PDA

View Full Version : What was the shortest campaign a character of yours ever played?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-01-2009, 06:54 PM
What was the shortest campaign a character of yours ever played, and be sure to share the gruesome details of his, hers, or its death. All rpgs are welcome.

Mine: Played a halfling or gnome thief in 1E, don't remember which. We, the party, arrived to the outer wall of our 1st adventure(we were all 1st level). My thief, being volunteered to climb it-he was a thief, after all, slipped and fell, and was splattered on the ground below.:eek: Many 1's were rolled. I'll never forget the magic user stating, as if on cue: Next? We all got a laugh out of that one.:laugh:

What share you?

nijineko
05-02-2009, 12:52 PM
i had a first level magic user, and i was the only character. hearing rumors about this haunted castle, i decided to go take a look at the little castle first and get a feel for how dangerous it would be. perhaps it didn't occur to me to try to find some companions first... anyway, i went up to the castle and gave it a once over. sure enough, spooky and creepy. i decided to take a peek inside the front gate, after all the drawbridge was down. no sooner had i stepped on the bridge than some giant toads hopped onto the bridge.

during character creation i had rolled only one hit point.

and i lost initiative.

yeah.

i think that game lasted all of 10 minutes.

MortonStromgal
05-02-2009, 12:58 PM
One combat... the GM quit after one combat. Oh and the game started with the combat.

drewshi
05-02-2009, 07:29 PM
It was the first time I ever played. I think it was Keep of the Borderlands, but I do remember being an Elf in the Basic set and I was alone. I made it past the first encounter and then died as zombies attacked me. I was hooked though. It was so long ago that we didn't have dice but rather little cardboard cards with numbers on them that I picked out of an envelope.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-02-2009, 07:49 PM
One combat... the GM quit after one combat. Oh and the game started with the combat. Wow. I wasn't expecting that as a response. What a horrible way to end an adventure.

It was the first time I ever played. I think it was Keep of the Borderlands, but I do remember being an Elf in the Basic set and I was alone. I made it past the first encounter and then died as zombies attacked me. I was hooked though. It was so long ago that we didn't have dice but rather little cardboard cards with numbers on them that I picked out of an envelope.

B2: Keep on the Borderland brings back great memories. Wish i could go back in time and relive playing that module. Darn Zombies!

Malruhn
05-02-2009, 09:11 PM
When I first started, it was D&D - this was prior to this newfangled "Advanced D&D" stuff - and when it came to monster encounters, we used what was rolled.

It was NOTHING for a first level character to encounter 10-100 orcs in a dungeon, or 30-300 kobolds... in a 10'x10' room. :confused:

My first thousand or more characters died within that first year, and it was nothing to go through several dozen in a weekend.

kirksmithicus
05-02-2009, 11:17 PM
When I first started, it was D&D - this was prior to this newfangled "Advanced D&D" stuff - and when it came to monster encounters, we used what was rolled.

It was NOTHING for a first level character to encounter 10-100 orcs in a dungeon, or 30-300 kobolds... in a 10'x10' room. :confused:

My first thousand or more characters died within that first year, and it was nothing to go through several dozen in a weekend.

Ah yes, the reason for house rule #1. All players start with max HP at first level. That way maybe half of us could make it to the second encounter without having to make a new character. :biggrin:

Malruhn
05-04-2009, 06:46 AM
What the heck does max hit points do for a first level character, when you run into 150 orcs after you break down the door to their room? Ooh, then it takes TWO hits to kill you... while the other 148 go on having tea and scones.

MortonStromgal
05-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Wow. I wasn't expecting that as a response. What a horrible way to end an adventure.

