PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite beer and/or beverage?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-01-2009, 10:54 PM
What's your favorite beer and/or beverage? I realize that beer fans all have their favorites, be them off the shelf, or special micro beers. So I thought it would be interesting for everyone to share their favorite beer. If you are a non-beer drinker, then please list your favorite beverage. I'll list a few of mine to get the ball rolling...

Mine:

BL Lime(Bud Light w/lime), when the mood strikes. Otherwise, i go with the O'douls(sp?) near-beer.

50-50 mix of A&W Root Beer & A&W Cream Soda, & Mountain Dew: Code Red

What share you?:)

Freejack
05-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Tough question. Actually Diet Coke is my most favorite. I do like Mountain Dew and crushed ice. Nothing alcoholic though.

Carl

Grazak
05-01-2009, 10:59 PM
I am a bit of a beer connoisseur so this thread is right up my alley. I love full flavoured beers. If I buy something off the shelf it will usually be a Sam Adams Boston Lager or one of their seasonal faire. My favourite thing to do though is to head to one of the breweries nearby for their speciality craft beers. Luckily for me Ann Arbor has like 3 breweries in down-town for me to choose from :D

kirksmithicus
05-01-2009, 11:44 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/56/181534523_a57b536cb5.jpg?v=0

Like the sign says, it's GOOD FOR YOU! not mention yummy.

Mindbomb
05-02-2009, 12:12 AM
Corona, 2 limes

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-02-2009, 12:15 AM
Corona, 2 limes
I'm too lazy. I just buy that liquid lime in a lime-shaped plastic container and add a few drops into my Corona. :rolleyes:

Windstar
05-02-2009, 04:22 AM
Don't drink beer often, when I do it has to be Michalob Amber. Normal drink is diet Mt. Dem with Diet A&W as a good alternitive.

:cool:

yukonhorror
05-02-2009, 09:09 AM
For you colorado residents, you have to hit up the great american beer festival.

I had this espresso based stout there call up-all-night stout by westward brothers from OR. It was so tasty.

There was this chili (chile pepper) based beer from CA that was good.

Then this MN company had this raspberry beer that was like juice. It was awesome.

In general I like IPA's and wheat beers. IPA's like Denver Pale Ale, and wheat beers like blue moon and easy street wheat.

But, I like a white russian on any occasion.

As for non-alcoholic, I am getting addicted to strawberry limeades at sonic.

Mindbomb
05-02-2009, 09:53 AM
For you colorado residents, you have to hit up the great american beer festival.

I had this espresso based stout there call up-all-night stout by westward brothers from OR. It was so tasty.

There was this chili (chile pepper) based beer from CA that was good.

Then this MN company had this raspberry beer that was like juice. It was awesome.

In general I like IPA's and wheat beers. IPA's like Denver Pale Ale, and wheat beers like blue moon and easy street wheat.

But, I like a white russian on any occasion.

As for non-alcoholic, I am getting addicted to strawberry limeades at sonic.

Sounds great, perhaps I'll one day reach the rocky state again...

yukonhorror
05-02-2009, 09:59 AM
CO has the most micobreweries per capita in either the country or the world

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-02-2009, 10:08 AM
i like the real thick Irish stuff, the kind where you can see the ingredients flowing to the bottom of the glass.

Sascha
05-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Strawberry malt, yumyum.

MortonStromgal
05-02-2009, 01:10 PM
A Porter from Finland that tastes a lot like dark chocolate. I cant remember the name of it but I buy every bottle I can get my hands on at the beer store when I go at $4 a pop.

mrken
05-02-2009, 05:44 PM

And I had to go and quite drinking back in 84 before I moved out here. lol Somehow, I don't really miss it. Now and again I will remember a double shot of some really old Scotch or some well aged Cabernet.

