PDA

View Full Version : Migraines. Who suffers from them?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Migraines. Who suffers from them?

Well, mine aren't true migraines but spinal pinches that sends tendrils into me brain, and a feeling of my skull collapsing onto my neck-not fun. They can get so bad that my eyes go bloodshot, and i become anti-social to the degree that i wont have a conversation with anyone for quite a few hours. It's just one more reminder that i am mortal.

Who else would like to describe their migraines, possibly the lights they see, swirly-blurry vision, or even the feeling that your eyeballs are about to burst from your head, then please share.

Since everyone here loves to participate, if you've ever dealt with another kind of memorable pain, other than migraines, feel free to share your specific challenges to your constitution score.

What share you?

Thoth-Amon

Freejack
05-01-2009, 10:03 PM
I have an ocular migrane from time to time. When I read or work on the computer too much, my vision washes out a little, like not enough contrast. Then a spot appears about the center of my vision. It's C shaped and widens in my vision. There are connecting lines between the two edges (like pulling cloth apart). It eventually migrates to the edge of my vision and then the full vision comes back.

It looks something like this: http://www.schelin.org/stuff/ocular.migrane.gif (warning, it's somewhat large).

Carl

Edit: Yea, that was the first time it happened. Since then it's been the 'C' thing. I'll have to make a new one since the 'C' one is more common :)

Sascha
05-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Every so often, it's the kind that makes me want to claw my own eyes out; the roommate gets 'em, too, around the same times. Not sure exactly what that means, but I have theories :P

mrken
05-01-2009, 10:51 PM
My wife suffers from them. She says it is like she has an ice pick stuck in her head. When she gets them she has to go into the bedroom where the windows have been foiled up and it is total darkness and lay down for a few hours to the rest of the day. No noise is allowed in the house.

It is my thoughts that stress brings them on, with smells or sounds triggering them. Some of the sounds are like my jazz or blues music or perfume (especially the floral kind for her). One of the women a few desks down is in love with her perfume and likes to put it on rather heavy. I can smell in when I sometimes go in on the weekends.

For me, my worst pain has been an occasional toothache. Getting shot in the mouth with an arrow will do that. But after my heart attack nothing seems close. Felt like an 800 pound gorilla setting on my arm. At that time I would have gladly allowed them to cut it off. Felt like it was going to pop.

yukonhorror
05-02-2009, 09:15 AM
apparently I do. I get those spinal pinches too, and they suck.

I went into work, don't know what triggered it, but all of a sudden there is this flashing light that won't go away in my right eye, then my whole head hurt, then I got really nausous, I went home, and I couldn't wait till we got to the house to throw up (first non-alcoholic related vomiting since high school).

According to the doctor, I have all of the symptoms short of them being recurring (that is the only one I have had). Light and sound sensitivity also. I was also really pale according to my labmate.

GoddessGood
05-04-2009, 09:26 AM
I've had a few. My mother has had them at an alarming rate ever since I was born (obvious jokes aside, there). We think it is due to the fact that she had a procedure done where they drain the spinal fluid to dull the pain of birth. You're supposed to lay perfectly flat, but they left the TV on in her room, so she kept picking her head up to see it and got what they called a spinal migraine. She got them almost every day for a couple of years and had to learn how to work through them or she would have lost her job (clerical work, no less).

The last time I had one was because I was dang stupid. I hadn't had anything to eat that day but a bagel and a slice of deep dish pizza and I had drunk two tall cans of monster to stay awake for the game that night. I sugar crashed and caffeine crashed at the same time. I couldn't stand the light, noises made me nauseous and even standing was an impossible feat. I had to call it 2 hours early that night and it made me very perturbed with myself.