PDA

View Full Version : At this very moment of reading this: where are you at and what are you doing?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16]

bornap
12-19-2010, 07:29 AM
I'm gasping as I read what Valve had done in latest TF2 update.
So much new weapons!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Fed the dog. Going to Ihop in a few.

tesral
12-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Siting reading my mail. I will do some work on my characters after that.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Grub, then errands. Enjoy the rain.

Hoitash
12-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Just came back from Happy Hour at the Tower Inn, and what e-mail is waiting for me? I was awarded an undergraduate fellowship. Its a cash award, too, which is great, because my honors thesis is going to require a lot of travel to get the material I need.

tesral
12-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Talking to a Fox and smelling fresh bread.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Enjoying the rain.

tesral
12-21-2010, 02:34 AM
Too cold to rain. Snow is a four letter word.

Hoitash
12-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Only if you're old..er. Older. Though a sledding accident makes my left knee react to the cold weather, so I see where you guys come from.

Doing some morning computer stuff before breakfast.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Still raining hard and loving it. Just wish it were 10 degrees colder then we'd have a wicked-cool snow storm of the century.

tesral
12-21-2010, 10:29 AM
So you hate the rest of Southern California? They would curl up and DIE at the sight of a flake of snow.

Then again, that might be fun.

Hoitash
12-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Depends where M5 and M7 are.

cookie for the reference.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Don't hate California, but you're right, most would curl up and die at the sight of snowflakes. Heck, drivers behave like they've never seen rain before.

Hoitash
12-21-2010, 11:46 AM
That sounds... unsafe.

Hilariously so.

Knew keeping my career in the Midwest was a good idea. At least it will be when I actually have a career.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Watching some guy that calls himself The Dice Tower on youtube. He counts down the top best (in his opinion) 100 board games. Good stuff.

tesral
12-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Don't hate California, but you're right, most would curl up and die at the sight of snowflakes. Heck, drivers behave like they've never seen rain before.

Drivers' brains are liquid soluble.

Hoitash
12-21-2010, 01:41 PM
He means Californian driver's brains. Or if he doesn't, I do :)

Here they're just brainless.

tesral
12-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Who become more brainless in the snow. Lordy lord yesterday their were shaking the trees HARD. I wanted to get home and hide under the bed.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-22-2010, 07:34 AM
Heavy rains and wind. I'm loving it. On a negative note, my jeep engine light went on. Sucks! I'm hoping it has something to do with it being parked out in heavy rains. One can hope.

tesral
12-22-2010, 11:35 AM
That is often the case. Real wet conditions can adversely affect engines. From your indications it's been raining for days. Cool damp conditions around here make mine come on all the time, Running it for a while should dry things out.

My problem with the "Check engine light" is it is too general, it could be about to blow up, or a little too wet.

wildknives
12-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Saying Good Mornin at 9:30 am in North Central Florida warming up from a nippy 40*. Coffie and emails before I start on the pile of Christmas presents that need to be wrapped. Tis the season lol.. Happy Holidays.

Sascha
12-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Fighting off a head cold that wants to annex the rest of me. Wondering where our snow went.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Just watched season 1 of Party Down. Good stuff.

tesral
12-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Petting a kitty girl.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-23-2010, 01:08 PM
About to make a run to Sam's Club.

tesral
12-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Music and web page updates. (http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/fantasy/gs_fant.htm#fiction)

Hoitash
12-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Wondering what to have for dinner. I don't want to go out again, but I really want a pizza...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Can't go wrong with pizza, no question there.

tesral
12-23-2010, 05:00 PM
If only there was some service that brought a Pizza to you.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Pizza does sound good right about now.

Just finished Message in a Bottle. Good flick. About to suck down some minicinnanom rolls from Sams Club. Damn, they're addicting.

Wondering if I will make the xmas parties for tomorrow and Saturday, one of two, or neither of them. Only time will tell.

Hoitash
12-24-2010, 09:12 AM
If only there was some service that brought a Pizza to you.

Well a Little Caesar's Hot and Ready is 5 bucks. A delivered pizza is around 12. So... Besides I was also looking for a UPS box, which I could not find, but at least I got the pizza.

Right now I'm waiting for my Coco Wheats to cool down. Then I'll watch my copy of Jingle All the Way.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Okay, ditched todays party. Still may go to tomorrows. Currently wondering why no one is wishing the Mighty Immortal Arch Lich Happy Holidays. Yes, I recognize that I am pure evil, but let me remind you all that not wishing me Happy Holidays is evil, too! Walk the walk all you goodies with the northern ranging alignments.

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/18151-Santa-Tracker-Norad-Tracks-Santa.-Fun-link-for-the-younglings.

Mighty Thoth has left his mental signature.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-25-2010, 06:48 AM
Going through emails at the moment. Watched The Magnificent Seven a few hours back. Good stuff.

tesral
12-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Back from the In-laws. Planning to sped the rest of the evening quietly with my favorite female.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Just got home from friends. Catching up on emails.

Hoitash
12-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Morning computer stuff. Worried about when my graduate school letter will get here. I'm going out for lunch later and then I can use my Christmas Gamestop gift card to get Call of Duty Black Ops.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-26-2010, 08:52 AM
Going through emails. Planning out the day.

tesral
12-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Examining how this old house is put together.

Sascha
12-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Isn't it usually just Bob Vila, a hammer, and a camera crew?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Gotta chainsaw some branches in a bit. Trying to win a home charger at the moment.

tesral
12-26-2010, 02:11 PM
I wish. They never do "real" houses any more.

Death Rattle
12-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Shivering, leaning over the computer in a dark room with the only light being the backlight from my laptop with a blanket wrapped around myself for warmth.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Watching my dog attacking her squeek toy in great fun.

Hoitash
12-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Watching pets entertain themselves is always fun to watch.

Playing Eve Online while editing my novel and reading random internet stuff and listening to my insanely eclectic mix of music. And wishing I had a car and a drinking buddy to make my life a little less routine.

Ah well, wishes and flying pigs and all that.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-30-2010, 08:05 PM
You need to get yourself a girlie, Hoitash; they're much more fun. How's the hunt for Phd programs going, BTW?

Here's another idea, go to http://www.meetup.com/ and create/join clubs interesting to you. Nope, it's not a dating site though i realize is sounds like one. I joined about 10 clubs in one day. It's a great way to meet other folks with similar interests.

Hoitash
12-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Hmm...

PhD is on a backburner till I get my Master's. I like to self torture myself by prolonging school because in the immortal words of Patton:

"I love it it. God help me I love it so."

