PDA

View Full Version : Cursed weapons. Share your character's story.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Cursed weapons. Share your character's story. If one has played long enough, once will eventually get a hold of a cursed weapon-unknowingly.

I had a player pick up a +3 sword. What my character didn't know was that the +3 sword was cursed. Well, our party got into combat with some baddies and the sword was doing its job, my character was pleased. Once the baddies were dead, then the curse went active, for it was like the sword had bloodlust. My character lost control of it and was forced to attack his own party-the closest 'still' living entitites. The party wasn't sure what was happening or how to deal with it. The more evil aligned characters tried to kill me, the others kinda figured the new weapon had something to do with it-a guess from our wise wizard sage. Long story short, it all ended with half the party down for the count, including my character. It could have been worse, much worse, but with some lucky rolls, everyone survived to fight another day.

So everyone, please share your stories of cursed items.

Umiushi
05-03-2009, 03:09 PM
My character found these potions of extra-healing/cure disease that turned out to be addictive. Worse yet, they were manufactured by an orcish tribe. This was in a campaign where the characters spent most of the time in solo play, only getting together for "party adventures," usually an epic dungeon crawl, once every few months. Until I figured out how to get rid of the addiction, while the rest of the party thought I was performing heroic deeds in far-away lands, half of my character's solo adventures involved running errands for my new orcish pals in order to maintain my potion stock.

Oops, I guess this was the cursed weapons thread. I never got hit with any cursed weapons myself, but I have heard of a couple with interesting drawbacks in the local group. One was an ancient magical sword that had seen so much use throughout the ages, it actually gave a penalty to attacks and damage. However, if you really needed a magical weapon to hit a monster, you might get stuck using it in the absence of anything better. Another was a magical blade that always looked like it was very obviously poisoned, regardless of whether it was or wasn't. Just the thing to show off to a wandering paladin or the town guard.

gajenx
05-07-2009, 06:04 PM
It is not normally a cursed weapon but I made it one in games. I Bag of devouring. I would have a fighter disarm a person's weapon and then hand it off to me and I would but the weapon into the bag so it was gone forever. Only once I grabbed the wrong weapon and put the Paladin's holy sword in the bag, so no more uber divine aide there.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-07-2009, 06:30 PM
It is not normally a cursed weapon but I made it one in games. I Bag of devouring. I would have a fighter disarm a person's weapon and then hand it off to me and I would but the weapon into the bag so it was gone forever. Only once I grabbed the wrong weapon and put the Paladin's holy sword in the bag, so no more uber divine aide there.
That's a great one. I'll have to steal the idea.

templeorder
05-08-2009, 04:41 PM
I once had a character pick up the high executioners 2 handed sword (long story) that had a sort of curse on it. The king gave it to him to perform 'special' executions.. it operated like Shadow Door (1st ed. ADnD) in that whenever it would hit, the target would appear to be beheaded but in reality the powers of the blade would send all the items of the target to a specific place in the palace, and turn the naked target invisible so they could escape. In defending their prize, they realized that this apparently 'powerful' sword that killed on one blow was not killing their enemies because invariably they ended up facing them again. They never did find the hidden room with all the gear in it.

Moritz
05-10-2009, 01:33 PM
I believe we'd had a thread like this before. But I may be thinking else-forum. None the less.

Helmet of X-Ray Vision -
1st time donned, character can see many yards through solid objects/walls.
2nd time donned, character can see many yards through solid objects/walls.
3rd time donned, helmet jabs out the eyes of the character, no saving throw.

mnemenoi
05-10-2009, 03:23 PM
+4 Two Handed Spear (Heartblood). An older spear found amongst an Ogres possessions. It allows the user to find whatever they are seeking, prey, whatever. They will know and follow the most direct route to them/it. It will slowly begin transforming them into a Gnoll, being a crafted relic of their god. The transformation will be a slow process and the longer they use it the more they will begin to think/act/feel like a Gnoll.

BrotherDog
05-12-2009, 03:46 AM
These kind of remind of some "Cursed" swords I put in I was running.

+? Jaded Bastard Sword
This is a brass Falchion. When the player wields it, it taunts the user into a distracted state giving a penalty equal to nonproficiency. From then on it insults the wielder in a jaded manner. What a bastard. It avoids the Identify spell, but successful Legend Lore results in that is called the Jaded Bastard Sword.

+5 Radiant Inquisitor
This intelligent, curious short sword favors Rogues and always glows brightly, giving observers a +5 spot bonus. It also continually asks questions of the wielder giving enemies a +5 listen bonus.

Example - The player is trying sneak through the shadows.
Sword - Hey! Why are we being so quiet?!
Player - Shhh...
Sword - Why? Are you trying to sneak up on that guy over there?
Player - I was. Thanks! -
The player then attacks
Sword - Ouch! Why are you hitting him with me? Ouch! That hurts, you know! ....