Oh the whole story is worse. So this guy puts out an add for looking for people who want to learn to play exalted 2e. So I rope two other suckers and we all show up and the GM had two other guys. He throws the single copy of the book and says make characters and wonders off. None of us had ever played exalted 2e and only two of us had ever played exalted at all. So we scramble and try to figure things out when the GM shows up again and one of the players ask is there any type of character that would be useful and the GM says no worries he can roll with any character type and then wonders off to who knows where again. So we sit around and talk it out and decided whos social whos combat whos mental etc. Eventually the GM wonders back in and says hes got to leave for an hour but just chill and he'll be back. So we finish up our characters and wait. After about an hour and a half he shows back up and says hes ready to go (now over 6 hours since we arrived). So we start out on a ship and we dock in town (and thats about the length he descibes it at). Now a dragon blooded attack you with his army (he added a tad bit more discription but it wasnt much). Roll initiative. We finish combat and he says thats all I got, I just wanted to see how combat works. :confused: we leave and about a month later the GM emails me and says heh I'm starting a D&D 4e campaign... I said no thanks.

[edit] In the GMs defense we were under the impression the exalted game would be a one shot or at leased a short campaign.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Oh the whole story is worse. So this guy puts out an add for looking for people who want to learn to play exalted 2e. So I rope two other suckers and we all show up and the GM had two other guys. He throws the single copy of the book and says make characters and wonders off. None of us had ever played exalted 2e and only two of us had ever played exalted at all. So we scramble and try to figure things out when the GM shows up again and one of the players ask is there any type of character that would be useful and the GM says no worries he can roll with any character type and then wonders off to who knows where again. So we sit around and talk it out and decided whos social whos combat whos mental etc. Eventually the GM wonders back in and says hes got to leave for an hour but just chill and he'll be back. So we finish up our characters and wait. After about an hour and a half he shows back up and says hes ready to go (now over 6 hours since we arrived). So we start out on a ship and we dock in town (and thats about the length he descibes it at). Now a dragon blooded attack you with his army (he added a tad bit more discription but it wasnt much). Roll initiative. We finish combat and he says thats all I got, I just wanted to see how combat works. :confused: we leave and about a month later the GM emails me and says heh I'm starting a D&D 4e campaign... I said no thanks.
I don't blame you. I would go out of my way to avoid this guy in any future games.

Kaewin
05-04-2009, 11:44 AM
I ran a little a couple of months ago and killed the first party in combat. Theyt had bad luck and unfortunatlely I didn't have a screen. We switched back to our mage game again.

templeorder
05-06-2009, 12:56 PM
First time i ever ran Keep on the Borderlands... the [first level] party starts mouthing off the the guards at the gate. Two halberd slashes later and half the group was dead. The rest of the fight did not go well... bam, 5 minutes, adventure done!

yukonhorror
05-06-2009, 01:25 PM
thought I already responded. Basically we were to recover something from a goblin cave, got ambushed and hot oil poured on us, and it eventually evolved into TPK. That kind of killed my momentum and was off of gaming for a long time.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
oh, and the first game I got really into after the previous one. I knew my friends were playing, and I thought, I'll crash in and watch. They eventually convinced me to play. I made up an illusionist thief gnome, and apparently there was a NPC IT gnome already who stole something of the parties. So I became his replacement. That night we go down into the dungeons below the mansion of the elvish vampire, and we have to swim underwater to reach the next portion. I rolled 3 bad con rolls in a row and drowned. This is described further in memorable character deaths thread.

I rolled up a new character, but that was the longest that character got to live.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-06-2009, 02:20 PM
thought I already responded. Basically we were to recover something from a goblin cave, got ambushed and hot oil poured on us, and it eventually evolved into TPK. That kind of killed my momentum and was off of gaming for a long time.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
oh, and the first game I got really into after the previous one. I knew my friends were playing, and I thought, I'll crash in and watch. They eventually convinced me to play. I made up an illusionist thief gnome, and apparently there was a NPC IT gnome already who stole something of the parties. So I became his replacement. That night we go down into the dungeons below the mansion of the elvish vampire, and we have to swim underwater to reach the next portion. I rolled 3 bad con rolls in a row and drowned. This is described further in memorable character deaths thread.

I rolled up a new character, but that was the longest that character got to live.
Points for playing the coolest race/class/es combination, evaaaaar!