Haven't heard from Masters applications yet. It's been processed according to online records, but because of the break between semesters I'm stuck waiting an extra week or two on top of the standard 2-4 weeks. And of course its by mail, so the only way i know of to be sure of acceptance/rejection is to get the frelling letter.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-30-2010, 09:59 PM
You can always get into one of those combined Masters/PhD programs. Great braggin' rights for the girlies at the pub.

tesral
12-31-2010, 01:19 AM
Hanging around, not doing much. Eating a Clementine.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-31-2010, 08:09 AM
Cleaning up my computer a bit - waaay too many pdf books. A bit pissed at IE at the moment. Whenever my other browsers have an issue - which is rare - at least i can recover the open pages, not so most of the time with IE. Why offer reopen last browsing session option if option isnt given half the time, Microsoft? Opera, Firefox, and Safari never has such problems. Sucks.

Hoitash
12-31-2010, 09:07 AM
True, however as they get used more frequently viruses and trojans are going to be aimed at them more often, so IE could be theoretically safer.

Plus I heard somewhere about a Firefox specific Facebook trojan. I've had enough problems with viruses to last me until we get those cool holo computers from Mass Effect.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-31-2010, 09:38 AM
No argument: I would agree that IE is infinitely safer due to the constant attacks by virus writers. That which does not kill you makes you stronger, and all that.

I avoid Facebook and Myspace, but especially Facebook. Isn't a month that goes by where they aren't in the news for some security flaw or another.

Holocomputers are but a few years away, televisions too, for that matter. I don't expect them to really be sold outright until they get the clarity that would be competitive with our digital tv's of today. Thoths prognostication of said release: 2020.

Another interesting note that may not be surprising: Huh, can't remember the name - it will come to me. Basically, since around the early 1980's our scientists have developed a memory drive that has virtually limitless storage, unlike our hard drives of today. It just isn't cost effective to release said technologies at this time - not when there are profits to be had by inferior products which can be continually upgraded. So for the time being, the aforementioned technology has been shelved, or is it shelfed; let's go with shelved. Hm. Headache is getting the best of me at the moment. Remind me later and I should have recalled the name of the memory technology. Huh, what an awkward sentence. H e a d a c h e. G r r r.

Hah! I just remembered: bubble memory.

tesral
12-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Dvorak Uncensored -- What ever happened to bubble memory (http://www.dvorak.org/blog/whatever-happened-to-bubble-memory/). Actully, bubble memory made it to the market and you can buy it today. It's more expensive, slower, and power hungry. It gets used in applications where rugged is the primary requirement.

Sometimes the great new thing isn't as great as advertised. Flash drives were going to kill the hard drive several years ago. They are still way too expensive per gig than conventional hard drives.

And if you are looking for secure ditch Windows. IE isn't an abbreviation, it's an expletive. Facebook, I never touch the stuff myself. For the reasons you state. Secured as a chicken wire vault.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-31-2010, 12:38 PM
I realize. Note: It was perfected and then shelved for the consumers; although, I won't argue that an inferior version is being sold today; that wouldn't suprise me one bit.

The only real drawback IMHO is that Microsoft IE can be a bit buggy due to all the updates. Seems updates are weekly-regular and one just can't expect perfection with that many updates. If the worlds virus writers targeted the other browsers, os's, and office programs, they would crash instantly.

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

I created another Thread & Poll under the SciFi/Futuristic forum, enjoy: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/18191-Firefly-s-15-Best-Chinese-Curses-(and-How-to-Say-Them).-Enjoy!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-31-2010, 04:50 PM
And another Thread & Poll under the Fantasy forum/sub forum of WFRP, though this thread/poll would apply to all fantasy games: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/18192-Hobbit-Holes-Low-Impact-Woodland-Homes.-Plans-included-for-real-life-and-for-gaming-purposes.?p=153740#post153740. Enjoy!

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

And a third Thread & Poll under the Off-Topic forum entitled: New Years Resolutions for 2011: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/18193-New-Years-Resolutions-for-2011.-List-some-of-yours. Enjoy!

tesral
12-31-2010, 04:55 PM
I realize. Note: It was perfected and then shelved for the consumers; although, I won't argue that an inferior version is being sold today; that wouldn't suprise me one bit.

Why would intel refuse to make money? If Bubble was better than DRAM on the price and performance issues, it would be in our computers now. It is not, there for is not. You can buy bubble memory now. It was superior, it isn't any longer. Bubble went the way of the MFM hard drive. Speed and power issues mean you are not going to see a comeback. It came be found in application where its native ruggedness is an advantage.

The only real drawback IMHO is that Microsoft IE can be a bit buggy due to all the updates. Seems updates are weekly-regular and one just can't expect perfection with that many updates. If the worlds virus writers targeted the other browsers, os's, and office programs, they would crash instantly.

No, The above sentence should have a period after "Buggy". Microsoft security is an oxymoron. The number of backdoors and holes they leave in the system so it can phone home means that anyone with half a wit can do so as well. Unix/Linux is built with multiuser and security as the base of the system. Toally different in the very Kernal. Users, that included me right now do not have permission to add programs to the computer. To add programs I must log in as the root user. This prevents malware right off the bat. Without root access it cannot install behind my back. Any process that asks for root access I didn't start is automatically suspect, and ditched. I cannot add a plugin to Firefox without root access same deal. Linux does not have security by obscurity. Linux/unix servers, which are the majority on the web are under constant attack. There is nothing obscure about them.

Most attempts on Linux are not made with malware. It is just a waste of your time. People that are serious about hacking Linux try and slip malicious code into the Kernel or modules in /dev, or /bin. Once in a great while something gets in, and is quickly trashed by the community.

For windows to be truly secure it would have to forgo the parts that phone back to Microsoft, like "Genuine Advantage" (Not your advantage, theirs). As long as they have a way to break in, the other bad guys do too.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-31-2010, 04:58 PM
Your first response to my original comment is dead-wrong, so I won't explain why you missed the proverbial boat, except to say that you're making assumptions/conclusions w/o having all the facts. Please go reread my original post.

Your second response to my original comment is flawed. Your bias blinds you to the truth of it. Hint: Business 101. Not enough? Hint #2: Lightbulb Rule!

tesral
12-31-2010, 05:30 PM
The answer to your first question is obvious, so I won't explain why you missed the proverbial boat.

Your answer to my second question is flawed. Your bias blinds you to the truth of it.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The proof is on the claimant. Show some evidence that the "good" bubble memory is locked in a vault some place. Conspiracy theory doesn't hold water.