Bearfoot_Adam
05-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Grazack, as a man from Hell MI I hope you are a fan of Jolly Pumpkin over in Dexter. Some of the most lively complex beers I have ever enjoyed. Their stout is just phenomenal. Another MI beer that I miss terribly is Bells's Hop Slam.
Thankfully there are plenty of micro brews in Portland to wet my pallet. That is until the state passes a 1000% tax increase on all beer sales. Big boo.

As much as I love American micro brews for their big wild flavors I still have to say that the best beers are the Trappists. Those Belgian Monks just know how to make a wonderfully balanced and complex beer. The Rochefort 8 is my favorite

mrken
05-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Thankfully there are plenty of micro brews in Portland to wet my pallet. That is until the state passes a 1000% tax increase on all beer sales. Big boo.

:eek: Is that tax just on beer, or on all adult beverages?

Bearfoot_Adam
05-02-2009, 08:11 PM
The tax is going up 1000% on beer in every form. That means six pack sales and kegs. Were this just for piss beers and imports I might be a little more accepting but this is murder on a local business model that is huge in OR. Portland alone has like 15 micro breweries and there are a good number of others across The state. People are trying to fight it but who knows. Count yourself lucky Mr. Ken Colorado has one of the lowest beer taxes, along with Missouri and Wisconsin. ((Gee. Can anyone guess why?))

kirksmithicus
05-02-2009, 11:27 PM
As for non-alcoholic, I am getting addicted to strawberry limeades at sonic. Who isn't?

Yeah but they are all just kind of ...meh. I got a Flat Tire once in Baggs Wyoming and got into an argument with the bar tender because they charged me for the price of an import, and it comes from Colorado. He said "just consider it a fruity-beer tax"

The tax is going up 1000% on beer in every form. That means six pack sales and kegs. Were this just for piss beers and imports I might be a little more accepting but this is murder on a local business model that is huge in OR. Portland alone has like 15 micro breweries and there are a good number of others across The state. People are trying to fight it but who knows. Count yourself lucky Mr. Ken Colorado has one of the lowest beer taxes, along with Missouri and Wisconsin. ((Gee. Can anyone guess why?))

First, that sucks. Two, yep, no wondering about that.

I used to like Flying Monkey Stout before bud bought them. Quality went down hill after that.

Panthro82
05-03-2009, 01:43 AM
The best beer in existance that is known to mankind is Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale. For those who disagree it is because you havent had it.

Umiushi
05-03-2009, 05:27 AM
On tap, I'll take a Fat Tire any day (sorry, Kirksmithicus). That's on account of not being able to find a drop of grut ale around here for the past few years. Leads, anybody? At home, I have Sapporo in six-pack cans, or bottles of Okocim porter.

Beer isn't my liquor of choice, though. My favorite cocktail is a 3:1 Bombay Sapphire to Martini Extra Dry, served up and dirty, with olives, in a glass washed with lemon juice, and topped off with Laphroaig. If that's too much to bother with, I'll settle for Laphroaig, neat.

For normal consumption, I mostly stick to the tap water, and look to black coffee or espresso a few times a week.

Kaewin
05-03-2009, 06:54 PM
My favorite drink is good old Coke, but if I can have a beer (this means if my wife lets me) I prefer a Killians

nijineko
05-03-2009, 09:56 PM
i am most fond of milk and juices. a&w root beer is also very nice. certain herbals are also enjoyable under sundry circumstances. i've never had alcohol or anything with tea leaves in it in my life.

GoddessGood
05-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Jim Beam. I'm not a drinker, and very rarely partake, but when I took a shot of Jim Beam I said, "This stuff is tasty!" I have the big bottle at home with the handle on it. So white trash :)

Panthro82
05-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Jim Beam. I'm not a drinker, and very rarely partake, but when I took a shot of Jim Beam I said, "This stuff is tasty!" I have the big bottle at home with the handle on it. So white trash :)

What?!? Jugs are white trash now??? I didnt get that memo.. ;)

Kaewin
05-04-2009, 01:41 PM
My aunt used to drink wine from a box

yukonhorror
05-04-2009, 02:11 PM
my grandma drinks super cheap whiskey from a jelly jar.

