PDA

View Full Version : E-book readers. Who uses them?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-01-2009, 09:50 PM
E-book readers. Who uses them?

I've been playing with the idea of picking up an E-book reader. I also realize that there are a few brands to choose from. So, all this being said, will owners of E-book readers(Kindle and Sony come to mind, but i am sure there are others) share with me your opinions on said products, good and bad, and which brand or brands are the best bang for your buck.

Thoth-Amon

What share you?

Windstar
05-07-2009, 07:02 PM
What is an E-Book? I listen to audio books.

:confused::confused:

MortonStromgal
05-07-2009, 07:27 PM
After seeing a kindle in action... I WANT ONE!

Farcaster
05-07-2009, 11:36 PM
I am one of the early adopters for the generation one Kindle and I love mine. The best feature is being able to pick out a book on Amazon and be able to start reading it within sixty seconds. My only qualm with it is that I can't get get my Forgotten Realms fix from it since only a few Salvatore books have been released on it. So, my advice to you before you buy it is to check out the selection of e-books for whatever reader you get. Make sure that the authors and publishers you like are available.

Oh, and check this out, there's now a bigger screen version of the Kindle (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015TCML0?ie=UTF8&tag=penandpaperga-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0015TCML0)!

drewshi
05-08-2009, 04:21 AM
As someone who has written an e-book, a novella for the Star Trek line - http://www.amazon.com/Paradise-Interrupted/dp/B000NY12NC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241774448&sr=8-2 - I have to say I am a proponent of the form. ;) I'm currently trying to convince my school administration that we must have our students purchase readers in order to carry all their texts. They're nervous about the initial layout of $300+ for the unit, but I point out that the students pay upwards of $200 a year in books. This would save the student a lot of money.

Kaewin
05-08-2009, 08:31 AM
I would be interested, then I wouldn't have to sit infront of this thing to read my Dragons. Also if I could d/l White Wolf pdfs I might be interested. This way I wounldn't have to carry everything to the table at once.

White Wolf still sells these right?

Farcaster
05-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Also if I could d/l White Wolf pdfs I might be interested.

The new Kindle coming out this summer will read PDFs natively and it has an almost ten inch screen, so it would probably be more ideal for loading your White Wolf PDFs in.

templeorder
05-08-2009, 02:51 PM
I find i hate getting gadgets for just one thing. I've handled an original amazon Kindle, and i've seen the sony in action. I liked the original Kindle's user experience better. I've not seen the new Kindle, but my friends tell me they rock. You can get a netbook computer for less that does more, but if screen size is a high priority then ebook readers are better. I have used various devices. On my old Nokia (Debian linux) hand held i had several software readers and Tor books puts a lot of its stuff online for free. I have an Acer Aspire One that i read ebooks on just fine - but its not the same experience - the hardware built as readers work so much better for making the transition between print and online... but if computers are your life like me, a smaller, cheap netbook may be a better option. Someday i know the technology and purpose will converge...