PDA

View Full Version : Traveller RPG: Which is your favorite edition, and why?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-25-2009, 07:23 PM
It's no secret that i love Traveller RPG and so i thought it would be interesting to start a thread for folks to share with me, and everyone else for that matter, which edition is their favorite, and why?

Me first: I love Classic Traveller(CT) & Mongoose Traveller(MT), which is similar. If i had to choose an edition, I'd side with CT, but i will be the first to admit that i started with 1st edition, CT, so my preference may just be sentimental.

Please note: Poll is set for multiple answers, so pick all that apply. Also, your votes are set to private so no one will know your vote. :cool:

This is my first initiated poll. I hope you all enjoy.

What say you?

Thoth-Amon

Lucian-Sunaka
04-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Wish I could vouch for any others, but I've only read/played Mongoose. On that note, I completely love the game. Sadly my traveller game recently fell through, though I'm hoping we can rebuild it.

Freejack
04-25-2009, 08:40 PM
I played and own several books from Original Traveller. Plus a friend who got out of the game gave me a bunch of his stuff so I have additional gear. I played a few times and found it interesting.

Interesting enough to get probably half of Megatraveller. I liked it because it seemed more organized. I enjoyed reading it and getting ready to play a game. But I couldn't get any players together.

I'm again interested and have picked up the Mongoose books to see if I'm interested enough to try and run a few games.

I must say that the books are a bit on the expensive side all things considered.

Carl

MortonStromgal
04-25-2009, 11:14 PM
New Era, it was the first RPG I really got into. I like the basic premise of a roman era type universe after a collapse. It Dark Ages space :D

I didn't care for the rules that much but I really loved character creation and 90% of the setting

amardolem
04-26-2009, 10:44 AM
I only own CT and the last time I played it was well over 20 years ago...it was the kind of game everyone had to be into to get it going right..back then you could rope a few non gamers into D&D by sheer curiosity or because they were friends...but with Traveller it was difficult. So I created a lot of Space rogues, hard edged ex Marines, and intellectual ship captains, but rarely played any of them...heck I should pull that game out

fmitchell
04-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Honestly, I've only played Classic Traveller back in the day, and I remember liking it.

I picked up Mongoose's version, and it's very similar to Classic Traveller. In some ways it could benefit from modern design (e.g. instead of dogpiling DMs, change the target number from 8 to reflect intrinsic difficulty), but on the whole I like its minimalist rules, a character sheet that fits easily on an index card, and a move away from XP and "leveling up".

Snuffy
05-04-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm glad I came across this thread.

I was at Barnes & Noble Sunday and saw Traveler by Mongoose on the shelves. I was thinking about checking it out and from this thread I think I will.

Dragon2605
05-15-2009, 03:27 PM
I've never played any of the games listed. :confused: I'm always up to the challenge of learning something new. It would be nice if the game was simple straight-forward and doesn't have a lot of confusing rules. Does anyone have any recommendations? :)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-15-2009, 03:41 PM
I've never played any of the games listed. :confused: I'm always up to the challenge of learning something new. It would be nice if the game was simple straight-forward and doesn't have a lot of confusing rules. Does anyone have any recommendations? :)
Recommendations for which Traveller editions? CT is awesome, but Mongoose has been putting out their version of CT, as of late. You only really need the Core book for that one, and over time as your addiction settles in, you can always purchase some of the accessory books.

Traveller, is a combination of Star Wars, Surrenity, Alien/s, Wing Commander, Event Horizon, and others. Point is: It's flexible enough to fit into any future you have a preference for, which is why the game is still so popular even after 30 years.

Heck, i even had a friend that injected horror(undead) and bugs(starship troopers) into his Traveller games, respectively, for in space, no one can hear you scream.

The only limitation is your imagination.

darelf
05-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Well, MegaTraveller .. FTW.

But for what you can buy off the shelf? I think GURPS was made for Traveller.

Of course, I'm kind of a fan of GURPS so that's prolly biased... :)

Dragon2605
05-15-2009, 09:08 PM
I didn't realize there are so many different Traveller editions. Is there any major differences between the different editions? I guess I'm looking for the Pros and Cons of the different editions. :noidea:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-15-2009, 10:12 PM
I didn't realize there are so many different Traveller editions. Is there any major differences between the different editions? I guess I'm looking for the Pros and Cons of the different editions. :noidea:
I don't know if there really are any pros and cons in Traveller. From everyone i have spoken to, it's just a matter of preference. Whereas darelf says he's biased towards GURPS Traveller, i am biased towards CT and MT, so again, it's really about preference.

I will say this, there are plenty, i mean plenty of old Traveller modules being sold on Ebay. You should check it out sometime.

Even though i have played most of the versions, i have never played the GURPS version-wanted too, just never have. So, let me make a call out to darelf, for perhaps he will enlighten us on his experiences with said system. I, for one, would love to hear more.

