PDA

View Full Version : What's your alternate, secondary weapon?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Played in a game years ago, through a bunch of bad roles, my character lost his primary weapon and had to make due with his alternate, or secondary, weapon/s, you had to make due with.

So everyone, please share with us
1) Your character, and class
2) Which rpg, and edition, if applicable
3) Your primary weapon that you lost
4) Your alternate, secondary weapon/s

I'll begin:

1) Human Fighter
2) DnD 2E (S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks)
3) 2-handed Sword, broke while trying to open the steel door, rolled 1's :eek:
4) Long sword collected from an earlier battle. Fighter had no skills with it. Oh well, it was better than a dagger.

Just thought of another, and more recent, situation:
1) Ogre, unofficial rules
2) WFRP, 1E
3) Wielded a huge sword. Rolled 1's. Sword stuck in cranium of a Chaos Troll (can grow to 18+ feet in WFRP), and found there wasn't enough time to remove it w/o giving multiple Beastmen a free attack. Long, kinda sickly, but humorous story. :eek:
4) Started throwing carcasses at the bad guys. Desperate times calls for desperate measures. It did buy him enough time till help arrived. Had to use a small tree truck after that as a club. Eventually replaced sword.

What share you?

Thoth-Amon

Windstar
04-30-2009, 06:25 AM
1) Ranger
2) DnD 2 sorta, Homebrew Mod Underdark
3) Comp Longbow, String cut by drow in ambush
4) Confiscated her hand Crossbow.

Oh well, it was better than a dagger.

Lucian-Sunaka
04-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Note to self: Always carry spare bowstrings, that way if the GM makes the mistake of detailing the bowstring being cut as how it was messed up in combat you can just replace it once you get a little space. (I'm guessing a full round to string a bow, but of course D&D doesn't have enough realism in the rules to include something like that lol)

yukonhorror
04-30-2009, 09:18 AM
my favorite was not my own, but a friends.

In 1e DnD, my illusionist/thief gnome friend lost his short sword, and all we could afford was a burlap sack full of doorknobs.

cplmac
04-30-2009, 11:27 AM
2E, playing over in Saudi in 91.

Playing the dwarf fighter, Flemin. We were ambushed by a group of goblins. While fighting, rolled a 1 and was told that I droped my battle axe. On my next attack, DM asked if I wanted to use my turn to pick my axe back up. Told him no, I just swing my other arm that had my shield. This time i rolled a 18 and sent one of the goblins flying. While the rest were watching their fellow fly through the air, it allowed the mage to cast a web spell that caught 3/4 of them. The remaining 1/4 fled.

GoddessGood
04-30-2009, 12:41 PM
1) Arzeck the Red, a.k.a. Arczek the Wanderer, Zenith Caste Solar
2) Exalted 1st edition
3) He dual wielded a short sword and a spear. We were on a ship (not my PC's favorite mode of transportation) and were boarded by unfriendlies. In the fight (in which my weapons were not available, since it was unexpected), he was thrown overboard. He managed to climb back onto the ship via a convenient dangling rope.
4) He then stripped off his wet leather jacket and siezed a mop, snapping the head off of it. It was ruled that the mop handle could count as a spear and using that and the wet leather jacket as an improvised whip, he went to town on the baddies.

Improvised weapons are always made of win.

kirksmithicus
04-30-2009, 12:49 PM
backup weapons, shield, head, fist, rock pretty much anything at hand. My character once tried to strangle a guy with a sling.

I once had a player lose his +5 sword. So he pulled up his other + 5 sword after perusing his three page list of equipment. *sigh* Turns out he kept everything, from every encounter, for a long, long, long, time. With calculator in hand, I finally had to be an ass about the encumbrance rules.

Windstar
04-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Note to self: Always carry spare bowstrings, that way if the GM makes the mistake of detailing the bowstring being cut as how it was messed up in combat you can just replace it once you get a little space. (I'm guessing a full round to string a bow, but of course D&D doesn't have enough realism in the rules to include something like that lol)

Where were you when I was buying supplies, you could have reminded me... Gee Thanks for the non help ROFLMO

:cool::cool:

Moritz
05-01-2009, 10:06 AM
It's what ever I happen to pull off the weapon using enemy I just killed.

nijineko
05-02-2009, 01:22 PM
i think mine is usually the shao-lin kung fu approved method of dealing with aggression.

