PDA

View Full Version : We should be dead.

tesral
04-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Are you over thirty? If so going by the "healthy and safety" standards of today, you should be dead.

What wonderful things did you do as a kid that would horrify Mothers Against Everything today?

The all time classic. A good game of Jarts. An 18 inch long steel tipped plastic finned dart you tossed at a target on the ground. Did I mention steel tipped?

The Creature Creator. I don't remember if that was the exact name. It was a hot plate with molds you filled with plastic goop to make rubber bugs and such. Just a step down from playing with fire, just a step mind you.

Anyone have some more? Mind you you had to have done it, not just heard of it.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Lets see:
1) Caught rattlesnakes when i was a kid, with stick in hand.
2) Jumped off 30 food cliffs into the river on my bmx bike.
3) Climbed to the top of these flexible trees and swung them till they broke into the lake.
4) Did the jarts thing.
5) The creature creator sounds familiar.

mrken
04-21-2009, 03:50 PM
How about:

1. Swam across the Mississippi one day.
2. Caught cotton mouth snakes.
3. Rode my bike, without a helmet, shoes, or even anything more than shorts.
4. Rode same bike down a one mile hill, maybe 40 mph.
5. Climbed trees maybe sixty feet tall.
6. Raced figure eights in an old car, at sixteen.
7. Played baseball without a batting helmet.
8. Rode the rope hanging from the tree into the river.

I don't know how, but somehow I didn't die like some of my friends.

kirksmithicus
04-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Played Jarts, by standing on the target then throwing the Jart straight up into the air. Closest one to the jart when it landed got 5 points.
Made Molotov cocktails for fun
Lighters and hairspray were always a good time.
Took all the dud fireworks from the 4th and scraped the black powder out to make a huge firecracker.
Jumped off the roof of the house and otherwise played on the roof.
Played with non poisonous snakes.
Went swimming in the irrigation ditch (which is quite disgusting).
Made light sabers out of PVC pipe and spray paint. I had a paint mark on my forehead for a week where my cousin broke his over my head.
Made improvised weapons out of axe handles, broom sticks, scrap metal etc, and shields out of plywood and..... fought with them.
Jousted on our bikes. This is how we learned that a small strip of wood at the top of the shield is a good idea. It keeps the broomstick from sliding off and poking you in the face. Eventually it just turned into mounted combat on bikes.
Tested our shields out against bows and flight arrows.
BB gun fights.
Drove my brothers car around, I was 10.
Rock fights.
Collected liquor bottles from the side of the road and poured the dregs into one bottle until we had enough to drink. Yes, it was rather disgusting.
Rode my horse to school when I was 5, because I missed the bus.
Made slugs on the railroad tracks.
Hopped onto to train cars when they slowed down. Once had to walk seven miles back home from the next town over when I didn't jump off before the train got up to full speed.
Tried everything possible to derail a train.
Stayed up until 2 or 3 A.M. on the weekends during the summer playing hide and seek or sardines.
Kite fights. Glue razor blades to the front of your kite and have at it.

All of this before I hit puberty and became really stupid. See what kids did before cable TV. Are you sure you want kids to go back to being hooligans instead of zombies? :p

tesral
04-21-2009, 07:06 PM
How about:

4. Rode same bike down a one mile hill, maybe 40 mph.

30, you hit this wall of air and you can't get faster. I had a spedo on the bike. Even down derby hill I never could top 31 miles an hour.

All of this before I hit puberty and became really stupid. See what kids did before cable TV. Are you sure you want kids to go back to being hooligans instead of zombies? :p

Must have been great growing up in a rural area. I grew up in serious city. The most green we had was Rouge Park at 1200 acres. We still drove our bikes down by the river on one tracks with trees a foot to either side. I misjudged one and turned my front wheel into a beautiful model of negativity curved space. I picked myself out of the bushes, brushed off and half carried the bike to a friend's house to borrow a phone. My Dad picked me and the bike up. I got a new wheel. That bike had balance I could ride hands free on a rutted, potholed, gravel road.

Or the time on the previous bike I had to swerve to avoid a car and slammed into the back bumper of a small pickup. I ended up in the pickup bed. I half carried the bike home that day too. It bent the fork back to the point the wheel crossed the frame. My Dad got it fixed at work. Good as new.

Mind you no pads no helmet. The way I rode I was damn lucky I never killed myself.

Oh, oh iron filing rockets. Those were fun, if mostly harmless. Roll iron filings into a gum wrapper and light one end, woosh

yukonhorror
04-21-2009, 07:27 PM
1. Hit front tire of bike on telephone pole and got launched
2. Flipped truck on dirt road (no seatbelt :stupid: )
3. Skied down hill tucking the whole way down
4. Jumped off (and out of) moving vehicles
5. Hitchhiked and got picked up by what seemed like a very drunk driver
6. Firework wars (shooting fireworks at each other)
7. General pyromania
-setting couch on fire
-setting kitchen on fire
-etc..
8. Exposure to second-hand smoke since I can remember
9. Drinking copious amounts of alcohol on very empty stomach in very short period of time (and I weighed about 150 lbs)
10. General explosive fun (details followed)

a) go to any outdoors store, buy black powder (not the smokeless kind, good and smoky means good and powerful). Black powder is super fun. Lots of instances, so will only mention best. Take a 6oz sunny D bottle, fill with black powder. Take a firework fuse, and wrap metal (anything but copper) around fuse. Bury fuse in black powder. Attach alligator clips to both ends of metal wire. Duct tape the crap out of bottle (compression is key). Duct tape to bottom of a 5gallon bucket. Connect other end of alligator clips to speaker wire. Fill bucket with gasoline (3 gallons is good). Take speaker wire as far as you have and hook it up to a car battery. Wait.... BOOOM! Instant fireball.