Let me leave you and others on this thread with this cool Traveller map: http://www.travellermap.com/

fmitchell
05-16-2009, 12:16 AM
I like GURPS too, but it's hard to get new players interested, since character generation can get insanely complicated. I like Mongoose Traveller for its simpler system, although if I ran a game I'd use my own background: far fewer aliens, no psionics, systems with multiple inhabited worlds, more transhumanism, and a machine race separate from run-of-the-mill robots.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-16-2009, 12:33 AM
I ran a Traveller game, originating from Gamma World. Sometimes i like to get creative/shake things up. Here's what i put in the email. Thought you all would find it interesting for i find other GM methods equally interesting. Plus it shows the flexibility that is the game Traveller.

Players
You have 7+ race choices to choose from:

Pure Strain Human: Descendants of man who have avoided mutation and in fact are resistant to mutation.
Human/or one of the other 6 known races of the Imperium: derelict species not from the planet, no real resistance to the planets radiation and mutogenic properties.
Humanoids: Intelligent mutated humans or creatures that have assumed humanoid forms and have manipulative paws to use tools. They vary greatly due to mutation.
Mutated Animals: Intelligent mutated animals who have learned some means of communication.
Mutated Plants: Intelligent mutated plants who have gained mobility and reaction rates similar to humans.
Mutated Insectoid: Intelligent mutated insectoid who have learned some way of communication.
Artificial Life Form: Robotic, Android, programmed with a specific purpose in mind by its creators(capable of learning new things/skills, etc).

Even though sky's the limit with differing racial characteristics, the dominant of the original species will have separated from the herd, so to speak. Therefore, there are dominant racial groups withing the insectoids(think Sleestack), apemen(planet of the apes), etc. Each race seeing itself as dominant, and weak ties to the other races may exist... from time to time... and who knows what else the scientists were tinkering with before the war.

Each race has its own inherent benefits and weaknesses. As far as classes go, there really arent any. You just pick up the skills you desire that leads your character into his chosen profession. You want to be a skilled pilot, pick up the necessary skills, et all.

We will be running your characters with the Gamma World rules, then when you get off-world, we will adjust to Traveller CT. The transition will be very easy.

Most likely, in the very beginning of your adventuring, you will be a survivalist of sorts, trying to make your way in life. If you choose a Pure Strain Human, you may have escaped, whatever... figure it out later, from an underground high tech complex, not unlike the movie Logans Run. You can be a crashed pirate from another world, trying to escape off-world, and or any of the other races. I'd like you to play 2 characters, more if you are up for it.

No pregens, unless it is an NPC. We will likely be using them from time to time.

Let me know if there is an interest in playing an android/robotic type character.

Also, feel free to throw any wild ideas at me as far as race, background, etc. I'm cool with the unusual... not unlike, for example, a crashed pilot with amnesia...time traveler, perhaps, not unlike Planet of the Apes, or Sphere. In this event, he will be a basic human, not unlike Traveller CT humans, or one of the 6 known races of the Imperium. I'm not against an unknown race if you have envisioned something special, with his/its own inherent strengths and weaknesses. Again, i really want you to get into the shoes of your chosen characters. If you're into the unusual, i am okay with a race that is capable of creating its own offspring, not unlike the movie, Enemy Mine.

The planet is considered Earth, or Tor?, in Traveller CT, but its not written in stone. I need to read up to make sure my facts are straight. Been years since i ran these in this area of the verse. Going to be fun.

I have at least 11 Gamma World modules, most of them we will play, until your characters get off-world, if they live long enough to see the day. Play smart and most likely live, play dumb and die.

I have access to at least 20 CT campaigns, so you have plenty of adventuring to deal with. No worries though, they will be geared towards your players' respective classes.

I figure we can get through at least one module a month, most likely two.

Questions?

Brent

purestrainhuman
05-16-2009, 02:20 PM
If only you weren't 1450 miles away =p

nijineko
05-16-2009, 04:03 PM
i put gurps and d20 versions, as i'm most familiar with the system. i'd be interested in any online based game. ^^ though i really need to find a job first.

mjungledog
05-16-2009, 11:17 PM
I have played Classic and T20. I prefer the T20 version, though I will be getting the Mongoose version as soon as I can.

darelf
05-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Since I have apparently been "called out"... :)

I like GURPS for this kind of game. That is hard. Hard sci-fi, gritty fantasy, etc. Anytime you want the feel of the game to lean towards the side of verisimilitude..

I see Traveller very much in that light. I first played it as MegaTraveller though, and I still have a soft spot for the random chargen, and the completely wacky mechanics.

Anyway, I suppose if you were a HERO fan, then that would do just as well.

As for "getting into GURPS", well, there's not much to say there. Some people enjoy spending two hours of chargen in their point-fiddling and some do not. A good idea for those people is, ask them for a quick summary of the character they want, and knock it out for them... don't make them do something they hate to do.

That last part is really a rule for any gaming...

Razmus
05-29-2009, 03:53 PM
I appreciate CT for the vast wealth of material to mine, but never liked the character generation or development.

I like some aspects of MegaTraveller background, and like the dynamic nature of the campaign. (Wasn't as fond of the coverage in the few TNE books I have.)