Windstar
05-06-2009, 08:07 PM
My first character, made a fighter, group was 5th or 6th level, but DM insisted I start out 1st level, first encounter, first blow, gone. went thru 2 more fighters till I made a thief and hid in shadows and did backstabs till I caught up to the group.

:cool::lol::biggrin:

Webhead
05-06-2009, 08:17 PM
My first time playing an RPG ever. Just the GM and myself. We played (freeform, no rules) D&D. I was a human warrior in an unnamed trading town. In town square I saw a large pool/fountain with a sign on it. I attempted to read the sign only to be told that I saw "a bunch of symbols and scratches which are probably letters"...thus I discovered that my character was illiterate.

So I approach a pair of guards near the fountain to ask what the sign says. I learn that the guards are Elves and that these two apparently have a great disgust for humans. They tell me to bugger off. I linger to attempt to ask for their help one last time and this upsets them. One of them lunges at me with his spear. I draw my sword to defend myself and I am arrested for assaulting an officer of the peace. My sentence is to be thrown into a shark tank for the amusement of the observing masses. After a brief underwater struggle, I am eaten by the shark. Game over.

I was hooked after that...

Mead
05-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Wasn't my character, but a rather appropriately-named buddy's. Call of Cthulhu, we used to do a campaign of sorts based around Clemson University. And in populated areas, it's easy to drop a replacement into a CoC game. What we'd do is basically keep playing, add the new character to the group immediately and let the player speedroll as we went along. Sometimes we'd have spares ready to go, sometimes we'd run out of them.

Well, Darwin's first character got torn apart doing something or other, and before he could get his replacement fully rolled up, he was injured, left behind, and eaten as we were chased by a gibbering horde. Lifespan of never-named character: approximately three minutes from table to bin.

templeorder
05-08-2009, 12:34 PM
So, i posted about the shortest i ever had as a GM, but i remember my shortest as a player was with a party (another run of keep on the border lands - ok, so it was popular when there were not many modules out!) where i was a thief and the tricksy gnome illusionist cast phantasmal force, thinking it would sure be funny. So i tie off the phantasmal rope and shimmy down the cliff, intending to drop on the orge as it comes out of the cave mouth - plunging to my death since the rope was illusory. haha.
:laugh:

BrotherDog
05-16-2009, 04:44 AM
Not if this will count. There have been at least 30 times that I have rolled up a character, and I never got to play them.

Webhead
05-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Not if this will count. There have been at least 30 times that I have rolled up a character, and I never got to play them.

Oh yeah, I don't think we need to go there. I've lost count of the number of unused PCs I've created for various games.

Oh, and there was the one time my Traveller character died during character creation, so I guess that would make him the shortest-lived PC I've ever had.

templeorder
05-20-2009, 10:21 AM

Yea, i think this happens to everyone at some point in their gaming career. I've tracked all the characters i have ever had that i could remember, except some of the really early ones before i started tracking. But there's probably more i never got to play for one reason or another...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Oh wait, i remember my very first gaming session, back around 1975-1976. We were going up this field, surrounded on both sides by forests(think The Last of the Mohicans, where they were attacked on both sides by Indians), and were attacked by goblins, or something. I really cant recall. Well, long story short, my character was picked off by an arrow. Ever since that game, i have been hooked on dnd.

Rook
05-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Having DM'd exclusively for quite some time, I was really stoked when one of my players offered to DM a campaign he had designed. I spent several nights creating and designing an interesting character that I hoped to develop into a legendary figure. Vortigern (destined to one-day be Lord Vortigern, Champion of the Light) took the lead of a small band of intrepid adventurers to clear a humanoid stronghold that had developed beneath ruins of an ancient keep and was raiding the neighboring villages. As he drew his sword and crossed over the slime-covered moat to enter the keep, the rotted drawbridge gave way, dropping him into the stagnant water. Hindered by his heavy armor, the deep water, and the muddy sides of the moat, Vortigern was overcome by the giant frogs (!) that made their home in the moat before his fellows could aid him. How embarassing...