PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Still doing BattleTech?

menyou6874
05-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Do you remember when you used to grab your 'Mechs and launch a VW Bug at a friend from a PPC Launcher off of an Atlas?

Do you remember when you used to dance in a circle of flames from a friends salvo of rockets off of the IIC Archer?

Do you remember when you laughed your heads off and jumped up and down when you got a crit on a head shot from your friends favorite mech?

I remember those days...so I have to ask...is anyone still doing BattleTech?

yukonhorror
05-01-2009, 03:33 PM
no, but I have started using maptools, and realized, HOLY COW, you could play battletech with this.

We never did the RP side of it, but we always had fun playing and making mechs. I still have the mech maker on my PC.

DragonmagRT
05-01-2009, 04:35 PM
I used to play in highschool. I had alot of the books, too. Probably still do back home. I would like to but there are so few takers around these parts that it will probably end up a non-starter.

yukonhorror
05-01-2009, 06:58 PM
HOWEVER, if you want to play, I wouldn't mind maybe setting something up. Maybe set up a sort of tournament

4 players, 5 rds, most confirmed kills wins.

10 ton mechs
30 ton mechs
60 ton mechs
100 ton mechs
and a 2-mech 100 ton team (two mechs weight add up to 100 tons).

3rd edition inner sphere weapons tech only. Something like that.

yukonhorror
05-05-2009, 12:25 PM
I am going to put a campaign invite. My sat game died, so this might be a nice filler.

mnemenoi
05-05-2009, 08:05 PM
I loved that game, great fun at conventions. I saw they had put out a 4th edition (same owners of Shadowrun, whom did the same for it as well) I had actually tossed around picking it up, for nostalgia if nothing else.

We played Mechwarrior, Battletech, and used some AerTech. never picked up CityTech, but it was a great game and translated well into the 'video game world' as well without losing its flavor.

Great call on reminding everyone what fun it was...

Mead
05-06-2009, 09:23 AM
I still play, even though it's only once a year when the college gang gets together for MemDay monkeyfest, and that reminds me, I have a company of House Ma Tsu Kai mechs that I need to paint.

I miss the MUSE/MUSH games of the mid-90s. There was one recently but it got shut down for lack of interest.

menyou6874
05-07-2009, 06:23 AM
I am trying to get some folks togethor, I have a couple of miniature cases with a couple of squads of archers that was the front line of my behemoths - we never got into the rules much more than the round by round play. I always wanted to get into the rules about shooting as some of these mech's launched or jumped...I have some books but just the basic rules book and tech manuals. I go to GenCon every year so will look into more there.

That reminds me, does anyone remember Star Fleet Battles? I'll start a thread on that too....

Fersboo
06-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Classic Battletech has started to take off again. I wandered back into it when I was exploring a game store in my area for the first time. They are currently releasing a new version as well as updating the setting (some of us older grognards are resisting and sticking with the earlier timeline).

I've got the new boxset, as well as the first 3 new hardcover rulebooks (of 6, IIRC). The 4th book has only been released as a .pdf and I believe the revised RPG will be the 5th book.

SilenzZzz
06-09-2009, 10:51 AM
i loved playing the classic battletech .. some of my friends and me had even rewritten the rules a bit .. to allow 200ton mechs but with slower movement and so forth ...

on the nights we were not playing MtG or D&D . battletech is what we played.

cigamnogard
06-09-2009, 06:05 PM
My son and step-son are almost of age and have been itching to play after looking at all my figs for years.

tesral
06-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Funny, I have several of the old mechs on my shelf here. I bought the game and didn't really get into it. My son discovered it and glommed onto it. He played it pretty hard for a couple of years.

yukonhorror
06-12-2009, 09:31 AM
there is an RP element, but we only did it for the combat element (as a break from D&D).

I always thought of it as chess with missiles and lasers.

Harwel
06-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Years ago, playing a homebrew RPG, we had a couple of campaigns that were battletech inspired. It worked out quite well. Even though it eventually ended in as close to a total party kill as I've ever been, fun was had by all. That was over 10 years ago now though.

cigamnogard
06-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Played a D&D monster test for another DM on Wednesday night. One of the players said he would be interested in a new campaign...