To the latter? I've worked enough with both Windows and Linux to know the differences. I've spent my years trying to Dutch boy the Windows dike with not enough fingers. I've spent years with Linux systems NOT doing all of that. Being that I System Administrate my own network, both Linux and Windows machines (My wife has windows 7, there is an XP box in here and my Son comes in an other with all sorts of Windows stuff.)., I'll take my experience as more telling. I do both. Having side by side comparison, and understanding the systems on more than the user level. I'll point out I didn't start with a dislike of Windows. It took hard work on Microsoft's part to get me that way.

I also have experience with operating systems more obscure, and some of them better still. Many much older still. QNX is an intresting animal I don't have near enough time to play with. Last I checked it was stil lthe only OS cleared for use on life critical functions. Your Heart/Lung machine will run embedded QNX. An OS that is keep your heart beating stable. It makes Linux look flaky. Apple is just locked down OpenBSD. (UnopenBSD?). PETbasic, DOS (several versions) Amiga OS from 1 to 4. Been there played with that.

I have five computers in the room right now hooked up and ready to rock, three different OSs. Five other computers that work, but are not currently set up in the room as well. It would take running a few cables. An uncounted pile of machines in the turning wreches category and questionable functionality.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Regarding paragraph one: Never claimed conspiracy theory; I just made a comment. I know the facts! And NO! *I don't need to prove anything to the likes of you for two reasons: 1) You are no one of consequence., & 2) I have no wish to derail this site because of your insensate need to be right. Get over yourself, tesral. Agree to disagree. This is a gaming site so go take another dose of whatever psychotropic medication you're on so we can get back on topic. I care not whether you believe me or not; obviously, you can't say the same. Note: everyone here doesn't necessarily agree with everyone else all the time, but that gives us no right to initiate flame wars or arguments with other members. Again, agree to disagree. So again, take my comment as just that, a comment, and move on.

Paragraphs 2-4: What a pathetic joke of an attempt to distract and disprove my original statement, which was: If the worlds virus writers targeted the other browsers, os's, and office programs (instead of Microsoft), they would crash instantly (almost immediately). Everything your stating (which adds absolutely nothing to your credibility), and your pathetic attempt at gaining credibility is just sad and shows what an unhappy soul you are.

Personal note: *I have never had any resect for you and your passive-agressive attempts to bait people into arguments or start arguments with others whos opinions aren't in line with yours, which just shows your pathetic need to have everyone on a gaming site believe you know it all, ...which you don't.

Frankly, I'm surprised you haven't been removed from this site for some of the sh$t your have pulled on other members over the years.

Reminders, so repeat the mantra: This is just a gaming site! I'm not right all the time! I don't know everything! I will not initiate flame wars or arguments when others opinions are contrary to my own! My opinion is not the voice of Gawd! My rpg game isn't the best game ever invented; therefore, I will be nice in my responses with others that ask for opinions about their games/game designs! I have nothing to prove! I need to learn to agree to disagree. (rinse-repeat)

Now, :focus:

rabkala
12-31-2010, 08:27 PM
:closed:

At this very moment laughing heartily at the explosive banter above.

Could the answer to this question be anything other than sitting by a computer looking at the PNP boards? Maybe ... Wondering how such a topic could be so horibly off topic in the off topic section. How has this topic even continued past one page if not for a certain self absorbed blowhard trying to up their post count to try and look important.

I am not looking for an arguement. This whole thread should be deleted and all posts there in discredited.

:closed::rip::bolt:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-31-2010, 08:31 PM
No worries, rabkala. It intertains me, too. One thing I will admit about myself (which should be evident), is that even though I will NEVER start arguments or flamewars and can agree to disagree, I will surely counter attacks to my person from ignorant blowhards.

As far as deleting or discrediting this thread, I humbly disagree for it has brought so much fun and site participation to so many. 3800+ posts and counting is respectible, after all.

So I am in agreement with rabkala in that it is definitely time to get... :focus:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Okay, todays the day to begin JaNoWriMo. http://janno.ymakadomain.com/faq.shtml (http://janno.ymakadomain.com/faq.shtml)

I will beginning a science fiction novel based on a game idea I had just recently. The universe is one of my own devising; a universe that would be considered a potential future of our world. With possible rare exceptions, all my Science Fiction books and games will develop and see print based off this possible future.

Created another thread with links/details for other contests, enjoy!

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/18200-JaNoWriMo-Write-a-book-in-January-begins-today.-http-janno.ymakadomain.com-faq.shtml?p=153782#post153782

So, who's with me?

Hoitash
01-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Just don't use my Firefly rip-off universe where aliens attack and hold them off Wing commander style :)

Actually my idea is so cliche if someone else used it, it wouldn't matter :)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Just don't use my Firefly rip-off universe where aliens attack and hold them off Wing commander style :)

Actually my idea is so cliche if someone else used it, it wouldn't matter :)

So, you in? Share with us/me your cliche idea, Hoitash. I'd love to hear it.

Hoitash
01-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Well the basic premise is that World War III happened, but nuclear exchange was largely restricted to India/Pakistan/China, because the rest of the nuclear powers had enough sense to not push the button, so to speak. After the war humanity entered a new age of exploration to escape the carnage of Earth. Using primitive fusion engines-NON FTL at this point- they slowly began terraforming Mars, Pluto, Charon, Tethys, Callisto, and Io, based on the fact that once terraformed they'd either be habitable or profitable-preferably both.

Humanity got too eager and colonized before the worlds were fully terraformed, basically making the planets single biome wastelands ranging from partially habitable-like Mars- to barely habitable-Pluto. Off earth population is obviously low, though a joint Chinese/Indian colonization of Mars produced a decent pop size. This is around 2150. Then an alien race's battleship blasts a spaceport and they invade the system for vaguely religious reasons. After that it gets so cliche i havent bothered to re-edit the first novel.

Oh, and the UN serves as a pseudo-Confederation because there relief efforts helped war torn nations following WWIII.

Besides fantasy parody is less done, so i figure I'd rather be seen as a Pratchett ripoff then a layman trying to write science fiction.

rabkala
01-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Sometimes when building a story, it is better to start with the small details first. Then, you slowly build into those grand over arching story lines.

Look at Avatar,it was derivative and cliche. Almost a complete ripoff of Dances with Wolves, but it worked...

So, you have to ask yourself; Does your Bologna have a first name?

Hoitash
01-01-2011, 10:08 PM
The original world building is what I'm hoping to save my fantasy parody. I'm not sure about the sci-fi, but I'll give it a try eventually.

