PDA

View Full Version : Greatest 1st level module ever written?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Greatest 1st level/low level module ever written? For me, B1: In Search of the Unknown, would have to be the best module ever written for low-level characters. It's easily adaptable to all editions, and well as a great starter module for owns own kids.

Rules: Any edition and rpg is fine. If your home brew module is the best of all times, then please share with the rest of us a little about it.

If your favorite of all time isn't DnD, don't fret, feel free to share your module choice and the rpg of said module.

What share the rest of you? Enjoy!

MortonStromgal
05-02-2009, 01:03 PM
I'll bite

RPG Shadowrun
Adventure Mercurial
Why You started as body guards to a rock star and it gives the players a pretty decent (while sometimes railroading) look at the shadowrun world. A great starter adventure to kick off a campaign

Umiushi
05-03-2009, 05:43 AM
There are a bunch of "low-level" adventures for many different systems that I've suspected might be quite good, but rather than speculate, I'll go with what I know. For me, that would be Dungeon Module B2: The Keep on the Borderlands. Most recently, I'm playing it using 3.5 rules, and it's been great. Maybe because I've been familiar with it for so many years, when I think about what being in a D&D adventure is all about, the first images that come to mind are scenes from that setting, like the ogre's cave or the really creepy temple of evil chaos.

If you're willing to stretch the definition of low level to include levels 3-6, then I'd say my runner-up is DL1: Dragons of Despair. I'm not exactly a Dragonlance junkie, but that one was a fantastic way to kick off an Adventure with a capital A. It's also one of the best adventures I've seen in terms of really sweeping up the players and getting them into it, whether they were playing the pre-generated characters or not.

kirksmithicus
05-03-2009, 11:02 PM
B2: Keep on the Borderlands. I want to try and run it as a 4e game too.

drewshi
05-04-2009, 05:21 AM
Keep of the Borderlands. It's what got me hooked.

templeorder
05-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Sinister Secret of Salt Marsh

Webhead
05-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Greatest low-level D&D module for me?:

The Haunted Helm (from Bestiary of Dragons and Giants)

Each time I ran this adventure was a blast. It includes an enchanted helm that wants to be returned to its master's resting place, an enslaved talking dragon and his oblivious rider (back before most dragons were regarded as "talking" creatures), a dangerous mountain pass and the awe-inspiring lair of a white dragon.

Greatest "low-level" non-D&D module for me?:

Tales of the Smoking Blaster (from Star Wars RPG Gamemaster Handbook)

An excellent adventure that throws the characters right into the middle of the action and sets them on a path to get even with the dirty crime lord that double-crossed them. Probably my favorite RPG adventure of all time.

Oldgamer
05-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Man, I was going to say A1-Slave Pits of the Undercity because it led up to the Temple of Elemental Evil series and then into the Queen of the Spiders series but realized A1 was 4th level.

So I'll have to go with my next favorite, and the seemingly popular B1 :biggrin:

Thalion
05-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Fairly new member here.

I agree with the two others. Keep on the Borderlands was a classic.

They don't make modules like that anymore.

Moritz
05-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Keep on the Borderlands.
Isle of Dread.

mnemenoi
05-10-2009, 05:45 PM
FRQ1 - The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar

'Welcome to the picturesque village of Eveningstar, nestled at the foot of the Stonelands where the River Starwater winds down a gorge and snakes into the King's Forest.
Here, the Knights of Myth Drannor began their famous adventures. Here, the Ladies of the Brazen Blade, The Company of the Singing Sword, The Steel Shield Band and many others came, clutching royal charters from King Azoun with the ink scarcely dry on the parchment. Some fell, some went on to greatness - but they all came here first; here to the Haunted Halls.
Despite numerous infiltrations, the Halls have not yet yielded all their secrets or treasures. Many dangers lurk as deadly as ever in dark chambers herein, awaiting new companies of eager-eyes adventurers.
Is it your turn to dare The Haunted Halls? Many come, but few survive to again see Eveningstar's beauty." (Taken from the module)

Loved this starter and was where the Knights in Greenwood's game actually began. A classic setting and great springboard for a Cormyrian campaign.

tesral
05-11-2009, 12:15 AM
My favorite is one that you can't get. Primus Tor. Something I wrote for new players. I suppose it is due an update and posting. It was intended for publication eventually.

nijineko
05-14-2009, 01:21 PM
My favorite is one that you can't get. Primus Tor. Something I wrote for new players. I suppose it is due an update and posting. It was intended for publication eventually.

ooooh. post, please!

Baldwin Stonewood
05-18-2009, 03:10 PM
The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergard module. It is designed to take players from 1st through 7th level but I used this module to create an entire campaign, that we played it for over a year and half. The characters ended up being 14 to 17th level when we stopped. For me this was an exceptional product that stirred interest and creativity.

Oldgamer
05-19-2009, 11:45 AM
The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergard module. It is designed to take players from 1st through 7th level but I used this module to create an entire campaign, that we played it for over a year and half. The characters ended up being 14 to 17th level when we stopped. For me this was an exceptional product that stirred interest and creativity.

I enjoyed DMing that one. Out of the 3.x modules, I liked it and The World's Largest Dungeon, I DM'd some of that one as well.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-19-2009, 11:46 AM
dittos with nijineko. tesral, please post.

Rastfar
05-19-2009, 11:54 AM
I agree - B2 was a classic. In fact we just revisited it in sandbox form in my 3.5 campaign and it was a blast. May I also throw in another suggestion - X2 - Castle Amber?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-19-2009, 12:06 PM
B2 was great. My nephew will be starting his first dnd campaign later this year-he's 6. It will be a highbrid of B1: In Search of the Unknown. Cant wait.

tesral
05-20-2009, 12:59 AM
dittos with nijineko. tesral, please post.

Well the map is here, the rest will require some work to recover.

http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/fantasy/maps/Primus_Tor.JPG

Rook
05-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Hate to jump on the bandwagon, but Keep on the Borderlands is hands-down, regardless of level, best commercially produced adventure period. It allows for expansion, a myriad of different environments, it's adaptable, and well-balanced.
I ran a campaign in which B2 was the group's first adventure and had them return as mid-level characters when the keep was over-run by a resurgence of humanoids led by an ogre-mage. The characters then became lords of the keep and used it as their base of operations for the remainder of their careers.

RoryN
05-21-2009, 03:41 PM
The one I think I liked best for teaching new players the ropes and letting them work into a character was "N4-Treasure Hunt". The players basically started out with characters without a class and their actions throughout the adventure determined what class they would be. I haven't looked at it for a while, so I don't remember if there was a way to come out multi-classed or not, but I used this when we brought in 4 new "part-time" players to our group, and it really helped them to grasp the combat system and how to role play a bit. I think they did a good job of providing some nice entry level modules in Dungeon Magazine as well, although none really come to mind right now (been a long time since I've looked through my collection).

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Took me a second, RoryN, but i found it: http://cgi.ebay.com/Treasure-Hunt-N4-TSR-9185-AD-D-very-fine-RPG-Dungeons_W0QQitemZ290318015268QQihZ019QQcategoryZ4 4113QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksid Zp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Ahhh, the good 'ole days with level 0.

Very cool.

Rook
05-26-2009, 08:36 AM
I had never heard of N4 before and so checked it out online. Looks cool. Thanks for the info RoryN; I'm going to try to pick up a copy.

Rastfar
06-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Anyone wanna sell/trade a copy of N4? I wanna give it a read now,... maybe I can use it to start my next campaign.

:)

Tamburlain
06-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Temple of Elemental Evil (technically, it would be Village of Hommlet)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4a/T1-4ToEECover.jpg