PDA

View Full Version : Organic PbP game; interest check

yukonhorror
04-22-2009, 05:21 AM
I used to be pretty involved in the theater, and I took this workshop on impromptu . There was this game that was basically organic storytelling. As I play in a pbp game, I realize how similar it is to impromptu theater.

So I had a thought (in my insomnia tonight). What about an organic pbp game? Anybody could contribute as a GM or as a player. Each new post progresses the game/story.

I think this would be super fun, and something the whole P&PG community could contribute to. There would be no posting obligations, and would go along the pace of the game.

The logistics would only be involved in game mechanics. Do we use a specific system, or one very open-ended one. Do we use a free system, or something like D&D?

For those not familiar with what I am talking about, here is somewhat of an example:

1)Jack and jill go up the hill
2)all of a sudden ogres jump down from the trees and threaten jack and jill for all of their gold
3)Before jack and jill can decide on whether or not to give into the ogre's demands, an arrow comes plunging towards the ogre
robin hood shoot arrow vs ogre 1's AC
and the next person woud assess success and describe what happened (or didn't happen)

[edit: the roll didn't show up :confused::(, ahh well]

What do you think? Setting, characters, conflict would all be established impromptu.

I think this could speed up the pace of a pbp game dramatically, because you would never need to wait on someone's response. (someone specific). The above 4 posts, could be done by two people playing back and forth (similar to level up thread).

There could be a topic for character details (class, race, background, etc...) one for monster's stats and necessary rolls for success (for those that want to post as GM), etc...

It could be the pbp game that has 7000+ players/GM's. Just a thought, but I think it would be awesome.

Because I am not a community supporter, it would probably be easier for an admin or a supporter to set things up. THis post is to check the level of interest.

Even mechanical character creation could be post by post. Using 4e rules:

1) he is a barbarian
2) his stats are 16, 14, 13, 10, 8, 14 (in order)
3) his race is half-elf
4) his diletente power is acid orb
5) his skills are endurance, nature, and athletics

etc....

Same thing could go for deciding what creatures are part of an encounter. One poster could initiate combat, but 4 others decide on having it involve, a fire giant, a azer raider, another azer raider, and a efreet cinder lord in a fashion as above. Of course, this would be more 4e appropriate, again, but you get the idea (I hope)

Post here if this sounds fun or cool or lame or pointless.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
addendum:

genre would probably have to be specified, but not system (now that I think about it).

System could be switched as story progresses, same with level. One part of the story could be level 18 4e, and the next could be level 2 3.5 ed D&D, and another part could be level 5 hackmaster.

I think abrupt changes would be bad, but after clear out cave of orcs and find out they are the ones behind the midnight raids, then a switch would be warranted. But if in the middle of the cave you find tiamat, probably not.

As for genre, I don't see super heroic mixing great with fantasy. Shadowrun, horror, etc.. have fantasy elements so they would be ok. Another one that is much different is space opera. Maybe not, but would want somewhat of a coherent story.

I see it changing like a simpson's episode. Yes, you start off by watching a movie about dueling and slapping people in the face with a glove, but you wind up making a hybrid between tomatoes and tobacco. Saying those two separate seems ridiculous, but watching the episode, you realize the smooth transition.

yukonhorror
04-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Bump???

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-23-2009, 10:11 AM
I was planning on starting something somewhat similar, but mine is different enough so as not to conflict with this one(not a pbp). So I'd say, go for it!

Pick your setting, etc, and count me in as a participant, for I will happily join in on this thread, yukonhorror. Very cool idea, making a pbp game of it.

yukonhorror
04-23-2009, 10:21 AM
the point is though, the users define the setting. Hence why it is organic. One week it could be ancient greece, the next it could be the 41st century with solar vehicles, and such, but the raw materials for guns doesn't exist so still use magic and swords.

I got one. If I can get 4 more, I'll start the ball rolling.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-23-2009, 10:24 AM
It is my belief that you will get a lot more than 4. It's early, wait a couple of hours and i am sure you will get more than you imagined.

yukonhorror
04-23-2009, 10:30 AM
i posted this yesterday and no hits. I had to bump it to hopefully get someone's attention. I need to talk to farcaster and get a pbp forum set up for it though.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-23-2009, 10:32 AM
I'd say, get that process rolling. I'll keep an eye out for it. :biggrin:

yukonhorror
04-23-2009, 03:53 PM
i contacted FC, and made my social group. Now must wait.
that was quick, it is now it's own forum under ever-changing adventures

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-23-2009, 04:10 PM
i contacted FC, and made my social group. Now must wait.
that was quick, it is now it's own forum under ever-changing adventures
Be sure to list the link for the newer members, and the lurking soon-to-be members, yukonhorror. Oh, and congrats!

yukonhorror
04-23-2009, 04:27 PM
here it is. Green and seasoned alike are welcome to play.

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149

yukonhorror
04-28-2009, 02:41 PM
no takers
:(:hurt::Cry::pout::sad: