PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

Falfough
12-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Ok i have a story for you. I was an avid MMORPG player i was like WOOHOO and stuff. So my uncle who used to play D&D in a trailer in his frount yard as a kid showed me the bascis and me and a few of my friends decided we should try it.

We played once and no one else liked it. I loved it. I was heartbroken i really wanted to play it with people. So i was looking around WotC website when i found these boards but theres no one listed around my area.

Im kinda new and have never *really* played before but i want to try. So to my point:

Can anyone tell me where i can find a group. is there another good spot to look for people to play with?

Farcaster
12-01-2006, 04:35 PM
Actually, there are a few players in your area registered here on the boards. You might try widening your search out to 25 miles or so. But, if you strike out, you might also want to checkout the Philadelpia Dungeons & Dragons meetup (http://dnd.meetup.com/136/?gj=sj6).

Grimwell
12-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Definitely look into Meetup, but not just for D&D. Search out Science Fiction and Fantasy groups. Anything geeky. You will bump into one or two D&D'ers that way. Even more important is to check out your local gaming stores for 'gamers wanted' boards. Join the RPGA and see what's playing in/near Jersey (should be plenty). Look for area cons to attend.

Living where you do, you should be pleasantly suprised at what you find with some digging. Don't leave it just to the internet. ;P

Falfough
12-01-2006, 07:32 PM
K that does help a bit guys i do have 1 prob that i forgot to explain im only 16 and i doubt my parents would allow me to play with anyone over the age of say 19 or so and this severly limits the ppl i am able to play with. i think ill check my local geek store for a gamers wanted board..and i didnt know about that meet up thing.

Skunkape
12-01-2006, 08:56 PM
What you might try if your parents will let you is inviting whoever is running the game to run it at your house. That way, the person running the game will know that you have your parents' permission and your parents will get an idea as to what that person is like.

I have no problems with players who are under the age of 18 as long as they are mature as far as a commitment to playing. Anyway, hopefully you'll get plenty of help and ideas from the forums and will be able to find a group. Also, your parents might be ok with you playing at a gaming store.

In our area, I'm constantly in contact with a few RPGA members who have no problems with allowing young players to participate, as long as they have their parents' permission. Good luck, and happy gaming!

Grimwell
12-02-2006, 08:08 AM
Key to getting parental support: Don't hide what you are doing from them! Let them see you playing D&D, let them see the people you are playing with. Make sure they go into the local gaming stores with you, and become aware of the scene. Invite them to play at a public event (RPGA session at a con perhaps? Or a game day at a store?) so they can 'see what this is all about' and then if you meet a prospective DM who is an adult invite that DM over to meet your parents, demo the game if needed, and answer questions.

While that is a lot to ask of a prospective DM, I'd do it. I'm fairly pro-active about breaking misconceptions thoguh.

D&D (or any game) isn't evil or bad, and those of us who play aren't evil or bad. Don't hide it (or us) from your family and they will have a lot less to worry about. It's the stuff that you hide that bothers us (I'm a parent).

Farcaster
12-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Good ideas all, Grimwell. You might also engage your Uncle to help educate your parents on the game. Perhaps you can get your Uncle to attend a few games with you when you find a new group. That might assuage your parents fears, should they have any.

Skunkape
12-04-2006, 06:27 AM
While that is a lot to ask of a prospective DM, I'd do it. I'm fairly pro-active about breaking misconceptions thoguh.

D&D (or any game) isn't evil or bad, and those of us who play aren't evil or bad. Don't hide it (or us) from your family and they will have a lot less to worry about. It's the stuff that you hide that bothers us (I'm a parent).

Very well said grimwell! I feel the same way, and you'll find most mature DMs will be cut from the same cloth so to speak. More importantly, those are the best DMs to have running a game, because they're interested in making the game fun for the group, and I've always had a good time playing with DMs like that!

Oh by the way, my use of the term mature has nothing to do with chronological age!:D

Dimthar
04-19-2008, 01:36 PM
A little late (like 3 years)... but things have been quiet around here lately, so is good to revive some old threads.

For someone who is 16 (19 now ...btw, are you still around?) I will recommend sticking with his age group for your regular group. And use gamedays or Cons as an opportunities for enrichment by playing with other "Age groups".

Your group will not only share similar schedules, but will easily move your relationship and friendship past the weekly game.

Half of my friends come from my "Geek" life, we share a taste for RPG, Board games, LAN Parties, SciFi shows, etc, as the years went by, our wives and kids have similar ages. Actually one of them will be the godfather of my daughter.

But also as I grew older and moved from my native city (and country), the Age range of people I play with has considerably increased.

IMHO

The Wandering Bard
04-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Yeah I recommend checking at your local hobby store, most owners know people that game and should be able to help you out. also I highly recommend this sites Play by post games, they are slow enough for a person to learn to play, its very easy to access, it allows some game play as well as little danger to yourself (less worry for your parents.) also the DM's are very helpful. If your intrested I run one of the games and am always looking for more players, the others in the game are great and very helpful as well. if you would like more info just PM me and I will help you in anyway I can.