Of course the very benefit of a parody is you can use the cliche's for humor.

Wow I think too much. Is Mass Effect 3 out yet? Wait, I don't want to think, where's Duke Nuke 'em Forever?

tesral
01-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Expressing desires for your agreeable arbitrary point in the Earth's orbit.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Big Day:

1) Sitting at computer thinking about my scheduled PhD orientation at 5pm. :confused: I would have rather went to a friends house to watch a Star Wars triple feature (1-3) today. Damn it all! :mad:
2) Involved with JaNoWriMo. Currently writing book/s for JaNoWriMo. Haven't made my final decision on whether to write one book of 100,000 words, or two books of differing genres (science fiction & fantasy) with word counts of 50,000 each. Writing two different books sounds more interesting to me. I gave myself till the end of the day to decide. Oh, what to do.
3) Gave my dog another squeek toy. Listening to her go crazy with it. She's like a kid in a candy store high on sugar. LoL
4) On 4th day of being a vegetarian. Gotta love those New Years Resolutions. http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/18193-New-Years-Resolutions-for-2011.-List-some-of-yours (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/18193-New-Years-Resolutions-for-2011.-List-some-of-yours).
5) Planning on adding dozens of gamer/ing-related threads for your (pnpg members and lurkers) enjoyment in the near future. Look for more of Mighty Thoth's threads in the coming weeks.

More information on JaNoWriMo, see link - and I encourage everyone to participate! It's not too late to begin. http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/18200-JaNoWriMo-Write-a-book-in-January-begins-today.-http-janno.ymakadomain.com-faq.shtml (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/18200-JaNoWriMo-Write-a-book-in-January-begins-today.-http-janno.ymakadomain.com-faq.shtml)

tesral
01-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Having a day. Cleaning out the e-mail box, and the basement. Sue should be home any time here.

Hoitash
01-05-2011, 09:50 AM
First day of the semester but my classes don't start till the afternoon today. Poetry of Chuacer...with six registered students. Sometimes I really hate my minor.

Insert Thoth saying how easy it'll be to get a good bookworm girl now that there's less competition here.

tesral
01-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Amusing there is a girl there. Hey, I never went looking for love, but I found it.

Starting yet another day here at the Sanctum. Computers, cats, and crazy in equal conglomerations.

Cogitating an underwater adventure for the gang as prodded by a topic here. There is a ruined aquatic elf village at the bottom of the harbor. It might just start spewing out something unpleasant. Being as this is a steam punk like setting it would put them off their stride too. Guns don't work underwater.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Just found out that they FINALLY made a prequel to John Carpenter's The Thing! How cool is that? http://www.moviefone.com/movie/the-thing/10027040/synopsis & http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0905372/

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2011/01/thumb160x_custom_1294190615912_the_thing_2011__128 62131112458_01.jpg
The Thing (October 14)

A prequel to the John Carpenter classic, showing just what happened to that Norwegian camp.
Outlook: Another prequel, to a film that stands alone perfectly well... but when we visited this film's set, we were impressed with the attention to detail and the fanaticism about paying tribute to Carpenter's film. So fingers crossed.

Here's the first one to jog your memories: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084787/

Yes, I realize the first one is a remake of this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044121/

I'm looking forward to this remake as well:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2011/01/thumb160x_custom_1294203497502_fright-night-tennant-first-1_01.jpg
Fright Night (August 19)

A remake of the 1980s vampire movie with David Tennant, the Tenth Doctor, as Peter Vincent, the stage magician who helps a teenager who discovers his next-door neighbor is a vampire.
Outlook: It's David Tennant in a horror movie. We're not really going to be objective about this.

Hoitash
01-05-2011, 04:31 PM
There making prequels to remakes?!

Head, meet desk-thud.

I liked the black and white version of The Thing. The newer one freaked me out. But I've always preferred the sci-fi of the 50's to the horror of ever.

tesral
01-05-2011, 04:54 PM

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-05-2011, 05:46 PM
There making prequels to remakes?!

Head, meet desk-thud.

I liked the black and white version of The Thing. The newer one freaked me out. But I've always preferred the sci-fi of the 50's to the horror of ever.

Looks like. I'll take anything I can get. I thought both the 50's and the 80's versions were exceptional. My hope now is that if done right, the money made from this prequel will encourage the powers that be to make a part II to the the 80's version of The Thing. One can only hope.

Currently, I'm watching The Rig. Not a bad horror flick as horror flicks go.

Hoitash
01-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Do you ever get the feeling you've wasted your life trying to change that which resists change?

I think I'm going to play Mass Effect. At least there my choices matter.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-07-2011, 10:21 AM
I love chaos, myself. Keeps things interesting.

Hoitash
01-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Yes it does.

Well Mass Effect did the whole "freeze the screen and mouse and prevent the computer from doing anything" thing a couple of times. I'll lower the resolution and hope it helps the next time I play.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-07-2011, 11:31 AM
On a mission today to find and purchase a Black & Decker Alligator Lopper.

tesral
01-07-2011, 11:56 AM
You need to lop off Alligators? I didn't think California had alligators.

My mission today is to live through it. Ghodd, I hate my own body at times.

Hoitash
01-07-2011, 01:52 PM
And now my computer is freezing. I guess I need either a new power supply or to replace a memory stick or two or three. either way, not fun.

tesral
01-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Once a year I need the lousy winbox, and the thing is not working right. Video feed is screwed up. I got it working, once today ,and it promptly stops.

I don't know if it is winders, or hardware. With this old Netvista PoS either is as likely.

tesral
01-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Just finished the game for the night. Good session. And the yearly party as well.

Hoitash
01-11-2011, 08:48 AM
My graphics card is dying, replacing the fan probably won't fix it, and I can't find any retailer that sells single slot pci express 16 graphics cards anymore. Oh boy.

tesral
01-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Canton Computers (http://www.cantoncomputers.com/contact.html) has salvage parts. You can find bits for older machines at dirt cheap prices.

I know you are attending Eastern. Canton is about half way bewtwwen you and me. I also know you have no car. PM me and I'll make a date to take you there.

Sascha
01-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Listening to the latest from CAKE. Plotting the fallout from Saturday's Dresden Files session. (Also remembering what "winter" feels like. It finally hit :P)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Working on my assignment. About to go outside to continue cutting down the lowest branches a tree.

tesral
01-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Snowing. A fine driven snow. It looks like about half and inch down and my wife is driving home from work. She will be late, that is a given. Me, I'll worry until she is here. Her I trust, it's the rest of thew world that's at issue.