Fat tire isn't a microbrew. They have a HUGE brewery run by hippies. I heard it is awesome.

As for tax, you mean when they bottle it, right?

I have had taxless beer from coors. Straight from the cold filter. Tasty.

Panthro82
05-04-2009, 02:36 PM
LOL my grampa used to looove wine out of a box! He did comment though that after you drank it you spent alot of time on the toilet.

kirksmithicus
05-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Water, I do like cool clean water on occasion.

Umiushi
05-05-2009, 02:22 AM
Jim Beam, I like. Jim Beam Black, not so much. My favorite bourbon is Old Whiskey River, great in a mint julep!

Panthro82
05-05-2009, 02:32 AM
yea Kirk in the summer thats almost all I drink, Ice cold water. My favorite mixed drink would have to be Grey Goose Lime with Sprite(man what a smooth drink!). I also like Bombay Sapphire Gin with those twister juices(doesnt matter which). An odd one that I created is Goldschlagger(sp?) mixed with milk. It sounds odd but trust me you gotta try it! Regular drinks, gatorade, water, and snapple lemon iced tea.

GoddessGood
05-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Heh, I got nicely toasted on buttery nipples the other day. My sis was in town looking for an apartment for her new job and we had to celebrate. I'm not entirely sure what's in 'em, but butterscotch and baileys are involved.

templeorder
05-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Not that i advocate drinking and gaming (i used to do it a lot, and worse) but my tastes evolved to single malt scotch (Islay are the best for me). I still like a good G&T, and Guinness is awesome. In a nod the 'the dude', i do enjoy a good caucasian (white Russian) as well...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-05-2009, 03:19 PM
When i bartended at this particular hotspot years ago, we sold the good stuff as well as the boxed wine. Surprisingly, once having tried it, the majority of folks found the box wine to be better... even going to far as to keep a box of wine at home in the frig.

Bearfoot_Adam
05-05-2009, 06:50 PM
In a nod the 'the dude', i do enjoy a good caucasian (white Russian) as well...

The Dude abides

Smilin' Jack
05-06-2009, 01:47 AM
Had some of that Trappist just last night. Whoa! Hoppy!

And what guy from Oregon hasn't sampled Dead Guy Ale?

One of my favorites is Opa Opa stout from a local microbrewery; comes in a gallon jug, $1 deposit.

agoraderek
05-06-2009, 02:47 AM
Trappist ales, check. Single malts, check.

Mostly, though, I just drink Shiner Bock.

Umiushi
05-06-2009, 03:46 AM
Not that i advocate drinking and gaming (i used to do it a lot, and worse) but my tastes evolved to single malt scotch (Islay are the best for me).
Islay is where it's at for me, too.

Oldgamer
05-06-2009, 03:12 PM
As far as alcohol goes: beer- It comes down to 2 or 3, my absolute favorite is Guinness Extra Stout, but sometimes I feel like something different and I'll go for a Sam Adams Lager or a nice crisp German beer like Warsteiner or similar.

Wine: Mt. Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon

Liquor: A good single malt Scotch like Talisker, neat of course

Other: Coke Zero or Diet Dr Pepper.

yukonhorror
05-06-2009, 03:15 PM
I forgot to add my favorite wine: Black Tower.

Don't know what kind it is, but it is from germany and AMAZING.

William Murderface
06-06-2009, 10:32 PM
ying ling

Panthro82
06-07-2009, 02:38 AM
oh man I LOVE Ying Ling!!! It is impossible to get where I live though(New Hampshire). I have to buy it when I go visit relatives in NJ

P.S Auron rules

Malruhn
06-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Heh, I got nicely toasted on buttery nipples the other day.
Sorry, but I read that as:
Heh, I got nicely toasted buttery nipples the other day...

