PDA

View Full Version : The pleasantly surprised thread...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-02-2009, 10:38 AM
The pleasantly surprised thread. I came across a Robert E. Howard story, Black Colossus, of Conan that i have never read before, and found myself pleasantly surprised.

What has happened to the rest of you, present of past, that has left you pleasantly surprised?

What share you?

Sascha
05-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Cherry Dr. Pepper was surprisingly tasty.

mrken
05-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Cherry Dr. Pepper was surprisingly tasty.

Sascha, I totally agree with you. Dr. Pepper has been my drink for decades. Only drank Coke or Pepsi because Peppers were not everywhere in the country, kinda like Squirt.

My surprise was when I drank my first Big K Vanilla Cola. It has become my favorite soda. Store brand sodas have always left me under whelmed to the highest degree. Ok when you are thirsty and wanting something cold and sweetly carbonated. This drink opened my eyes and put a smile smack dab in the middle of my mouth. It was better than good, it was great. And cheaper than most national brands. And my kids have formed a preference for it as well and you know how brand consciouses they can be.

kirksmithicus
05-02-2009, 11:19 PM
My wife said, "why don't you take a break for a couple of hours and go to the game store, I'll watch Nate".

Played Dominion and lost by one point. Was a lot of fun though.

Genesplicer
06-04-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm not much for soups. I generaly don't like them at all. But my family was visiting my sister up in New York who attends NYU, and we went to an Irish pub for dinner. Everything came with a soup, so I had potato, just for kicks. Turns out, I love the stuff. It was quite the pleasant surprise.

mrken
06-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Yeah, soups are cool. I like potato soup too. Only thing is, after I have eaten the soup, I get hungry, like I hadn't eaten anything. :(

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-04-2009, 05:28 PM
I get that with pizza, slice after slice. Why cant pizza and donuts be the healthy foods our doctors recommend. If they were, i'd stick with the diet... promise.

So as not to threadjack my own thread, let me just say how pleasantly surprised i am that that my long lost sweetheart has come into my life. More details can be found here: Who was your first love, and when? (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10287)<--another shameless plug brought to you by Thoth. But in this case, I'm bragging on how happy i am she's back in my life.

templeorder
06-04-2009, 07:38 PM
I love British crime drama, but not their regular drama's very much. However, i tried Monarch of the Glen (BBC Scotland) and now i bought the boxed set. Something both the wife and i can both enjoy, though i'm on season 6 and it's a bit lame compared to previous ones.

Freejack
06-04-2009, 08:21 PM
When I was looking to upgrade from a GSXR750 to something bigger, I was looking at GSXR1000's and also peeking at GSX1300R's. I took a test ride on a 1300 and really liked it. As we were leaving, my wife asked if I was going to be getting a GSX1300R eventually? When I said probably, she said "why don't you just get the 1300?" :)

Move forward to last year. We were heading home on a ride and I casually mentioned that my 1300 was getting close to 70,000 miles. She said "time for a new bike, eh?"

Gaming isn't near as expensive as motorcycles. There are five in the garage and I just spent $2,500 on upgrades on the 1300 (I said "why not just tune the current 1300 and save a few bucks?" :) ).

Carl

BrotherDog
06-05-2009, 04:23 AM
During a 2week period transitioning January to February, I had Bronchitis, Strepthroat and Pneumonia simultaeously. My temperature was averging 103, I was pleasantly surprised to later survive a temp of 108.3. I was 19 at the time.

Malruhn
06-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Ummmm, OUCHIES!! That's hot enough to burn hair off from the inside!

I remember the first time my beloved bride told me, "Hey, the playoffs start Saturday night - why don't you go down to the gaming store and see if you can get a game going."

I am SO very lucky she agreed to marry me!!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Thoth is pleasantly surprised how active this Sunday has been for P&PG participation.

Arkhemedes
06-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Okay, this may sound pretty trivial (it is actually) but I got nothing else going this morning. So what the hey?

I do maintenance at the apartment complex where I live, and one of the girls who lives here, who is absolutely drop-dead, fashion model gorgeous and about half my age btw, I've had some nice conversations with her from time to time while fixing things in her apartment. Pretty run-of-the-mill stuff, nothing to get excited about.
This morning though I ran into her at the mail center and she wanted to tell me that today was her moving day (something she had never mentioned before). She's moving to Austin and wanted to say she was going to miss me and wished me good luck. I'm just the maintenance guy, mind you, so yeah, I was definitely pleasantly surprised. Not knowing what else to do I shook her hand and told her to have fun in Austin. Kinda may my day I guess. Keep in mind though, the day has only just begun!

So I'll pass this along - good luck everyone!