Working on my assignment. About to go outside to continue cutting down the lowest branches a tree.

Full of alligators. I assume why you wanted the chopper.

tesral
01-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Hmm, everyone but me seems ot have acquired a life. This place is deader than the morgue on a Saturday night.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Found a deal on 'the gator.'

Considering purchasing two items off of eBay, both expensive. Well, one guy doesn't feel he needs to answer my questions so I guess that eliminates his item, which brings it down to one. Hm, not sure if I want to spend that much on a game. What to do; what to do?

Hoitash
01-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Depends on the game. I bought a copy of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds the game. I kinda missed the gaming of the 90's. So glad resource gathering dies out of strategy games.

Spent 3 hours printing a reel of microfilm. That made me hate microfilm and want a beer. I've had my beer, and I hate microfilm, so I guess it was a good day.

Sascha
01-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Shadowrun game tonight. Dinner: jambalaya with chicken, andouille and shrimp.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Class in 25 minutes. Later today I am running around town to purchase an electric edger and leaf blower.

tesral
01-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Wife has four day weekend. WooT! Time with wife!

I am rebuilding the groddiest computer I have even encountered. It has enough dirt to farm, it's rusty, I don't even know what the software issues are. I have it ripped down to the chassis to clean and paint. Yea, paint. If I don't prime the rusty bottom it is going to get worse. I have never had to take a tooth brush and alcohol to a video card to get the crud off it...until now. I'm shocked the thing worked at all.

Once I have the components clean and the case at least primed I'll deal with the software. I'm transferring the data to my own machine to save it. (IDE/SATA to USB adapters are neat toys.) I am asked to ditch a buggy XP install (Never updated) and make a decent Linux Internet box out of it. 1.8 gig intel with 1 gig RAM it should serve well in that respect. It's the same model computer as my last desktop (Gate, currently severing as an Intranet server). the good thing about that is I have all the manuals for the thing. I can rip it to the chassis and put it back together.

The case is totally dismantled. All the electronic bits are off to one side including the on/off switch and the built in ports. It's bare steel. Pity I don't have a sandblasting rig. Wire brush time. Yes, it's that bad. I'm really regretting having tossed the case of my own said model when I re-cased it. That case would save a lot of work right now.

Scribe of the Realm
01-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Tesral,

Good luck with that rebuild. When I was in camera repair, ammonia followed by isopropyl alcohol (90%+) did a great job of removing corrosion from electronic components and flex boards. It was always an open question as to how much the corrosion had worked its way into the components, so we couldn't offer our usual warrantee on liquid damage.

All that rust and built up crud makes me think there's some acid or salt contamination, too. I hope you're not taking on a lost cause.

tesral
01-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Yea. Too many cats is the problem. Cats that don't restrict themselves to the litter box. Gladly the corrosion is not on the electronic parts, just the case. Steel cleans and paints.

It's a lost cause, I know that. I'll do it anyway. The root cause is much deeper and something I am not in a position to aid.

UGH! That is the first and hopefully LAST time I take a powered wire brush to a computer case, and spend more than an hour doing it. I still have the taste of steel in my mouth. Tomorrow I prime the beast. I'll do the best I can to protect it.

I'm half way through checking the drives for functionality. I have all the data backed up, and likely a good many game and program files that are useless. I don't know what is what, so I'll save it all. Time to test the ancient opticals. Fingers crossed. For some reason new DVD-RW drives have doubled in price. The boards are cleaned and carefully placed aside. Paint then reassembly. We shall know if there is a heartbeat.

wildknives
01-16-2011, 11:22 AM
ok I have a qustion and would like opinions. I want a pdf reader alot like the ipad with the 10" touch screen. 3G isnt important, in fact Wi-Fi can be optional as long as I can download moduals. Is there a less expesnsive model? I just want to be able to have a touch screen tech to make pages bigger or smaller. lotsa memory but bells and whistles are seriously optional.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Making coffee. Planning out the day. Perhaps even play around with my new-used leaf blower and edger.

tesral
01-16-2011, 12:17 PM
ok I have a question and would like opinions. I want a pdf reader a lot like the ipad with the 10" touch screen. 3G isnt important, in fact Wi-Fi can be optional as long as I can download modules. Is there a less expensive model? I just want to be able to have a touch screen tech to make pages bigger or smaller. lotsa memory but bells and whistles are seriously optional.

Well I don't have specific answers. However I've read rumor of several Android Tablets on the market or coming to market soon. Google Fu is a useful art.

Eken M001 (http://www.amazon.com/Eken-M001-Google-Android-Tablet/dp/B003V5AFUG) is under 200, but smaller than you prefer
Zenithink (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041FFJQA/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003V5AFUG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=00WW8F127Q3ZYENT1XP9)is 10" and just over the 200 mark.

I have no specific recommendations or disrecommendation about these models. Do your homework.

wildknives
01-17-2011, 11:01 AM
watching TV with Mom..rainy day..Thanks Tesral always doing my homework lol.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Watching the television. Reading homework later.

tesral
01-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Day three of having my wife at home, happy day. General house work, and dinner out later.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Tired.

Hoitash
01-30-2011, 06:18 PM
I want to meet the genius that made the eye of a needle so blasted small. No matter how old you are when you're threading that needle you feel eighty until you finally get it through.

tesral
01-30-2011, 09:40 PM
For those that can see the needle. Aging eyes is why I stopped painting miniatures.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Cooking up a few Totinos pizzas. Watching Grumpy Old Men.

Hoitash
01-31-2011, 08:28 AM
How fitting considering my recent diatribe.

Morning computer stuff, and placing a request from the school library for a book from storage for my thesis.

My groundbreaking project bringing to light previously unused material has become a chronicle of previously used material.

tesral
01-31-2011, 01:54 PM
The usual, cleaning house and wasting time. The Trek stories on my website are getting a workover.

Sascha
01-31-2011, 04:06 PM
Waiting for my final class of the day. Cursing Father Winter for choosing now, of all times, to assert his authority.

Scribe of the Realm
01-31-2011, 05:57 PM
Just finished dinner. Trying to decide whether to be snowed in at home, or in Ann Arbor where I can keep my appointment with the BMT docs. Home is winning.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-31-2011, 10:49 PM
Had to reprogram my Roku. When entering my password, it says to try again later. While trying to bypass the 'try again later' screen, the Roku site says my password is incorrect. Incorrect? Heck, it works just fine for my Netflix account. Ugh!

tesral
02-01-2011, 01:50 AM
Yea the winter thing looks serious this time and I ain't 20 any more.