I abandoned D20 when D&D went to third edition, which has kept me away from D20 Traveller thus far. The concept of character classes has lost it's appeal for me. My preference isn't so strong that it would prevent me from picking it up if I local game were to materialize however.

Overall though, I'm now quite fond of GURPS Traveller. I can take all the background material I want from other flavors and bring them in, and have the access to a wealth of other 'flavor material' at my fingertips. For that reason, I'd have to mark it my favorite flavor. (But again, like ice cream -- I can have a favorite, but still enjoy them all, right? :laugh:)

tesral
12-13-2010, 02:05 AM
As I don't actually play the game and mine it mercilessly for fluff edition matters little. I usually go for GURPS books as they are easy to find and for me at least easy to understand.

So I would have to say the GURPS edition, but not for any love of the system.

Mr_Sandman
08-20-2011, 07:38 AM
I answered Traveller 2300, even though it really isn't Traveller in any way, shape or form, and the publisher acknowledged that by changing the name to 2300 AD. I really got into the setting, and thought the aliens were some of the best ever designed. My only gripe about the setting was the fixed-distance limit on the stutterwarp drives. Although I understand why it was necessary to the setting, it felt arbitrary, and strained my suspension of disbelief.

The original Traveller is the only other edition I've played. I probably still have many of the little black books in my basement, if one of my high school friends didn't end up with them instead. But if I was going to put together a Traveller game today, I'd probably use GURPS, because that's been my "go to" system for the past 15 plus years.

jwpacker
01-15-2012, 03:44 PM
I picked Mongoose, but only because I feel like they addressed many of my issues with Classic. You can still use all of your Classic supplements and Library Data and all that with the new game with very few modifications, and that makes me happy as well.

That said, they don't get everything right. Space Combat is still a total mess, and for anything short of single ship versus single ship, I'd likely graft on a different system entirely, like Starmada, to get the results.

The extra bonus for Mongoose is that they're still cranking out material fast and furious for the setting, and it seems like every month in their free Signs and Portents magazine online, they're brining another old CT module up to Mongoose Traveller speed.

Aruku
03-25-2013, 04:16 AM
I played classic, and Megatraveller and loved them both. I STILL after all these years almost do a Trillion Credit squadron in my mind AND remember most of the ship hexadecimal info lines.... Sad is it not?

dmccoy1693
08-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Mongoose Traveller, But I am biased. I've written a few things for it. (http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=4655_4945)

Etarnon
08-28-2013, 03:33 AM
Classic is easy, if sparse in the core rules, I'd get The Traveller Book if you are gonna go there. You can game for years with just the core if you make up your own stuff. If not, you can get all the books and supplements and adventures. Stiull relatively cheap if you look, take your time, and are choosy.

2300 was a different animal postulating a nuclear exchange, france wins, and nations explore space in different directions. Gritty sort of flavor. Tries to make starships more like 2001, than say Star Wars. A li8ttle bit hard to find, some of the supplements are obscure / rare.

Megatraveller had problems, but was okay, the first real rules for advancing skills. Both in game and out. But there were a lot of books put out in that period. Grand Survey, Grand Census in particular by Digest Group.

GURPs Traveller, never played.

T20 had, but didn't like, never played.

Hero, never saw, hardly ever hear about.

Mongoose is Classic done better. What I've run here in the past, and also offline.

T5 is the new flavor, still digesting it. More a toolkit, and super crunchy formula goodness, for those that want to go there.

If you want the feel of old school, really go mongoose. The lifepaths that Classic lacked make it sooo much better and what I think Marc intended but didn't capture when RPGs were new in 1977.

T5 just hit the street a few months ago, and I don't see it as all that established yet from the kickstarter.

Good luck with it.

Mr_Sandman
08-29-2013, 01:09 AM
2300 was a different animal postulating a nuclear exchange, france wins, and nations explore space in different directions. Gritty sort of flavor. Tries to make starships more like 2001, than say Star Wars. A li8ttle bit hard to find, some of the supplements are obscure / rare.

2300 really had nothing to do with Traveller at all, except that it had spaceships and was put out by GDW. It grew out of the Twilight 2000 setting, rather than Traveller. But that said, it is pretty much my favorite science fiction gaming setting. I'd say the tech level and feel of the setting is closer to the Alien movies than to 2001. There is FTL, but you can still easily see a character in 2300 running around in a dirty tee-shirt, sweating, with a finger on the trigger of a slug-thrower.

Even though it hasn't been published for years, it isn't hard to find. You can buy a CDROM with pretty much everything that was ever published for the original Traveller 2300 and 2300 AD, including both versions of the core books, all the supplements (including one published by a 3rd party), Star Cruiser - the spaceship combat war-game in the 2300 setting, all the 2300 articles from Challenge Magazine, and even a couple of unpublished adventures. http://www.farfuture.net/FFE-CDROMs.html

BTW, if we are counting 2300 with Traveller, there was also a short-lived T20 2320 AD in the same setting, and now Mongoose is putting out a version of 2300 AD