PDA

View Full Version : General OOC Chatter

mnemenoi
04-23-2009, 08:43 AM
This is for just general banter or questions concerning the game, characters, histories, whatever really.

Lethargg
06-08-2009, 08:52 PM
I was toying around with some of the options on the forum, looking for the code-string needed to insert a hyperlink and may have stumbled upon a dice roller that is actually integrated into the forum itself.

But there does not seem to be much in the way of a tutorial for how to use it, so I am going to use this post to test it out.

The example given looks like this:

'roll=d20+17;2d4+3]Ylin swings his mighty mace[/roll'

with brackets in place of the single quotes I put on the outside so that the code could be seen and not translated. What will follow is the code itself, with the brackets, as it is intended to be used. We shall hopefully see the results of a dice roll?

Ylin swings his mighty mace
--- Merged from Double Post ---
So, it seems that the diceroller functions. The result being thrown into a smaller box at the end of the post, presumably containing all of the rolls from that particular post in a list organized by the descriptions of each individual roll. The example roll would appear to be one that we might see in a 3rd Edition D&D game, as a +17 to a d20 in 2nd Ed is unheard of, but, for our purposes, it does prove that we can use modifiers when necessary.

I have also just discovered that there is a button on the message editor that will automatically turn whatever text you have highlighted into a roll, so we don't need to remember the code-string. (three cheers for laziness! ... okay, well maybe just one, I don't feel like doing the other two.)

Let us have another go at it using the magic dice-button...

Say we wanted to do a Proficiency check, maybe Firebuilding. In this case, we would just do a single d20 vs. one less than the character's wisdom score. The diceroller does not know the target number, so we must check this ourselves on our character sheet, but all we would need to do is go to the part of our post where we have typed 'so-and-so builds a fire' and highlight 'builds a fire' then mouse-click the red, square button on the top-right of the toolbar above the box we are typing in. (It's the lower of the two rows of buttons and looks like a six-sided die.) This causes a dialogue box to pop-up asking for a value. This is the number of sides the die should have, so in this case, we put 'd20' and click 'OK'.

The result, when posted should look something like this:

So-and-so builds a fire.
I'm not sure why the 'mighty mace roll was rerolled, unless maybe it has something to do with the auto-merging of posts, but at least we proved with this attempt that the diceroller button works AND the system tracks all of the rolls made in a thread and when they were made. So we are making some headway at least.

Tomorrow, I'll try something more complicated, like a combat roll...

Windstar
06-09-2009, 06:27 AM
I am not sure I like you anymore Lethargg, I tried, tried, tried, got help and tried and got more help and tried, got help again and tried to get that firggin thing to work!!!??!??!??!!............*&^%$$^&*(*&^ lol

Lethargg
06-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Hahaha. Sorry man, I just kind of tripped over the diceroller last night, I didn't even realize it was there before that. If it makes you feel any better, it took me around two hours to get as far as I have with trying to figure out how it works, and I still have not nailed it.

But that's really the reason I am trying to document my attempts; so that everyone else in our group can watch me screw it up and learn from my mistakes. It will be worth it if we can actually get it to work, so feel free to jump in if you want.

Windstar
06-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Windstar mightaly throws keyboard at Lethargg
And it still doesn't work for me......*&^$%#@$^* LOL
I missed ya any way. But it did not show the die rolls right at first, but thet did show up after. Probably just me luck or lack of it.

Lethargg
06-09-2009, 04:42 PM
AHHH! Magical +3 Keyboard of Throwing!

It's a good thing I wasn't caught by surprise or it might have nailed me, I think I am beginning to lose my dexterity bonus in my old age. Oh CRAP! It exploded on impact sending QWERTY-shrapnel in a three-hex diameter! (Treat as grenade-like missile)

Lethargg rolls Save Vs. Breath Weapon!

I have also noticed that in certain page-view-options, or when using the browser's back button, the rolls are not immediately visible, but if you go out to the main forum page and go back in using a hard-link, the rolls will be there.

But it does seem that the auto-merging of 'double-posts' is indeed the reason that the roller automatically re-rolls. It seems that the auto-merge tricks the system into thinking that it is all one post. I noticed that there is a check-box to turn this on or off when editing a post, so the auto-merge must bypass this option and for some silly reason it is set to 'on' by default.

Windstar
06-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Alright smart butt, here is my +6 Logitech Supermouse.
Windstar whips his Logitech Supermouse

Take that!!!

Crossroads_Wanderer
06-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Hi mnemenoi, I wanted to ask something so I can determine the setup of my next post.