Scribe of the Realm
02-02-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm watching the wind build up the snow drifts. Had 17 inches of fluffy, cold weather snow over night. Good day to stay home.

tesral
02-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Looks like we missed the bullet again. Thank Ghodd for micro climates. No more than a couple of inches.

Sascha
02-02-2011, 12:25 PM
No new snow, though it is Hoth cold.

Hoitash
02-04-2011, 02:04 PM
My Coffee club went out of business. Alas, poor Boca Java, I knew him, Horatio. Anyway, I can't decide between Green Mountain and Flavor Bean for a replacement, any ideas? Besides the grocery store, I'm a man of habit.

tesral
02-04-2011, 04:37 PM
I don't advise on coffee places.

Weekend coming, gaming tomorrow.

rabkala
02-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Gas station, one block away, $1.24. Red Rock about 3 blocks away, $2.50. Gloria Jeans about 4 blocks away, $2.50. Starbucks about 6 blocks away, $3.50.Mainlining caffeine, priceless!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Trying to determine the best shipping cost/options/reliability for an item to be shipped to America from Finland. Oh, the choices.

Hoitash
02-04-2011, 10:27 PM
I think I might choose the holiday market near where my Dad lives, actually.

Well classes were cancelled last Wedsneday, so a paper I had due this Monday was pushed up to be due the upcoming Wedsneday. Except my brain did not register that fact when I read the e-mail... But hey, it's practically done, which it had to be anyway.

tesral
02-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Good luck with that. I hate overseas shipping.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Currently watching season II of 3rd Rock from the Sun. Funny stuff.

Hoitash
02-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Holiday Market is in Canton, MI. I can go there when I do my laundry at his place.

Morning computer stuff. Then I need to finish some papers, and keep at my thesis. 1/4 done so far.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Going through my 200+ emails. Probably going to lay back down after.

tesral
02-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Back from breakfast, got coolant for the car, gaming tonight.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Just got back from mailing an important letter. Thinking about going outside to get my newly arrived Netflix movies.

Hoitash
02-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Got my conditional acceptence into grad school. The condition being I graduate from my undergrad.

tesral
02-07-2011, 09:55 PM
:cheer2: Grad u ate! :cheer2: Grad u ate! :cheer2: Grad u ate! :cheer2:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Got my conditional acceptence into grad school. The condition being I graduate from my undergrad.

“Great, kid. Don't get cocky.” -- Han Solo

Congrats to you Hoitash. -Thoth

Hoitash
02-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Well the only real hiccup I forsee is the grade I might get for my Honors Thesis. I need a B- to get honors credit, but I've done well in the prof's classes. The thesis is kind of repetitive, but I have a frakton of primary material, so I'm counting on that to make it suck less.

I think I'm over saturated on beer. I need more hard liqour in my diet methinks.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Just got offered a 1 hour weekend slot as well as on-call extra time to DJ for an AM radio station. I told them that I would do it. Sounds like fun.

I guess you could say that it's good to have friends, for I knew nothing of this opportunity. Apparently, I was recommend by quite a few people. Cool.

tesral
02-08-2011, 07:17 PM
It is getting down right frigid out there, even for well tempered Michigan hides.

Sascha
02-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Caught up on Sandwich Monday (http://www.npr.org/templates/archives/archive.php?thingId=126351221), which is for neither the faint of heart, nor weak of stomach.

tesral
02-09-2011, 01:07 AM
Updating my website.

Hoitash
02-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Yeah its cold. I come back from class and my entire body is shaking like I'm withdrawing from cocaine or something.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Going through emails. Gotta run to Wally World (Wal-Mart) later.

Sascha
02-09-2011, 10:12 AM
First Ethics test today. Whee.

tesral
02-09-2011, 10:39 AM
They make you take tests for that now?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-11-2011, 01:45 AM
This is impressive: http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/the-dog-who-knows-1-000-words-24138973

Sascha
02-11-2011, 05:02 AM
Gotta love Neil Degrasse Tyson~

tesral
02-11-2011, 10:05 AM
This is impressive: http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/the-dog-who-knows-1-000-words-24138973

Yea. I saw that episode of Nova Now the other night. Impressive indeed. In general Border Collies are too smart for your own good, but that one is abusing the issue.

Gotta love Neil Degrasse Tyson~

He has a good on screen presence. If I was going to pick an astronomer to host the update of Cosmos it would be him.

Sascha
02-11-2011, 10:36 AM
He has a good on screen presence. If I was going to pick an astronomer to host the update of Cosmos it would be him.
I enjoy his writing style, too. It's science-tastic without being dry, accessible without lacking substance. Death By Black Hole (and Other Cosmic Quandries) is highly recommended, if you like physics and space (and physics in space).

Hoitash
02-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Honors thesis almost done. fortunately spring break has arrived, so I can study for my upcoming midterms and watch the Star Wars trilogy while playing video games and editing my novel.

Now if only i could find a local game in walking distance from my apartment...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Waiting for it to snow. Man, I gotta move out of this state and soon.

I'm currently reading the Greyhawk Classics, Keep of the Borderland. Pretty good so far.

Hoitash
02-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Want some snow, we got extra.

tesral
02-25-2011, 11:27 PM
He can have ALL of ours.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-25-2011, 11:34 PM
I live in so. Cal. Who wants to house-swap?

tesral
02-26-2011, 01:34 AM
Earthquakes, mudslides, storms, fires....

I'll keep the snow.

Hoitash
02-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Ditto.

Scribe of the Realm
03-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Daydreaming. Watching a group of chickadees at the feeder.

tesral
03-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Chickadees are fun.

I'm doing LAUNDRY!!!

Sascha
03-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Waiting for class, listening to NPR podcasts. Weather reminds me of Seattle, only bitter-cold.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Watching Roseanne instead of doing homework. I blame it on burnout. Ah, 4 years left - full-time - and I am done. Times-a gettin' short.

Hoitash
03-07-2011, 04:35 PM
similar, although I have no idea how long it takes to earn a PhD. no idea hwere I'm getting it, either. Master's first, though. That will take two years. Yay for public university :)

Relaxing a bit before tackling a paper and some reading I need to do. Although my idea is watching an LP of Dead space 2, so... Eh, sanity is overrated.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-07-2011, 06:13 PM
A PhD takes about 3.5 years full-time, 6-7 years half-time, depending.

Hoitash
03-08-2011, 08:24 AM
At least when I find a place I can get a longer lease.

tesral
03-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Living on campus?

