ideally I'd like non-members to be able to see the posts but not respond. This way posts can be regulated.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
06-01-2009, 12:55 PM

You can post whatever you want. Writers of fiction, adventures or campaigns are welcome.

As for the PG-13 cap. I know that unless it is out and out offensive, I will not delete it.

I think I will do that, actually. I think DM_Running_Farland_3.5 has something great going, but it sort of spoils it if players can see what the GMs are doing. I'll post a link here when I get it up and running.

You can't read anything unless you join. The players are not invited, yo.