Is the king still in the room, or do I need to visit him privately?

mnemenoi
06-29-2009, 11:07 AM
He has left, but some of his court (Haegara Narlagh and Glondar Thundarden) are still about. They are usually the fastest way to any meetings with Beldas. (both are listed in Notable NPC's) Its likely he is still nearby as well.

mnemenoi
08-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Sorry all, ISP at the house decided to stop working and have been enjoying a rousing game of who is to blame with Comcast. Hopefully it will be resolved by next time in.... Otherwise it might be about time to allow some competition for a decent provider.

mnemenoi
09-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Random Name generators for dwarves if you need a hand

Male name generator (http://grey-starr.ca/Tools/random-male-dwarf-name.htm)

Female name generator (http://grey-starr.ca/Tools/random-female-dwarf-name.htm)

Dwarven Cuss's for proper swearing and name callin (http://grey-starr.ca/Tools/random-dwarf-cuss.htm)

The main site has a ton of very good name generators for other races as well

Windstar
09-13-2009, 07:49 AM
1, just saving a unique character type.

mnemenoi
09-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Anyone that is interested in joining this group we are always more then happy to have more players. Feel free to shoot me a PM or hit one of us up in Chat. Though the game is set in 2nd edition, this PBP is more concerned with writing and we will offer whatever assistance you might need to make you feel more comfortable and welcome. We look forward to hearing from you and sharing our tale....

Fly by Knight
09-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Ferous Lvl 2 hitpoints

Fly by Knight rolls some dice

Crud, i cant get this to roll and show the actual dice roll, so Im going to just rolll a 10 sided, Mnemnoi.

I rolled a 7, plus 3 for my con. total of 10.

mnemenoi
09-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Thats fine, I trust you whichever method you choose. Just write what you rolled.

Crossroads_Wanderer
09-21-2009, 10:36 PM
I used an online dice roller to roll 2 d6's for hp(because I just realized I gained 2 levels. Whoo!). I got 5 and 3. If you feel the need to check, I can forward you the email with the results.

mnemenoi
09-22-2009, 12:39 PM
I trust you all, No need to see any dice

Crossroads_Wanderer
11-08-2009, 03:54 PM
My response is a little out of order because of the last one, I don't know if I need to take it down and post it later in the thread, after we look at whatever the metal thing is, but hopefully it isn't too confusing where it is.

And yes, I know I suck. I'm sorry it took me so long to post. I've been really busy with classes lately, as finals are coming up really soon and I have a big paper to write.

mnemenoi
11-08-2009, 05:22 PM
No problem at all, I have been having a hectic work schedule of late. Hopefully it will calm down sooner or later, lol.

Marley117
11-08-2009, 08:33 PM
I shall post tomorrow. Sorry as well..I didn't really know what to say at the moment

Fly by Knight
11-09-2009, 07:45 AM
I see no problem at all with the order as Dolastyr was looking about as the story was taking place.

I just worked into the story as she distracted me as I was about to say something to you Cross. Just an FYI, I'll be asking about my axe to you, so Mnemenoi, do you mind filling her in so she can tell it as a story?

thanks

mnemenoi
11-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Yeah, no sweat at all. I'll run Dolastyr and I'll inform Cross about anything she can gather concerning your axe should you ask her.

Marley117
11-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Hey. I may be very slow to reply, so just assume my character is listening. There has been a family emergency, and I am not going to be around much for the next couple of weeks.

Fly by Knight
11-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Sorry to hear that Marley, best of luck.

See you soon.

fbk

Fly by Knight
12-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Umm, so uh, whats going on with this game? Are we "peetering out" as it were?

mnemenoi
12-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Sorry, been busy over the Thanksgiving holiday, will get to posting today, I promise...

Fly by Knight
12-02-2009, 04:20 PM
No worries Mnemnoi, its the holidays. I just hadnt heard anything from anyone.

thanks

Fly by Knight
02-14-2010, 01:00 AM
Hey Mnemnoi and all. Its been over two weeks since a post has happened here. I personally enjoy this pbp and I apologize if i get pushy but 2 weeks is kind of a long time to go without any posts, or word from anyone in the game.

Azar is still around, he was in my pathfinder game but havent heard a peep out of anyone else.

Whats the deal?

Im not sure how long is normal, I guess I got spoiled with fairly rapid responses..

Thanks all

mnemenoi
02-21-2010, 08:18 AM
Sorry, Fly I am going to be getting back to this PBP shortly, have just been hella busy with Convention stuff recently and I think I bit off more then I could chew. I promise to get some posts up this week...

1Vamp Larp (100+ players) + 1 DitV game = one overworked DM, lol

nijineko
04-06-2014, 01:21 PM
If you want this game moved out of the inactive section, contact Farcaster, or maybe one of the moderators. =D

mnemenoi
04-06-2014, 03:22 PM
Ehh, its not overly critical. Mostly writing for my own fun and if anybody else enjoys it.

Windstar
04-11-2014, 12:48 AM
Well you know there are those that miss it, and look forward to more.

Crossroads_Wanderer
04-12-2014, 10:35 AM
Well hello there. :)

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I'd also like to see if this picks up again. :)

mnemenoi
04-15-2014, 01:36 PM
Got my new lap top finally and looking forward to getting back onboard, I'll continue to write up some extras and add on for plot and story development