Ampolitor
03-08-2011, 12:23 PM
sitting in my patrol car in between calls in lovely Gastonia, NC

tesral
03-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Ugh, dishes.

Anarkitty
03-08-2011, 04:49 PM
My first forum post on this site, and it's off topic. Woohoo!

I am sitting at work in Bellevue, WA, waiting for another call to come in and trying not to go crazy from the boredom.
Oh, and praying no supervisors walk past while I have a non-business web site open :D

Jeffrywith1e
03-08-2011, 04:50 PM
I am not supposed to be reading any of this while I'm at work. I'm dispatching school buses in St. Paul, MN. Making sure they clear their PM routes and are checking in for the after school routes. Other than that lurking my favorite gaming forums.

Hoitash
03-11-2011, 08:45 AM
Doing morning computer stuff. I have a meeting later, I need to meet my accountant later, and somehow finish editing my thesis before I have it printed.

Sascha
03-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Studying for the second exam in Ethics. (*curses Bentham and Mill*) Wishing it were 3pm already, so that the exam is over, spring break started, and I can get back to the Mass Effect replay on pause.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-11-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm also enrolled in an Ethics course. What a waste of time and money, IMO.

Sascha
03-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Depends on your educational goals, I suppose. I've not found any class to be a waste, as there's always something new to be learned. (Even in courses I had to retake, the literature's ever-changing with new discoveries.)

That, and I find philosophy fascinating, in and of itself.

tesral
03-11-2011, 10:00 AM
I spent a late night talking over skype to a friend in Washington. We were following the quake in Japan as it was reported in the news, comparing the various news services on the time it took them to report, updates and so forth.

Must be the 21st century or something.

Hoitash
03-11-2011, 10:36 AM
New centirues can sneak up on you.

That reminds me, I need to finish my second Mass Effect playthrough for when I can buy ME2. Although I have the other save I could use.

Thesis revised. Fortunately is was pretty much done all ready. I wonder how much 153 pages will cost to print...

tesral
03-11-2011, 11:56 AM
You no have printer?

Hoitash
03-11-2011, 12:12 PM
I don't have the ink or paper amounts needed to provide a consistently high quality printing for all three copies of my thesis.

Sascha
03-11-2011, 01:27 PM
That reminds me, I need to finish my second Mass Effect playthrough for when I can buy ME2. Although I have the other save I could use.
Love how the minor things get remembered when you import your save to the second game.

(Also, Shepard = rawr. 'Specially with that voice.)

AKBrowncoat
03-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Anchorage, Alaska

Reading over the forums of the site for the first time. Listening to sOiL. Willfully engaging in campaigns of misinformation regarding how much XPs to award my players for thier game last Sat night...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Just signed up for Aprils April Fools novel writing contest. Also waiting for the mail carrier to arrive.

tesral
03-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Having a real why the hell bother moment.

Sascha
03-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Avoiding studying for tomorrow's midterm.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Also avoiding homework. Arrgh!

tesral
03-24-2011, 02:25 AM
Finally going to bed.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Participating on the boards of April Fool's Novel Writing Contest.

Getting ready to go to the library to write some papers.

Hoitash
03-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Focusing on looking at things in a more positive spin so I don't pull a Hemingway.

And fighting an illness. Fortunately I'm winning.

tesral
03-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Positive spin is good. The gloom of the last few days was hitting me hard. Today is better. I'm working on my world. The household of Abba Eecreeana.

Have a house

Sascha
03-24-2011, 01:19 PM
On campus, outside the library. Meeting with a classmate to review for the midterm. Joy.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Still slacking. Still need to go to the library.

Malruhn
03-24-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm recovering from a knock-down, drag-out physical that included an echo-cardiogram and a stress test. I have the heart of a horse in my chest.

Which really sucks, because I'm thinking that I should have a human heart in there.

I used to have the heart of a 12-year old boy... but the police made me give it back.

Anyway, I'm quite healthy, so I'll be plotting against D&Ders for decades to come. (insert evil laugh here!)

tesral
03-24-2011, 08:41 PM
The heart of a horse doesn't leave much room for lungs.

Scribe of the Realm
04-02-2011, 11:22 AM
I can continue the health theme.

I just spoke with the pharmacy to refill another prescription. I have three pharmacies on speed dial and each one knows me on a first name basis.

Yesterday, the technicians who did my blood draw offered to teach me how to dance the Salsa. They also wanted to teach me how to spin on my head, but break dancing in the lab was against the rules.

tesral
04-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Brother I hear your pain. I have the same thing, the pharmacy staff knows me by name.

Last night was a bear, I have pictures of me that hurt. Today is better. Game this evening. I should finish my prep.

Sascha
04-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Physical geography exam #2 finished. On to Ethics, and Immanuel Kant.

I suspect Kant was a brilliant philosophical satirist, whose work has been erroneously taken seriously for the better part of three centuries. (Only because the alternative is maddening in trying to understand his writing.)

Malruhn
04-08-2011, 04:30 PM
IIIIIIIImmanuel Kant was a real piss ant, who was very rarely stable...

Sorry, I can't hear his name without thinking of Monte Python.

I'm busy gnawing on store-bought, rotisserie chicken and trying to relax after a huge work inspection that lasted all week. I did pretty well.

I'm also ticked that I have to go to work next week and not get paid... maybe for quite some time. It sucks working for Uncle Sugar, sometimes.

Sascha
04-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Sorry, I can't hear his name without thinking of Monte Python.
The sad part is, neither can I :\ Specifically the Hollywood Bowl performance of the sketch.

(Which then gets me thinking about albatrosses. And then I'm led to Iron Maiden ... via Samuel Taylor Coleridge. My mind is, apparently, stuffed with useless pop-culture references.)

Hoitash
04-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Better than the random history trivia floating through my head. Although that is at least partially related to my career choices.

Sascha
04-09-2011, 09:20 AM
That's the beauty of being an anthropology major: any BS field you want falls under its jurisdiction :p

tesral
04-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Getting ready for the monthly MDLUG meeting. Almost as much Microsoft bashing as a Windows developer conference!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Enjoying the snow last nights storm left. Thinking about going for a breakfast burrito run in a few.

tesral
04-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Ich. I think something caught me.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Reading a Greyhawk Classics novel entitled Descent into the Depths of the Earth, by Paul Kidd. It is definitely a good read.

Considering going on a grocery store run in a bit. Also, recieved Voyager, DS9, and Zatoichi tv series, dvds from Netflix. Gotsum watchin todo.