(in the common vernacular, "run away.")

Windstar
05-03-2009, 06:22 AM
backup weapons, shield, head, fist, rock pretty much anything at hand. My character once tried to strangle a guy with a sling.

I once had a player lose his +5 sword. So he pulled up his other + 5 sword after perusing his three page list of equipment. *sigh* Turns out he kept everything, from every encounter, for a long, long, long, time. With calculator in hand, I finally had to be an ass about the encumbrance rules.

I don't see that as you being an ass, myself and those DM's I have played with, have always kept on eye on the players carrying too much, tho we are not strict about just give player a nudge. Though even then you sometimes have to firm with them.. But I have found bags of holding to be extrenely useful.

:cool::cool:

gajenx
05-03-2009, 10:22 AM
my favorite secondary was for a elf cleric in a 3.5 D&D game

I was given a worthwhile sword to use and instead when the lead of some band of highwaymen/ thugs attacked I threw the used chamberpot on them.

Does that count?

templeorder
05-05-2009, 11:22 PM
1) Patrick (the drunken cast out priest)
http://www.incarna.net/iweb/host/kelly/rpgs/_chars/patrick/
2) Incarna, version 1.0
3) walking stick - its primary self defense in Crow Alley and the slums where he preaches
4) "improvised" (character took familiarity) - begging bowl, rock, robe tie... when you stumble drunk into a fight, you have to use anything on hand

nijineko
05-14-2009, 12:50 PM
my grey elven archer's bow is a bow-staff, so he can use that as a staff, or the mirror sword he found as a backup weapon, for when he can't keep the distance. the mirror sword is an unusual weapon in that it creates an illusionary duplicate in the opposite hand that only deals subdual damage. the sword and it's double can swap hands at a mere thought.

Baldwin Stonewood
05-18-2009, 03:29 PM
I currently play in a homebrew 3.5 where I have an elf rogue. When he was a low level rogue he had to use a knife when he dropped his primary weapon, a dagger.

That same campaign, one of the players had to use a bucket.

TheRageOfGaia
05-19-2009, 01:46 AM
1.) Elf Rogue (Pirate)
2.) D&D 3e
3.) Rapier (taken by a giant squid)
4.) Torch, it was the only thing I had handy.

1.) Gnome Wizard
2.) D&D 3e - Dragonlance
3.) Wand of Magic Missile (out of juice)
4.) Wrench (lt. mace)

BrotherDog
05-19-2009, 03:44 AM
Reguardlees of class or level, I always remember to bring my towel.

templeorder
05-19-2009, 09:59 AM
"towelie, your the worst character ever"

Rook
05-20-2009, 07:50 PM
1st edition AD&D, playing a paladin with gauntlets of ogre power and wielding a 2h sword against a horde of skeletons. Fumbled the sword, dropping it into an underground lake. Our magi-user and cleric were downed previously by the evil wizard who controlled the skeletons and all that was between them and the walking dead was me and a dwarven "lord" who had led us into the catacombs but had shown himself a coward in the battle. Since he was the only thing at hand, I grabbed him and pitched him, Colossus-Wolverine-fastball-special-style at the skeletons. The throw actually took out several skeletons and the dwarf lashed out in complete terror with his mace, destroying several more and giving me the chance to lay hands on the cleric who turned the remainder of the horde.

MuslixtheMighty
07-25-2009, 09:20 AM
1) Elgard, Half Elf Archer (Fighter all about the ranged combat.)
2) D&D 3rd
3) Comp Long Bow
4) Longsword and a torch

My party and I were hired guards on a river barge when a call to arms went out during the night. The boat was overrun with zombies and ghouls but they were all too close to use my bow, so I charge in with my longsword. After a couple of rounds, I roll a 1 in which, I lodge my sword into a zombie, without hurting it, but can't pull it out. Going for the next best thing in my little part of the deck, I grab a torch and practically pwn every single monster.

korhal23
07-25-2009, 11:32 AM
This didn't happen to me, I was the GM but I thought I'd share anyway.
1) I don't remember the character's name anymore, or his department, but I remember he was a Snoop
2) Spycraft 1st Edition
3) Service Pistol
4) Fragmentation Grenade

While sneaking around the enemy base, they came across an armory that had been pointed out by control as a good location to stock up on ammo and heavier weapons than they'd started with. They subdued the guards but failed to notice the silent alarm system on the door. So when a strike team came to stop them, a firefight breaks out in the armory.