Here I was - just thinking about nice drinks and my mind was thrown, bodily, into the gutter. It left a nice mental image though... (sorry!)

After spending three days in the hospital for alcohol poisoning WAY back when I was in my early 20's, I drink for taste nowadays. My drink of choice is Captain Morgan and diet cola, though Warsteiners beer is wonderful. I discovered that I have an allergy to something in domestic beers, so I can only drink imports or a few microbrews... so I stick to the Captain in most cases. :tea:

Oldgamer
06-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Sorry, but I read that as:[quote]Heh, I got nicely toasted buttery nipples the other day...[/quote

Here I was - just thinking about nice drinks and my mind was thrown, bodily, into the gutter. It left a nice mental image though... (sorry!)

After spending three days in the hospital for alcohol poisoning WAY back when I was in my early 20's, I drink for taste nowadays. My drink of choice is Captain Morgan and diet cola, though Warsteiners beer is wonderful. I discovered that I have an allergy to something in domestic beers, so I can only drink imports or a few microbrews... so I stick to the Captain in most cases. :tea:

Mmmm, I love Warsteiners :)

Harwel
06-11-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm a big fan of microbrews, and I have a lot to choose from here in the Pacific Northwest. :D I'm really partial to stouts and porters. My current favorite is Drangonstooth Stout (http://www.elysianbrewing.com/BeerPages/Stout.html) from Elysian Brewing here in Seattle. Great food at the brewpub on Capitol Hill too!

Kaewin
06-11-2009, 01:10 PM
When I used to drink I would go to this little store called the Country Store (real creative) and they have an excellant assortment of bears. They get stuff from around the country and around the world. I liked when they use to carry Casablanca bear from Morrocco. Was some nice stuff. They do alot from Ireland and the UK.

Sometimes I miss beer but I believe I have made a good choice.

Oldgamer
06-11-2009, 01:31 PM
When I used to drink I would go to this little store called the Country Store (real creative) and they have an excellant assortment of bears. They get stuff from around the country and around the world. I liked when they use to carry Casablanca bear from Morrocco. Was some nice stuff. They do alot from Ireland and the UK.

Drinking bears can be hazardous to your health! Much more so than alcohol, so do it in moderation. <badum-bump>

mrken
06-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Hey Kaewin, I too quit drinking. Don't really regret it, but there are times I will think about the taste of my double shot of scotch. I liked it warmed in my hand just a bit.

Moritz
06-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Water - Everything else is water with flavored dirt.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Vodka Red Bull: The drink for those that want to test out their heart chambers.

Thoth thinks that buttery nipples sounds nice, too. What is that e x a c t l y? Odd he doesn't know, he did, after all, bar tend for years.

Harwel
06-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Speaking of buttery, I love hot buttered rum around the winter holidays.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Speaking of buttery, I love hot buttered rum around the winter holidays.
Would you believe that i have never tried that, Harwel. I will have to try it when spending the holidays with my lady.

Just found this: http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/p/136421/1911394.aspx

Panthro82
06-11-2009, 10:22 PM

I know OldGamer said something about this but I couldn't resist. I am more curious as to how one switches from drinking beer to drinking bear? And most importantly at what moment did you realize that you could drink bears? lols :)

Arkhemedes
06-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Hey Kaewin, I too quite drinking. Don't really regret it, but there are times I will think about the taste of my double shot of scotch. I liked it warmed in my hand just a bit.[/quote]

I'm just curious, you're quite certain you quit drinking? :)

mrken
06-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Hey Russell, thanks for checking my spelling, but I am not going to put you on my payroll.

Grimwell
06-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Lately I've been tinkering with the Old Fashioned. It's a very nice whiskey drink.

http://www.grimwell.com/?p=432

korhal23
06-14-2009, 10:16 PM
My favorite alcoholic drink is a Colorado Bulldog... it's basically a White Russian (So, Kaluha, Vodka, and milk) in different proportions, with a shot of Coca-Cola in it too. And then my favorite beer is a tossup between Yuengling or Land Shark.