Bob the Dalek
07-18-2009, 08:07 PM
I still have my 1985 unseen box set and play little skirmishes by myself for fun. Y'know when I'm waiting for things to pop up in the auction house.

wbrandel
07-20-2009, 01:05 PM
I loved the classic battletech. Me and my friends played that and D&D on a regular basis, alternating weeks, we had started a home brew campaign/strategy game where we had to keep track of our warships and other equipment (we only started with so much) because as we battled the equipment that was lost had to be replaced. the last battle we did was an invasion of a planet 37 warships, over 150 dropships, and only God knows how many aerospace fighters. three days later we were at the planet and dropships were entering the atmosphere when we took a break' a long one it turns out 10 years long and counting.

cigamnogard
07-20-2009, 01:34 PM
So, do you think the new game set in 3015 will restart Batteletech then?

mrken
07-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Putting a bigger number on it will do nothing for it. Giving the old game some support and stirring up interest might. It is a great game, the only reason it died was because they sold a mountain of minis. Everyone who wanted to play it had a boat load already. Not being about to sell any more minis made the manufactures uninterested and they dropped the game. Those of us who have the pieces can play the game the rest of our lives. I just use the minis for sci-fi games now.

cigamnogard
07-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Putting a bigger number on it will do nothing for it.

Huh? 3015 is a reboot! The 3rd Succesion War is still going on and the Clans are Wolfs Dragoons as a scouting force using cast off equiptment I believe may have just arrived.
Bigger number? LOL!
--- Merged from Double Post ---
http://www.macommunity.net/the-3015-era-pilot-perspective-vf33-vt2143-vp18078.html

Bob the Dalek
07-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Huh? 3015 is a reboot! The 3rd Succesion War is still going on and the Clans are Wolfs Dragoons as a scouting force using cast off equiptment I believe may have just arrived.
Bigger number? LOL!
http://www.macommunity.net/the-3015-era-pilot-perspective-vf33-vt2143-vp18078.html

You're confusing the Mechwarrior title for the CBT game, I think. The new Mechwarrior game will be PC and xbox like the old mechwarrior series, but rebooted.

CBT(Classic Battletech) putting out a new 3015 sourcebook won't reboot anything.

cigamnogard
07-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Yes, the new 3015 console game in my opinion should generate more intrest in the table toptop version as well.
I am still waiting for them to do the Amaris Coup and then the Star League Army invasion of the Star Legue (yes, I wrote that correctly).

Mead
07-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Bigger number? LOL!

WD never had cast-off equipment. The whole thing about them was that they showed up out of nowhere (in 3005) with 5 regiments of pristine Star League and 3025-class mechs, in an age where the best mechs were duct-taped-and-baling-wired family heirlooms handed down for multiple generations.

templeorder
07-21-2009, 10:56 PM
A friend of mine has some of his own rules under review for official publishing for a version of Battle Tech here:
http://www.incarna.net/iweb/host/jimaske/battle/battlehome.shtml

This is a preview site, not official.

cigamnogard
07-22-2009, 02:35 PM
WD never had cast-off equipment. The whole thing about them was that they showed up out of nowhere (in 3005) with 5 regiments of pristine Star League and 3025-class mechs, in an age where the best mechs were duct-taped-and-baling-wired family heirlooms handed down for multiple generations.

Yes, WD did have cast off equiptment - CLAN equiptment. They had to leave some of it behind which later ends up costing the life of Jaime's son.

WhiteTiger
07-22-2009, 03:54 PM
I haven't played it in 10 years... I wouldn't mind a small pick up game but I have no big interest in it anymore...

cigamnogard
07-22-2009, 05:01 PM
That's too bad as some of the best stuff has been created in the past few years.

Descronan
08-07-2009, 11:47 AM
I used to love designing mechs but we rarely ever used the ones from the books. And good god it took forever to run through combat! You were lucky if you could get two mechs down in three hours.

Bottom line, it needed to be more destructive! The weapons should have caused more damage and managing your mech needed to be quicker. I spent a lot of time trying to tweak the rules to do just those things, but no one wanted to try it out.