BTW, anyone on this site know if they ever released Expedition to the Barrier Peaks? I'm sure the novel was written, just not sure if it was published.

tesral
04-10-2011, 01:35 AM
[B][COLOR=#0000ff]BTW, anyone on this site know if they ever released Expedition to the Barrier Peaks? I'm sure the novel was written, just not sure if it was published.

Yes it was .Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_adv_b/?search-alias=stripbooks&unfiltered=1&field-keywords=&field-author=&field-title=&field-isbn=+ISBN+0-7869-1656-7&field-publisher=&node=&field-p_n_condition-type=&field-feature_browse-bin=&field-binding_browse-bin=&field-subject=&field-language=&field-dateop=&field-datemod=&field-dateyear=&sort=relevanceexprank&Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.x=0&Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.y=0) lists it "out of print limited availability". ISBN 0-7869-1656-7 for further reference. Good luck on the search

rabkala
04-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Hmmm, I thought it was a 'pick your path' book. For kids and those who hate the "living hell" that is sobriety.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Yes it was .Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_adv_b/?search-alias=stripbooks&unfiltered=1&field-keywords=&field-author=&field-title=&field-isbn=+ISBN+0-7869-1656-7&field-publisher=&node=&field-p_n_condition-type=&field-feature_browse-bin=&field-binding_browse-bin=&field-subject=&field-language=&field-dateop=&field-datemod=&field-dateyear=&sort=relevanceexprank&Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.x=0&Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.y=0) lists it "out of print limited availability". ISBN 0-7869-1656-7 for further reference. Good luck on the search

Thanx tesral, I hope you're right.

I'm aware of the ISBN, but that doesn't confirm its release, only its anticipated release. Even the author failed to list it in his credits for published works.

Ah well, we will find out soon enough. I have attempted to make contact with the author and hope for a speedy response concerning the mystery.

My suspicion is that it was never released. I hope I'm wrong.

I'll be sure to list the author's reply once received.
---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 AM ----------

Hmmm, I thought it was a 'pick your path' book. For kids and those who hate the "living hell" that is sobriety.

Nope, not a 'pick your path' book. :laugh: I'm currently reading the novel by Paul Kidd entitled Descent into the Depths of the Earth, and find that I'm enjoying it more than expected. Next up, Queen of the Demonweb Pits.

tesral
04-10-2011, 10:10 AM
It's looking more like I have a bad allergic reaction and not a cold. Good. I get over allergic reactions much quicker.

Back to my lists and the flying ships.

rabkala
04-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Wow Tes, sounds familiar. After I turned 40, I suddenly became allergic to many things I never had a problem with before. I am even allergic to metal (zinc and nickel), and I work with metal everyday! I am also allergic to many antibiotics and anti bacterials commonly used in soaps now. If it wasn't for my anti-histamines, I would be a complete mess.

tesral
04-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Hay fever, dust, tobacco. I've had it my whole life. I deal what else do you do?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Fools, living mortal fools. Choose the path of Lichdom and you will be rewarded with near immortality, no pains, no problems, & no worries.

Sascha
04-11-2011, 08:40 AM
'Cept those meddling adventurers who always unmask you to reveal Old Man Jenkins.

tesral
04-11-2011, 03:40 PM
That guy does get around.,

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Just got home. About ready to finish Descent into the Depths of the Earth, a Greyhawk Classics novel. Quite an enjoyable read. Next up, Queen of the Demonweb Pits. Oh, can't wait. I did mention I dated her - Lolth - once. Mean as a rabid dog, but killer in bed. Always had to watch out for the "spiders kiss."

Almighty Thoth's triva for the day: What is the Spiders Kiss? Be sure to give source information and appropriate credit. {yep, being vague on purpose so as not to give anything away}

bornap
04-12-2011, 05:40 AM
At home, ordering first two Fighting fantasy books and preparing to go to school.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-12-2011, 10:06 AM
No takers for Thoth's trivia question of the day? Cowards.

Winners get respect which will last about a minute. Hey, I'm evil, whatdaya expect?

Sascha
04-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Hey, I'm evil, whatdaya expect?
Cookies.

tesral
04-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Yes evil without cookies is no fun at all.

I think I'm over the hump on this cold thing. Back to pecking away at my website. Sue has a new story and I'm setting up a Harry Roberts sub section. It means jinking a few things around the page. I have the drawings for Eecreeana's Durum House finished, and I was thinking of posting those. I have the flying 74 exteriors in the home stretch. And I need a plot for Saturday.

Hoitash
04-12-2011, 05:29 PM
My life would be so much easier if I could be an amoral jackass that, when confronted with people picking on me, could calmly grab the nearest bottle and spike it at there feet while smiling.

Well, that and if I had a job. But I'd rather be able to scare people into leaving me alone.

Sascha
04-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Watching "The Man in the Iron Mask." Serious talent, serious presentation. Seriously unintended comedy.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Watching season 2 of Deep Space 9 & Voyager.

tesral
04-17-2011, 03:25 AM
Editing Star Trek stories...again. Continuing the project of revamping the Stories (http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/startrek/stories.html) page with ePub and mobi files in addition to PDF and HTML. Coughing got me up and I got involved.

Hoitash
04-17-2011, 08:48 AM
Trying to get my last undergrad paper done. I can study for my last exam tomorrow.

Commencement was yesterday, for those who care.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Feeding the dog. Going through emails.

Hoitash
04-18-2011, 08:39 AM
It's snowing. In April.

Why do I insist on staying in this weather random state? Something about syrup I think.

tesral
04-18-2011, 09:20 AM
It's snowing. In April.

Why do I insist on staying in this weather random state? Something about syrup I think.

If you don't like Michigan weather, wait a minute.

Well yet another day, feeling reasonably intact for the first time in a week. Got some house work done Sunday even. I have a box to ship.

Sascha
04-18-2011, 09:24 AM
We had snow a week and a half ago. Followed by a weekend of hot and dry wind blowing dirt around. And this weekend had the same, with less intense winds and hot; now my eyes are all irritated and itchy. (Thunderstorm predicted for tonight, with rain the next couple days. Then more hot and dry, whee.)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Would you believe we had snow a week ago, and that was in So. Cal. Just two days before that it was 90 degrees.

tesral
04-18-2011, 12:46 PM
The world is coming to an end. I suppose your work here is done.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-18-2011, 08:50 PM
No End, just chaos, just change. Chaos Rules!

The world ruled by undead is just the beginning. We'll keep some of the living alive to hunt for fun and food. Gotta keep the undead morale up, and all.

tesral
04-19-2011, 12:17 AM
Hmm, I need to fry more undead, they is getting uppity again.