During the fight, this particular player ran out of bullets (a combination of having a small capacity pistol and the feat to be able to Burst Fire it despite it being a semi-auto), so he asked if there were more around. Based on his location in the armory, I said no, he was surrounded by explosives, not bullet boxes. So he looks at his character sheet for a second, looks up and goes "What about grenades?" "Sure, there's grenades, but you don't have the hurled weapon proficiency so you will take a penalty to throw it." "Oh, I'm not throwing it."

Now, Spycraft used to have a Hobby skill, though the mechanic has changed in 2nd Ed (for the better, imo). The Snoop had Hobby (Bowling) maxed out.

"I'm going to bowl the grenade." It amused me, so I went with it, saying he'd have to use his Bowling Skill to roll against double the troops normal AC. This meant he had to roll above like a 17 or 18 or else the grenade would deviate.

...Nat 20. 3 dead enemies.

TheRageOfGaia
07-25-2009, 01:59 PM
1.) Hengorot Sings-in-Sorrow (Get of Fenris)
2.) Werewolf: the Apocalypse
3.) Baseball bat
4.) Stop Sign.

Fighting three vampires. The baseball bat broke over the first one's head. Tried to stake the second but failed. So, he ripped a stop sign out of the ground and used both ends. The sign itself as a kind of axe, and the cement chunk end as a club.

Ishcumbeebeeda
07-27-2009, 05:28 PM
A friend of mine who was in a 3.5 campaign that I wasn't a part of wound up running out of gold before he thought to buy a weapon, so he never had a primary weapon. He took quick draw as one of his feats and actually wound up killing more bad guys by quick drawing random stuff than the other PCs could with their weapons. The story I keep hearing is that all three of the other PC's had missed this one guy with their swords and arrows and such, and my friend quick drew a tea cup, threw it at the bad guy, and managed to triple crit him. Killed. One shot. Tea cup. AWESOMENESS!

emblasochist
07-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Drognan Human Level 5 Kensai / 5 Monk
3rd Edition D&D
Fists. They were severed by an orc's axe who just hit my AC and rolled low damage. Only after that did the DM realize I had no weapon, so he allowed me to treat my head as my weapon and considered it my specialty for that combat. He even increased my damage dice from my fists to appologize. From then on, my head became my primary weapon, but I did make a point to regrow my hands...

The Feather Prince
10-30-2009, 01:39 AM
3.5 D&D.
4th level Barbarian/Fighter named Salem.

He was an unarmed fighter, and we were trucking around in a duregar infested dungeon. We had just finished mapping out a bunch of spike traps that surrounded the pedastal with an object we wanted, when somehow we tripped an alarm and a bunch of duregar came rushing in. Salem got creative and began pro-wrestler suplexing duregar onto the traps, and 'spiking' them like footballs. No sooner would they touch the tile than they were impaled by a huge spike through their chest and held off the ground screaming and gurgling.

All the duregar ran away after he did it for the third time. I think it was supposed to be an encounter where we were going to get captured but the DM decided that it was too intimidating to have a 6'8" pro-wrestler body slamming their friends onto spike traps with fatal results every 6 seconds.

DMMike
10-31-2009, 12:34 PM
So everyone, please share with us
1) Your character, and class
2) Which rpg, and edition, if applicable
3) Your primary weapon that you lost
4) Your alternate, secondary weapon/s

"...split right in half, it did! Klaus, who was shieldin' me, says I was trying to chop the 'man's head off. With a spear!? Well yes, I'm sure that's why it broke. So anyway, our man-at-arms was still waitin' to get the gold to replace our last round of broken battle axes. So what do I reach for, there in the thick of battle, with Klaus and me mates warrin' all around me? A hammer. A hammer! I know! So's I could finish the bashin' job I started me spear! Well, I've got this - and this," motions to bodily scars, "to show for it. But I'm tossin' one back with you now, eh?"