For non-alcoholic drinks, I've been trying to not drink soda anymore (outside of my Colorado Bulldogs) but when I do it's Dr. Pepper. Other than that, I only drink water.

Harwel
06-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Lately I've been tinkering with the Old Fashioned. It's a very nice whiskey drink.

More of a straight bourbon man myself, but an Old Fashioned or Bourbon Manhattan (my father's favorite) once in a while is nice. Contrary to your page there, I feel a good top-shelf whiskey (of whatever variation, Bourbon, Irish, Scotch, what have you) is fine for sippin' straight up. Shooting or slamming or mixing a 21-year old Glenlivet should be a crime punishable by confiscation of the liquor in question. ;)

Panthro82
06-14-2009, 10:28 PM
If and whenever I drink scotch I prefer Johnny Walker to Glen Livet

Harwel
06-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Don't hurt your back lifting that Johnny Walker off the bottom shelf. :D

Panthro82
06-14-2009, 10:37 PM
lol NOT RED LABEL! Gold is nice, and on special occasions Blue Label is better than any Glen Livet on the market

Umiushi
06-14-2009, 10:37 PM

Loved the blog entry, Grimwell. I abandoned the Old Fashioned back when I had more of a sweet tooth in favor of the Whiskey Sour, which is counter-intuitively even more sugary (at least in the places where I order it). Now that I'm not so into the sweet stuff, I passed up my chance to revisit the Old Fashioned in favor of getting to know Manhattans. It sounds like the recipes from many of the bars you visited are a lot more like contemporary Whiskey Sours to the point where I wonder if some establishments just use the two terms as synonyms for the same cocktail.

Anyway, my big question is what kinds of whiskey have you been using? To my tastebuds at least, there's a big difference between a cocktail made with rye and one made with corn bourbon. Wondrich is in semi-agreement with my tastes here, except that I don't care for Canadian Club no matter how much rye it's supposed to have in it. It's also interesting that Wondrich's online recipe for the Old Fashioned actually uses club soda and a sugar cube, in contrast to the one he wrote for that article you read in Esquire. Personally, I don't think I've ever encountered an Old Fashioned with club soda.

Harwel
06-14-2009, 10:49 PM
lol NOT RED LABEL! Gold is nice, and on special occasions Blue Label is better than any Glen Livet on the market

OK fair enough then. :) You scared me for a minute there! I always associate "Johnny Walker" with the cheap red label stuff unless otherwise specified. Ah, misspent youth.

Panthro82
06-14-2009, 10:55 PM
yea agreed red label is aweful!

Bearfoot_Adam
06-16-2009, 12:20 AM
yea agreed red label is aweful!

Go Blue or go home

Panthro82
06-16-2009, 12:37 AM
Gold isn't half bad either. I usually only drink scotch when I am hanging out with my brother and all he drinks is Johnny Walker. Fun times he'll put my nephews and niece to bed and then he and I will sit down and each have a couple glasses of JW straight on the rocks and play video games lol.

Umiushi
06-16-2009, 04:09 AM
I don't do blends as often as single malts, but I don't have anything bad to say about Blue Label. Gold Label isn't sold around here, so I haven't had the opportunity to try it. I'd actually like to put in a good word for Green Label. It has a combination of smokiness and smoothness that, to my mind, justifies the concept of blending. Also, anything with Talisker in it can't be all bad, categorically. Finally, Black Label may be infamous for being on the "top shelf" of dives, but it was, according to William Manchester, Winston Churchill's favorite whisky, for what that's worth. Of course Winston Churchill played no small role in ruining the martini, so I'm not sure whether this is a point in Black Label's favor or not.

Panthro82
06-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Black is actually not that bad! I agree on green too. I am not a big scotch fan, but Green label is pretty smooth.