PDA

View Full Version : Gear (Weapons) Ice-Forged Weapons & Armor

Farcaster
12-05-2006, 01:13 AM
Although this article is especially geared for the default Dungeons & Dragons cosmology, it could be adapted for any fantasy setting or system.

Found only in the frigid wastelands of the eighth plane of Hell, living-ice is both highly prized by skilled smiths and extraordinarily dangerous to collect. Far from inert, living-ice is actually a sentient and malevolent denizen of Cania. Creatures are of limited intelligence, they react swiftly and violently to any source of heat that rises even a few degrees above freezing, be it human or devil, without distinction. Adventurers who have encountered these beings describe them as almost wisp like, floating clunks of ice with cores alit with a bluish glow. Though thankfully rare in the open wasteland, these creatures enjoy attaching themselves to artificial structures and praying on anything that comes near, making themselves a particularly troublesome pest to any who would dare to erect a dwelling there. Generally, by the time they are seen, it is too late, as they burst forth with incredible speed, wreaths of unnatural cold about them, draining the very life from their quarry with their chilling touch.

But, these vicious shards of living ice yield a hidden treasure in their demise. At the core of each one is a small amount of ice that is as hard as any metal. The core, once revealed, appears crystalline in nature and resists all but the most intense forge-fires, which melt it only for a time before it returns to its frozen state, still dimly glowing. A talented smith, skilled at working with extraordinary materials, can use these icy cores to create anything that he might otherwise make out of metal. Armor and weapons made from living-ice are particularly useful.

Armor forged from living-ice serves as potent protection from both blade and flame, but unless the wearer is protected somehow from its constant chill, he is sure to be shivering in his boots before the last straps are tightened. Even the typical padding worn under plate does little to keep its wearer warm.
D&D Translation: Armor or shields made from magically treated living-ice grants the wearer fire-resistance 5, but unless the armor is further enchanted or the wearer is protected by the endure elements spell, anyone who dons this armor suffers a -2 dexterity penalty due to the constant numbing cold. This material increases the base price of the armor by 2000gp or 1500gp for a shield (unless the adventurers collect the living-ice themselves.)
Weapons made from this remarkable material keep a constant sheen of thick frost along their icy blades, and are particularly treasured for creating frost-brands.
D&D Translation: Ice-forged weapons are always exceptional, being at least masterwork, giving a +1 to hit bonus. Additionally, these weapons do an additional +1 cold damage without further enchantment. Living-ice is especially easy to imbue with cold based effects (frost, icy burst, frost-brand), decreasing the experience and gold required for the base materials to add these effects by 10%. Although, unless the adventurer collects the icy cores himself, this material adds 1500gp to the base cost of the item.

Weapons and armor made from living-ice are lighter than their typical steel counterparts and decrease the weight of the item by 20%.
>> Coming next: D&D stats for Shards of Malevolent Ice

Grimwell
12-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Cool idea. Also makes me think of "Ice Druids" that revere these shards and work with them in the same way that normal druids work with the fae. ;)

Gads... no pun intended with my opening.

RealmsDM
07-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Good work..

Something I always liek were plannar weapons & such.... this works.

Moritz
07-25-2007, 07:02 PM
This gives me the idea of giving away some massive ice sword that will do amazing damage until they enter an area of extreme heat, and it melts.

RealmsDM
07-26-2007, 04:15 PM
that's just cruel....

NikoONeil
07-27-2007, 01:29 AM
No, that's just Moritz

Moritz
07-28-2007, 11:56 AM
I love me. :)

Argent
07-29-2007, 11:19 AM
*singing* Fro-sty the Iceblade...

I like the idea. It actually allows for an entire mini-campaign all of its own, especially if there is a reason why the characters need a sword made from this material and have to harvest it themselves.

You could even be cruel and show them an ice-forged weapon before they go, but then destroy it. Think of it: "Yes, according to prophecy E. Ville can only be destroyed by a Blade of Frosty. Luckily we have one in a secure cold-room below the palace...(sound of far off earth-shattering explosion). Hmm...that sounded like it came from the palace. You don't suppose..."

Hilarity ensues.

The Wandering Bard
11-09-2007, 06:17 PM
You know I have to agree with NikeOnNeil, thats Mortiz, Though I don't know him personally, you should read his Magical Items post about the Bag of Holding Money Purse. That's just cruel.

I can see a huge fighter rushing a Fire Salamander, or Fire elemental. He swings damages the sword but when the sword is pulled back for another swing, its the size of a dagger and the thing just laughs at the fighter.

Schmall
05-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Lets add a slight quirk to this nifty sword (aka "Blade of Frosty") just happens to have a ring of fire resistance or warmth forged into the very handle or pommel of the sword, thus possibly granted it resistance to the heat that would otherwise melt it.

Even better, someone paid a wizard wish spell to grant fire/heat protection for "Frosty" to take care of a portal that opened connected the Elemantal Plane of Fire to the Material Plane. Or even have some hero that subdued a noble genie or ifreeti, and extracted a carefully worded wish from thier captive combine with freedom and treasure to insure no tricks (we all know how evil beings are with granting wishes......). Matter of fact, make a session or two for the party to find some way to protect the maginifect blade from it destruction so that it can fullfill the prophecy....

cplmac
05-16-2008, 08:29 PM
I can see a huge fighter rushing a Fire Salamander, or Fire elemental. He swings damages the sword but when the sword is pulled back for another swing, its the size of a dagger and the thing just laughs at the fighter.

:lol:That's just way too funny!

How about when the weapon is first found and someone touches it to see how cold it is. Have their hand stick to it like a tongue on an ice cold pole during Winter.:D

victim666
06-03-2008, 07:51 AM
:lol:That's just way too funny!

How about when the weapon is first found and someone touches it to see how cold it is. Have their hand stick to it like a tongue on an ice cold pole during Winter.:D

:clap2: I must give a standing ovation to this brilliant idea. And the only way to get it off is to stick their hand in boiling water. :)

tesral
06-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Cool idea. Also makes me think of "Ice Druids" that revere these shards and work with them in the same way that normal druids work with the fae. ;)

Gads... no pun intended with my opening.

Sure sure.

I like it. Although I see the typical "let's screw with the players" stuff going on in the posts after this. Why must every interesting idea be turned into either a yo-yo item given and taken away or a means of making it more trouble than it's worth?

I like Farcasters idea for what it is. And yes if I am making a magic blade of power from ice I'm going to protect it from fire.

I can see several possible uses for this.

nijineko
06-08-2008, 04:51 PM
sounds like something that could come from the Land of Black Ice in Greyhawk. nice idea. me personally, i avoid using the outer planes as the sole sources for special materials. in most of my campaigns the only things that are materially unique to the planes are ectoplasm, and "True Elements" (ideal forms of earth, air, water, and fire typically. mostly useful as they are required for planar types to reproduce and can replace material components for spells.) everything else comes from areas of interaction. this gives an economic reason for the planar types to want to access and control areas of the prime material planes.

setting that aside, i like the ideas behind the material and its source. nice potential for moral issues in getting it. is it 'good' or 'moral' for a "good" character to slay a sentient being just to obtain material for a weapon or armor? or even to use material from a known sentient? what if they treat for the substance after one such being is naturally dead? grave robbing, anyone?