PDA

View Full Version : Tunnels and Trolls: Share your experiences...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-23-2009, 07:54 PM
I haven't played TnT since the original version and have noticed that, i believe, the system is now on version 7.5. I'm thinking about picking up the box set and giving it another go. It would be appreciated if any and all gamers with experience with said game would post their experiences. Thank you.

If you are a player of TnT, which edition do you play and recommend? Thanks.

tesral
04-24-2009, 12:46 AM
I have one adventure and the First Ed core book(let) Never used it.

Skunkape
04-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Don't remember which edition I played, but it was a long time ago, so more than likely it was first edition. I enjoyed the game quite a bit, but while it was fun, it was more like a beer and pretzels type of game to me, could have been the GM, but we never continued playing it after that one time.

tesral
04-25-2009, 01:17 AM
Don't remember which edition I played, but it was a long time ago, so more than likely it was first edition. I enjoyed the game quite a bit, but while it was fun, it was more like a beer and pretzels type of game to me, could have been the GM, but we never continued playing it after that one time.

It made a great deal of effort to not be D&D.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-09-2009, 06:37 PM
7500 members. Has anyone have friends that may have played it. I'd thought i'd give this thread one more shot even though i realize most on here are true dnd fans.

Thoth crosses fingers

Webhead
05-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Always wanted to try it but never have. Nor do I really know anyone who owns it. I have read reviews that said it is a good bit simpler mechanically than D&D but carries a lot of the same niche genre flavor (I believe it only uses 6-sided dice).

I too would be interested to hear from anyone who's actually played it.

BrotherDog
05-10-2009, 05:10 AM
Wow. I'd forgotten about that game, but never played it or heard anything. The last time I even saw it was back in '78 or '79.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-10-2009, 10:26 AM
They just released TnT7.5 in 2008. I've seen reviews on the box set but wanted to get a player review. Hopefully, someone will stumble across this thread and share away.

Thoth continues to cross fingers.

Mead
05-10-2009, 04:09 PM
I have an old boxed version, over 20 years old. Used to play solo adventures all the time, and I burned off a hell of a lot of time on the Crusaders of Khazan computer game (until my saves got corrupted)

I drag it out every couple of years and roll through a solo module or two.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks for chiming in, Mead. How did the edition(?) you played stack up against dnd of the time?

I have found a site that offers plenty of free modules, but again, want a players perspective. Also, I'm curious which edition is preferred.

Mead
05-11-2009, 05:38 AM
It was completely different from AD&D. T&T never tried to take itself too seriously.. the mechanics were different, and so was the setting - less "full immersion", more movie-fantasy.

I'd check the edition, but I'm not sure where it is at the moment. Probably still in a moving box somewhere.

Valdar
05-12-2009, 11:10 PM
One of the games I tried out in grade school. Haven't played it since.

The one thing I remember about the game is the crazy big swords. They had swords called things like Great Shamsheer that were like 20 feet long or something. Or maybe I was misreading the rules.

nijineko
05-14-2009, 01:10 PM
my first intro to the existence of tnt was via grimtooths books of traps. i've always meant to look into it, but never got around to it. ^^

templeorder
05-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Wow, now this takes me back. TnT - i would have to say first edition it was soooo long ago. I never owned anything, but i remember that this kid Eric in the neighborhood ordered it by mail i think (which was weird, because i think we all got our stuff at the locazl hobby shop and the original dept. store at Loehmann's Plaza at Factoria.

Valdar
05-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Wow, now this takes me back. TnT - i would have to say first edition it was soooo long ago. I never owned anything, but i remember that this kid Eric in the neighborhood ordered it by mail i think (which was weird, because i think we all got our stuff at the locazl hobby shop and the original dept. store at Loehmann's Plaza at Factoria.

What hobby shop was that? I'm trying to remember any gaming stores in Factoria back in the day, but nothing's coming to mind...

Mead
05-26-2009, 11:20 AM
It was completely different from AD&D. T&T never tried to take itself too seriously.. the mechanics were different, and so was the setting - less "full immersion", more movie-fantasy.

I'd check the edition, but I'm not sure where it is at the moment. Probably still in a moving box somewhere.

Found it. 5th edition, printed 1986, Corgi UK paperback. Not as old as I'd assumed, apparently.

Tower Lord
05-27-2009, 10:44 PM
T&T is best described as a story telling game, where narrative is used to move the game along and the simple systems do not hamper the flow of the story. Itís seen as a simple system and can very much be beer and pretzels in play if you play it that way.
It can also be a narrative adventure, a shared story with less rules and more imagination, for me, thatís its appeal and its timelessness as well.

The version 5.0 is one of the best laid out rules I have ever had the joy of reading. The format is easy to follow and the structure is sound. The game has little in the way of complex rules; its system of combat and personal saves allows much to be accomplished in a single nightís play, where some games now need a single night just for a single combat.

I prefer 5.0 with a few elements of 7.5. &.5 its really the house ruled version of 5.0 with a few new spells and monsters added to the mix. It needs better support to really get noticed, some new adventures would help. But in the age of computer games, is their room for written solo adventures anymore?

My love of the game is ease of play, open ended rules, quick combat and saving throws for non miniature play (though I use them anyway).

Ken

agoraderek
06-01-2009, 06:38 PM
5th edition was the longest edition, and probably the most played. I only dabbled in it (played the solo stuff like Mead said), and it was ok, but it was kind of silly, too. My alternate to D&D back then was Runequest, I outgrew the charms of T&T pretty quickly.

Not a bad game, but I wouldn't take it any more seriously than a session of Toon...

pixnlil
06-07-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm very much into T&T. I was introduced to it a few years back and have loved it ever since! There's quite an online group of us who really love the game over at trollhalla.com. Just sign in as a guest user and check out the links along the left-hand side.
As far as versions go, most of those who have been playing the game for years and years prefer 5th edition, but I started with 7.0 and have since changed over to the latest version (7.5). They're all fun, and the solos are still being produced by lots of fans. Let me know if you have any questions that I can help with! =)