1) Egbi, dwarf warrior
2) D&D 3.5
3) Longspear
4) Battle axe (light hammer)

templeorder
11-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Thug Life man... sure a knife's mean man, and you can conceal it, and its real personal man.... but sometimes you lose it, sometimes you gotta grab or go down, and the knife gets dropped... but not with "super sap"! I saw this guy wrap a pool ball in a towel and eff-up all these dudes. So now, i gots me a little nest, tied to my wrist, with a nice round chunk of marble in it man... what the s**t hits the fan, its up my sleeve and i just fill it with whats near - unless i got my pretty white marble on me - load that bad boy up and last man standing is the name of the game.

[Yea, i saw it in a Steven Segal film... so what!? Its pretty handy for a thug!]

wbrandel
11-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Micheal the Red Fighter
DnD 1e
Bastard Sword got hung up in a dragon's ribcage due to a crit
picked up a scepter and finished beating the dragon to death, after that purchased short sword a a back up

BreK thief
DnD 1e
used a short sword until it got taken away by the city guard then he used a rope with a 1 pound stone tied to the end.

bigironvault
11-07-2009, 08:15 PM
1) Alister, Bard
2) D&D 3ed
3) Dropped my rapier and I forgot to pick it back up
4) A log of cheese - which I seemed to roll an incredible amount of critical hits with. The DM ruled that it could do 1d4 subdual damage, of course when you crit it can actually knock out orcs!

agoraderek
11-09-2009, 03:21 PM
1) Cadogan, human rogue/fighter
2) D&D, bastardized 1e/3x/PfRPG mashup
3) Masterwork rapier
4) +1 dagger

Rapier was sundered, and we were involved in a scenario that had little in the way of weapon wielding opponents. The dagger worked out for the best, however, as some of our foes had dr/magic...

templeorder
11-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Well, since i started a new character, i thought i would respond anew to this. This character has thus far seen 2 nights of adventuring, so do not be surprised.

Name: Geraldine (first time i've crossed genders in a dozen years too)
Archetype: Magus
System: Incarna (2.0)
Primary Weapon: Court bow (light, low damage, low muscle needed)
Secondary Weapon: dagger (trying to gain familiarity)

In combat, shes more of a liability - as in has trouble hitting anything. God forbid that she EVER has to get in HTH combat. She'd just be a punching bag right now. I did have a rogue once who packed heavy weapons in order to look impressive and avoid fights (could not use the weapons). In this case, my mage is scrawny and weak so there's no fooling anyone.

How about it - any interesting NON FIGHTER characters out there?

Ishcumbeebeeda
11-15-2009, 05:13 PM
. How about it - any interesting NON FIGHTER characters out there?

Well, it wasn't my character, and I don't know the character's name, but a friend of mine from high school used to carry around (in D&D 3.5) an insane, paralized, spellcasting squirl. The IPSS was invented when our other friend asked the DM one too many times "and what happens next?" ("What happens next? You know what happens next? The spell backfires at the same time that the two enemy spellcasters finish their spells and the resulting conflageration of magical potential overloads you and you go insane! Then the other spells take effect and you transform into a squirl and are paralized! That's what happens next!" One of the other party members liked that so much he cast permanancy on the poor little squirl just to see what would happen.... it turned out pretty cool, kind of like a Wonderous Rod or Rod of Wonder or whateveritwascalled... only the random spells were right off of this guy's character sheet :D)

DMMike
11-15-2009, 10:56 PM
How about it - any interesting NON FIGHTER characters out there?

Not very likely; other classes are less likely to need more than one weapon. In fact, a non-fighter's weapon is likely to be his sole weapon. They have cool things like spells, animals, and musical instruments to play the role of primary weapon.

A warrior though, should have a primary weapon, secondary weapon, ranged weapon, and even a secret weapon if possible.

Eryiedes
11-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Sabre, Gladiator Template
GURPS Fantasy
Primary Weapon: Usually wields whatever weapon his last downed foe utilized (made a habit of killing people with their own favorite weapons)

Secondary: Bullwhip!

Part flail...
Part garrote...
Part truncheon...
(and in my characters case....)
Small daggar hidden in the handle.

Peace & Light

tesral
11-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Raphael half Centaur Warlock
D&D 3.5
Primary Weapon -- eldrich blast.
Secondary Weapon -- Light war hammer +1.

He has never used the thing as a weapon. Pounded tent stakes, knocked on giant doors. smashed the head of an undead that was already re-deaded, but never hit a live opponent. Why do 1d4+2 when you can dish 6d6, from over there?