PDA

View Full Version : P&pg bazaar?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Can we have a P&PG Gamers Bazaar? I have rpg items in great condition that i am wanting to either sell at an incredible price and/or trade for some Traveller RPG material, preferrable Mongoose Traveller.

Before i started a thread on this, i thought it a great idea to have a permanent P&PG thread for the rest of us. Personally, i have PLENTY of rpg material, and many hard-to-get items, i am looking to sell or trade, as i am sure many of the other 7500 members on this site do, and would love the P&PG members to have first chance to obtain rpg items before going to Ebay. Call it P&PG loyalty. Family comes first, after all.

For example: I have Serenity Core Rulebook and the Serenity module Out in the Black (i have duplicate copies... don't ask), both in near perfect condition (never used), that i would love to trade for some Traveller, preferably Mongoose material. Otherwise, first fair bid gets. I'm not looking to make a profit here, i just want everyone to win.

What say the rest of you concerning an official P&PG Gamers Bazaar thread with a nice blue d20 to the left of it? Otherwise, I'll just start my own thread with the same name.

Thoth-Amon

GoddessGood
04-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Such an idea had been brought up a while back here (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8955), and was generally decided against P&PG having any involvement in selling and trading. Even if other 3rd parties are used (paypal, ebay, etc.), the potential for hurt feelings and "trade disputes" is an unfortunate, but possible, side effect.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-30-2009, 10:02 AM
It's worked on other gaming sites, rpgs specific, as i have used them extensively for buy, sell, or trade, to great effectiveness, so i don't see why it wouldn't work here. The trick is to limit it to gaming items. It's just a link for everyone rather than individuals putting up their own threads looking to trade is a better idea. If there is a transaction of funds, then that would be off-P&PG and dealt with between the two individuals doing the deal.

For example: i have something to trade of sell with you. You contact me through PM or email, we work out deal off P&PG, and the transaction gets completed. What i am asking for here is just a poster board for all to see. It's no different than going into your local hobby store, looking at the poster board, and calling the number of the individual you wish to contact.

I believe this should be revisited. So, what share the rest of you?

Also, please take note of my original thread. I'm still looking to deal. Any takers, please PM or email me.

cplmac
04-30-2009, 10:57 AM
It's worked on other gaming sites, rpgs specific, as i have used them extensively for buy, sell, or trade, to great effectiveness, so i don't see why it wouldn't work here. The trick is to limit it to gaming items. It's just a link for everyone rather than individuals putting up their own threads looking to trade is a better idea. If there is a transaction of funds, then that would be off-P&PG and dealt with between the two individuals doing the deal.

For example: i have something to trade of sell with you. You contact me through PM or email, we work out deal off P&PG, and the transaction gets completed. What i am asking for here is just a poster board for all to see. It's no different than going into your local hobby store, looking at the poster board, and calling the number of the individual you wish to contact.

Also, please take note of my original thread. I'm still looking to deal. Any takers, please PM or email me.

Now this way would look promising. Just as long as everyone is aware that we would not accept negative posts about transactions or members.

Rook
05-26-2009, 12:35 PM
I'd be very interested in buying, selling and trading on an RPG specific site with other gamers.

Now this way would look promising. Just as long as everyone is aware that we would not accept negative posts about transactions or members.

cpljarhead
05-26-2009, 01:08 PM
i think this idea could prove interesting, especially for those looking for older rpg's and hard to find items

templeorder
05-26-2009, 01:21 PM
While i don't see anything wrong with the idea, i definitely would not participate. I have a stack of RPG stuff for ebay scenarios... but i personally want to just keep my interaction here about the gaming experience, settings, advice, etc.

Any sort of sales or trade posts should definitely not count as site experience in the same way either...

GoddessGood
05-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Perhaps the best way to handle this would be to start up a user (social) group specifically for it. Members would post their available merchandise and prospective buyers would PM with offers/requests for details/etc. Financial transaction would be handled offsite by a 3rd party (such as paypal) whose link could be solicited via PM or posted in the OP. Such a group would probably need at least one moderator beyond the owner of the group.

cplmac
05-26-2009, 03:28 PM
While i don't see anything wrong with the idea, i definitely would not participate. I have a stack of RPG stuff for ebay scenarios... but i personally want to just keep my interaction here about the gaming experience, settings, advice, etc.

Any sort of sales or trade posts should definitely not count as site experience in the same way either...

Perhaps the best way to handle this would be to start up a user (social) group specifically for it. Members would post their available merchandise and prospective buyers would PM with offers/requests for details/etc. Financial transaction would be handled offsite by a 3rd party (such as paypal) whose link could be solicited via PM or posted in the OP. Such a group would probably need at least one moderator beyond the owner of the group.

I agree with the concept of this not adding to site experience. We would have to find out from Farcaster if there would be a way to make a social group for it, or maybe just a totally separate "Flea Market" section, like the Campaing Invitations, Suggestion Box, etc. That is provided there is a way that Farcaster can set something like this up, and more importantly, would have the time to set something like this up.

GoddessGood
05-26-2009, 04:09 PM
I figure the social group would be a good idea because only those who want to sell/trade things need to be members. That way the mod/FC/whoever can vet the sellers ahead of time to make sure it's legit (if that's desirable).

mrken
05-26-2009, 05:58 PM
On another site we trade miniatures. It is on the honor system, but there are a few safeguards in place.

The first one is those who have fewer than five trades must ship first and be received prior to the second person having to ship. In the beginning I had to ship first, now days I ship right away unless the other person has not traded within the forum enough. I did run into a problem once trading with a Canadian. The piece got stuck in Customs we think, he had to ship something else. Bummed me out that I did not get the pieces I really wanted, but I did get something else I wanted.

One thing you can do that I do every time I ship within the U.S. is use delivery confirmation. Kind of not worth the cost to insure most of the stuff I ship but for .60 Delivery confirmation is nice as you can see the package has been shipped and the route it is taking and when it was delivered. Helps to have impartial evidence.

Second thing is the reputation one might have. I only have 900 posts there but I am a moderator there, some people have several thousand posts. In all the trades over there, only three have fallen into the shunning hole. They have disappeared from the forum and all of them have been active members there until the dispute. Don't know what happened to them but they are gone. When I first asked about this no one wanted to talk about it. When I became a moderator I learned the mods can see the IP address among other things and they look to see that the trouble makers do not come back. Now I know some people don't care how many posts they have or the reputation they have, but some do. To some it is a big deal that they have been here for a long time and they have thousands of posts. That is the only real deterrent there is. Unless there are other members who live nearby and are willing to go knocking on doors for us. lol Hey, my cousin Vinnie lives close to him. Want him to go see if the @#$% wants to go fishin'?

Would really like to see this trading and selling of RPG stuff work, but there is always some @#$% who has no self respect and wants to get over, and then ruins it for everyone.

nijineko
06-02-2009, 04:17 PM
i suppose that if there was a disclaimer about responsibility (as in pnpg has none and cannot be dragged in legally) and some guidelines, it could be doable. though i'm thinking that the social group might be the way to handle it.