PDA

View Full Version : Determinining "to hit" bonuses

Otakar
05-01-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm embarassed to say it but I have Adult ADD. I think I see inconsistencies in how to determine "to hit" bonuses for characters. Can someone give me a basic example to follow from character creation. Thanks!

yukonhorror
05-01-2009, 02:22 PM
not sure what you mean, but basic formula

if using a weapon

attribute bonus (like str or dex) + weapon proficiency bonus + 1/2 character level (round down) + magic bonus from weapon + any feat bonuses

So my level 17 avenger is using a longsword to do one of his at-will atks. He has a +4 longsword and weapon expertise and a 22 wisdom.

+6 (wis modifier) + 3 (weapon prof) + 8 (17/2 rounded down) + 4 (magic bonus) + 2 (bonus from weapon expertise) = +25 to hit

roll 1d20 (6) +25 and compare to target's defense (AC = 31). If greater than or equal to, you hit. 6+25=31 which is equal to target's defense, so you hit. Hooray, deal damage and see what effect it has.

Otakar
05-01-2009, 02:33 PM
So the avenger get's a +3 weapon proficiency with any Simple Melee, Military Melee, and Simple Ranged, is that correct?

yukonhorror
05-01-2009, 02:43 PM
no the prof bonus is specific to weapon. It is in the weapon table.

Most heavy blades get +3, most others get +2. Long swords, short swords, great swords, all +3, but war hammer, waraxe, etc... is +2. check the table to confirm this.

Otakar
05-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Okay. Does the PHB state the limit to the number of weapons that a character can have proficiency?

yukonhorror
05-01-2009, 05:01 PM
No.

The class will say which type of weapons it is proficient in. So if it is proficient in simple melee, all simple melee provide the proficiency bonus when used. Of course you can become proficient in other weapons by taking the weapon proficiency feat.

The limit is how many weapons are published with stats.

Dimthar
05-01-2009, 05:40 PM
I can only say that I tried the Character Builder Demo for 4E and is very good. Now you will have to suscribe if you want to move your character beyond 3rd Level.

It details all the bonuses for each power.

Otakar
05-01-2009, 08:54 PM
This is a big help. I was running a game thinking that the weapon proficiencies meant that those were the weapons to which the characters were limited.

yukonhorror
05-01-2009, 09:16 PM
everything good then?

Valdar
05-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Another simple guideline: AC defenses are typically 2 higher than non-AC defenses (NADs)- Fort, Ref, and Will. To offset this, you typically get a weapon proficiency bonus when attacking AC, but not when attacking NADs.

So, if your target's AC is too high to hit, go for the NADs... :drum:

Otakar
05-05-2009, 09:06 AM
So, if your target's AC is too high to hit, go for the NADs... :drum:
We found out last night that works for the monsters too. One character had a 10 Fort. Luckily I'm a cruddy roller and only hit him once. ;)

Again, everyone, thanks for the assist. I tried to go through the board linked to WotC but it's a quagmire and I just didn't have the time to sort through it. BTW my game went well last night, thanks to you all!
:clap2: