PDA

View Full Version : Internet terms, how knowledgeable are you?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-24-2009, 08:26 PM
We all see odd words from time to time anywhere and everywhere on the internet, even on P&PG. Well, now is the time expand your internet vocabulary with such words as peep, snerk, meh, meeps, mooks, etc. To encourage participation, everyone please share one word per thread, and participate as often as you like.

I'll start:

1) blech: a sound used to describe boredom, or mediocrity.

2) ?

What share you?

Please note, complete definitions for many of the words posted here could be found at www.urbandictionary.com (http://www.urbandictionary.com)

Freejack
04-24-2009, 10:34 PM
I don't know that bletch is an internet specific term as I recall reading it in Mad Magazine years ago.

Here's a new one I picked up recently.

2. Sexting - Texting sexually explicit messages

Carl

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-24-2009, 10:40 PM
My bad. Maybe i wasnt clear. I just meant terms that folks find in use while surfing the internet. Thanks for participating, btw. Here's another:

3) Meh: Indifference; to be used when one simply does not care.

Sascha
04-24-2009, 11:19 PM
( ah, "meh," my favorite Simpsons-popularized phrase; it's so cromulent, it was admitted to an actual dictionary last year ;) )

4) rawr - a growl or roar; its usage is rather varied and individualized (I used it quite often in MMOs for signs of approval or interest, as response to compliment, or less often, a greeting; and it's crept into my offline speech, too ... how geeky is that? /sigh)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-24-2009, 11:33 PM
5) peep: Short for person or people.

kirksmithicus
04-25-2009, 12:26 AM
I have numerous terms that I have picked up in my life. I don't think they are in the urban dictionary and some might not be appropriate for posting here. But what the heck, and I'll leave the extremely offensive ones out. ;) Maybe I'll add them to the urban dictionary this weekend.

Blivet: A 500 gallon bag of water or fuel, or a fat girl.

Wilda Beast or (Herd of Wilda Beasts): A really ugly woman or women. Ex: Susan Boyle is a total Wilda Beast.

Retardo Montalbon (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Retardo+Montalbon): Someone who thinks they are really slick, cool and charming (like Ricardo Motalbon in Fantasy Island), but in reality is just a stupid smarmy jerk. Sweet Mullet! this one is in there too, and I know I originated this one.

Buzz Bomb / Buzz Bomber: A discussion about a serious sobering subject when you are drunk. The person who brings the subject up.

Sweet Mullet! (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sweet+Mullet): An expression I used to use instead of Great Scott or Holy Cow. Also a friends nickname. A guy who spends more time doing his hair than a woman and should probably just get a gender re-assignment surgery. Man I can't believe that this one was in the Urban Dictionary. I thought for sure I had come up with it. ;)

One-Upper: (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=One+upper) No matter what has happened to you in your life, this guy has done it and done it better or had worse happen to him.

Moped Biker Bar: Any bar on a military base.

Stuck: Anyone who's still rockin' it like it's 19xx. Ex: Check out that guys clothes, is that dude stuck or am I having a flashback to 1981?

I'm all over it like Al-Quida on a pork sandwich.

GoddessGood
04-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Yar - Affirmative.
FTW - For the Win, and it's kin "For great justice". A general exclamation, generally one of approval or agreement.
Stairs - Do you have stairs in your house? Only stairs can protect you from the horrible secret of space.

Sascha
04-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Counterpart for FTW is FTL (for the lose), denoting shortcoming, failure, or disapproval; see also fail and epic fail.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-25-2009, 06:44 PM
snerk: Verb or Noun: Small sound that is emitted through the nose and mouth, usually a compressed laugh or snort. Often accompanied with a small grin, smirk, or sneer. Usually a tone of either derision, (as when someone says something you find stupid) or innocent humor. (When someone tells you a funny joke and you are busy doing something else, so a full-fledged laugh is difficult.)Nice to use behind other's backs, as when they do something inanely stupid and you can't help but laugh about it, but don't want to fall over laughing. -urbandictionary.com

BrotherDog
04-26-2009, 03:52 AM
5) peep: Short for person or people.

Those be marshmallow treats shaped like baby chickens.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-26-2009, 10:40 AM
haroo: an exclamation of joy or happieness.
see also "Huzzah"

hazzah: a way to express extreme excitment
Hazzah! I got a pogo stick for my birthday!!

TAROT
04-29-2009, 01:03 AM
QFT - Quoted For Truth (Although it really means, "I agree.")

Kaewin
04-29-2009, 07:46 AM
IMHO - in my humble opinion.... I notice its not reall humble most of the time

AFK- away from keyboard

GoddessGood
04-29-2009, 08:37 AM
IIRC - a favorite of mine, means "If I Remember Correctly"

YMMV - Your mileage may vary. It means, this is my opinion, but I recognise what I say may not work for you and yours.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-29-2009, 10:22 AM
lmao: laughing my arse off
lol: laughing out loud, lots f laughs
ofr: on floor rolling, rolling on the floor