Part of the problem with the game was the completely unrealistic, cumbersome, and tedious with spurts of excitement - a lot like baseball.:laugh:

I don't think it wil make a comeback without some major tweaking of the rules.

cigamnogard
08-07-2009, 10:41 PM
I used to love designing mechs but we rarely ever used the ones from the books. And good god it took forever to run through combat! You were lucky if you could get two mechs down in three hours.

I think you were playing with too large of 'Mechs. A GARM with a RAC/5 will finish most medium to heavy in two rounds and it is a light 'Mech moving at 5-8

Mead
08-14-2009, 04:55 PM
I've really ramped up my megamek games. Playing in two campaigns so far. Last night we got curbstomped by nearly 3x bv worth of Clamtech against our mostly TL1 force. The GM for that one is new.

The other one is a friendly competitive merc company & contracts game. Fun stuff.

Although using megamek really makes me struggle with the numbers when I play tabletop. It's easy to forget all that and let a program handle it.

cigamnogard
08-14-2009, 05:44 PM
I have always wanted to play - how?

Mead
08-16-2009, 05:24 AM
http://www.mekwars.org/

Best way to get started and learn megamek is to go here and start playing MegaMekNet. Online 'campaign' structure sort of like a game lobby that tracks your cash, units, etc.

cigamnogard
08-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Any tips/suggestions/hints?

cigamnogard
04-28-2010, 07:46 PM
I'll take that as a "no"...

Fersboo
04-29-2010, 07:55 AM
I'll take that as a "no"...

Actually you are on the wrong forums to ask for help/guidance about learning Battletech. May I suggest you try Classicbattletech.com (you'll find a couple of us under the same alias there)? They have quick start rules available for free download and a ton of people posting in thier forums.

cigamnogard
04-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Actually I know how to play Battletech pretty much in my sleep - I was asking about MegaMekNet.

Fersboo
04-30-2010, 08:32 AM
Actually I know how to play Battletech pretty much in my sleep - I was asking about MegaMekNet.

Same as above.

cigamnogard
04-30-2010, 05:00 PM
And people wonder why Battletech is not as popular...

Fersboo
05-02-2010, 09:48 AM
And people wonder why Battletech is not as popular...

No need to be snippy. You are inquiring about a game that isn't really related to rpgs on a forum devoted to rpgs and I am saying go to the forums dedicated to playing BT. I haven't played much MegaMek but know there is a large group that do that are discussing it at Classicbattletech.com. Don't project your laziness to go there to learn about the game to BT & BT players' lack of popularity.

yukonhorror
05-03-2010, 07:41 AM
I hate to be snippy, but this site is dedicated to pen and paper games (not just RPGs), which is what BT is. So it has just as much a place as any rpg.

tesral
05-04-2010, 12:48 AM
I like Pie.

cigamnogard
05-04-2010, 07:27 PM
I hate to be snippy, but this site is dedicated to pen and paper games (not just RPGs), which is what BT is. So it has just as much a place as any rpg.
I thought about stating this as well and I am glad someone else said it. I was surprised when I read the comment that I should go elsewhere. To be honest I once was - on another battletech site; I used to be on Lords of the Battlefield quite a bit but I grew tired of the newbie bashing and the other 'politics'. Now maybe things have changed I don't know but I do know I am quite happy here.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

I like Pie.
Me too!

Matt James
05-30-2010, 10:16 AM
BattleTech is most definitely a Pen & Paper game! I used to play heavily several years back but I have been slacking off. Time to dust off the Marauders and get back to playing!

cigamnogard
05-31-2010, 05:55 PM
MMMMmmmmmmm.... Marauders!
:)

michaelsbagley
06-08-2010, 03:27 PM
I picked up an old box set of the Battletech rules last Christmas at a local used book store. Got an amazing deal on it, because the box had some extra rulebooks in it (one of the technical manuals, and the rule companion and maybe something else as well). The wife actually bought it for me for X-mas, and I think she only paid $12 for it. I have played it a few times over the last year, but finding players has not been easy.

I always liked the game, more so the miniature battles angle than the "Mechwarrior" role playing rules, but it is all good.

Dunkelzahn
06-11-2010, 03:15 PM
I know there's quite a following here in Texas, predominantly in Houston, but there is a growing interest in the DFW area...not sure that's of great assistance to any of you out there in the world though.