... you get idea. ;;D

Baron_Samedi
05-13-2009, 08:32 PM
I once had a character many moons ago, who wanted nothing more than some form of a magic weapon. he didn't make a federal case out of it, like some players, so after about eighteen months, his PC found a vampiric blade in an oriental adventures campaign we were running...the catch was that it was sentient and demanded 10HP of 'blood' every time is was unsheathed. His character already had a quick draw ability, which an addendum was added for tense situations, that if a WILL check was failed, he drew his weapon automatically. Sort of a mechanic for being startled. So, the group spent most of their time scaring the poor guy in tense situations, where his sword was drawn, and then he'd HAVE to go find someone to kill or attack. Kind of a tragically geeked out version of Medieval GTA.

be careful what you wish for kids...satan and santa are only a few letters apart.

nijineko
05-14-2009, 01:08 PM
helm of alignment change... i was lawful good. i was the party fighter with 18/53 str. i tore them apart until the finally knocked me unconscious and found someone to remove curse on the helmet. lucky for the party, my character didn't know that the helm gave 3 magic missiles a day, levitation at will, and silence at will with an adjustable radius. otherwise i might have won.

Moritz
05-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Speaking of. The party had a Helm of Opposite Alignment once. They captured an orc to interrogate him about the mass of orcs invading the lands. Using the helm, they converted his alignment to Lawful Good, he shared what information he knew.

Later on in the campaign, the characters ran into the orc who had become a Paladin.

nijineko
05-14-2009, 11:38 PM
i always wondered how that worked, and who decided what was good and evil in such cases. ^^

Moritz
05-15-2009, 09:02 AM
We always went 'opposite'

LE = CG
LG = CE
NG = NE
True Neutral = no effect

Dytrrnikl
05-15-2009, 12:41 PM
In one of our first 3E campaigns, there was a villain that wielded a +2 Kukri. We ended up killing the villain, and my character ended up with the kukri. This was just a normal +2 Kukri, nothing else. Well, for whatever reason, whichever character took possession of the Kukri ended up dying. Everyone ended up having at least one character own the kukri and unfortunately those characters would die, no matter how clever and cautious they were played. With everyone having lost a character, it became a whole adventure arc to rid the party of the "Doomblade" Kukri. The DM didn't give us a cursed weapon, it just turned out that way. The DM took some happenstance and turned it into a great story. I lost a total of three characters because of that damned knife - a halfing fighter that got hit with three arrows two of which were crits, a tiefling paladin that got stabbed in the back of the head by a lamia, and a halfing psionicist that got eaten by a Black Dragon.

Baldwin Stonewood
05-18-2009, 02:23 PM
As a DM, a gave out a load stone to an exceptionally greedy character during my last campaign. We had a player, who joined the group for a short period of time, who was generally disruptive and selfish. This described both the player and the character.

Well, this character was a fighter who wore platemail and every time something died he would rush over saying "I'm looting the body" and his favorite line was "that's mine and I'm grabbing that." Regardless of the other party members.

So, his hand found its way around a smooth black stone that was the size of orange - a load stone. What made this adventure better was the torrential downpour and muddy ground that hampered everyone's movement to begin with. After he found the stone I think his movement was 10 feet given his armor, the rain, and his new gift.

--- Merged from Double Post ---
I currently play a character that is 7 rogue, 3 battle trickster, 2 shadowdancer who had a cursed item until recently. I was a 2 or 3rd level rogue when I found an emerald necklace in a fireplace and blindly, put it on. Turns out the item attracted undead and glowed while undead were nearby.

This was a low magic campaign, so I couldn't get it off my neck for nearly two years of gaming! As a side note, I finally had it removed two games ago.

All the other characters use to call it cursed and they would argue that it attracted undead but I choose to look at the positive, it was my early warning detection device. I always knew when undead were within 100ft as the emerald glowed green.

Grumpy Old Man
05-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Made up a sword on the spot to tone down the power player/rules lawyer of our group. He managed to kill a lawful/good Dwarf cursed with a sword that you couldn't let loose of. The killer of the sword bearer immediately found the sword in his dominant hand and he could not let go of it. Only +2 for battle purposes but the side effects were the killer.

Could not accumulate money or possessions, could not get sick, could not die unless head was removed, (still suffered the pain from mortal wounds just couldn't die from the wounds. His character had to learn to rely on the kindness of strangers to clothe and feed him and he was compelled to aid others for the 2 years he was separated from his party so he became a wandering peace officer fighting robbers and monsters.

Because he couldn't get sick, die or sleep he only got half experience points no matter how difficult his hero tasks were. When the party reassembled 2 years later he was poor, ragged, unhappy because he wanted to be a scholar wizard and he couldn't use magic as long as he held the sword.

A year later, real time, the party Cleric who was blind and his sister, now a Bishop, learned that the spell could be broken by convincing him to kill her with the sword. Took several months real time in the game before she finally talked him into it. He lost the sword but gained the ability to use magic and she not only survived but gained a staff way better than the sword had been. Still a bit of a rules lawyer but not nearly as big a pain in the glutes as he had been.