b) if have access to acetylene torch, fill those long clown balloons with a 60/40 mix (can't remember which is which) acetylene and oxygen. Ignite (somehow), and boom!

c) take bag of flour. Cut small holes throughout bag (to weaken integrity). Soak in kerosene, light on fire, and drop from large height. On impact, exploding silo effect.

d) bury string of m80's in sawdust. Fun. (not my idea but saw it at firework show. Almost blinded audience).

mrken
04-21-2009, 08:45 PM
30, you hit this wall of air and you can't get faster. I had a spedo on the bike. Even down derby hill I never could top 31 miles an hour.

I stand corrected. The bike had no speedometer so I will have to take your word how fast I was going.

As for all these deeds of daring escapades (or just plain careless stupidity), I wonder if we can be held liable for the death of some other careless stupid person who does the same deed of careless stupidity as we did, but we lived. Brings up a saying my mother said once. "If Bobby Sch**** jumps off the garage does that mean you have too?" I had to answer, "Yes!" cause I had already do that. Got me grounded. But she then started to say Empire State Building instead. lol

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-21-2009, 08:49 PM
When we were kids, we all felt immortal. I miss those days of feeling that way.

cplmac
04-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Did the bike downhill thing, of course never wearing a helmet
Did the Jarts thing
Swinging on wild grape vines, in the woods, until it breaks while you on it
Riding in the back of a pickup truck
Didn't have to sit in a car seat as a kid while riding in the car
Crab apple wars

Rochin
04-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Ah the memories of all that totally awesome stuff!! Being a kid was great, being over 30 is no where near as fun!

tesral
04-21-2009, 11:03 PM
When we were kids, we all felt immortal. I miss those days of feeling that way.

(Creeek, snap, POP, groan) Yea, tell me about it. I use to think I'd live forever, now I'm afraid I might.

Ah the memories of all that totally awesome stuff!! Being a kid was great, being over 30 is no where near as fun!

When the only worry was homework and the only responsibility was making your bed. Lost summers of no place to be between waking up and dinner.

On the other hand, I own the house and can do pretty much as I please with it. If I don't want to make my bed I don't. I have a CAR! Being over 30 has some advantages.

kirksmithicus
04-21-2009, 11:24 PM
I didn't even know what a seat belt was until 1984 when I finally got to ride up front in the cab of the truck. ;)

Yeah, I sure had some good times as a child. We did some dumb stuff and lived to tell the tale. My cousins cousin from Illinois wasn't so lucky. He bit his tongue almost completely off, when he jumped off the roof of the house. They stitched it back up at the hospital, but I here he still talks funny because of it though.

One of the biggest things I remember was that I didn't have a choice about playing outside. My mom threw us out at 9ish and wouldn't let us back in the house except for lunch, then it was back outside until dinner. We were not allowed to air condition the whole planet, or so she kept telling us. With all the global warming, maybe we should have. ;) That, and we played baseball every day, for freakin' hours on end. I would have went pro, except for the fact that I sucked.

Other crazy things I remember are buying beer and cigarettes at the gas station because my uncle Hoofy was to lazy to get out of the truck. Of course we always got paid a candy bar to be his gopher so it was a good deal, but can you imagine a 6 year old buying a pack of Reds and two Tall Boys now?

Kaewin
04-22-2009, 05:50 AM
We would play Jarts and hold the hoops, the other person would move it and you would try to get it in.

Used to run an jump off this steep gravel hill and rode the flow down about 30 or 40 feet.

Did the weapon thing, had my glasses broken once.

Would drive my bike off of the edge of a ruined building into the ocean. would explore parts of that building when it was underwater because it was more cool.
Walk out to the edge of the sand bar and wait for the tide to come in to swim against it.
I use to cliff dive, about 40 ft in the air into a tight chasm maybe 10 ft across. My wife said it made her crazy when we were dating.

Used to ride on a friends hood and he would hit the breaks as we tried to stay on, one guy broke his leg

Would make rope swings and high trees and tried them out, some were more successfull that others, dirt tastes bad

Freejack
04-22-2009, 06:50 AM
No more than stuff I do now. I ride a Hayabusa and have hit speeds of 170 miles per hour. The Hayabusa has 87,000 miles on it. I've ridden in every state but Hawaii and every Canadian province except Nunavut. Nothing like getting a flat on a bike 125 miles from civilization. I also commute on it. I used to ride a bike (Harley and GSXR) from Woodbridge VA up to DC on 395 every day. Now I ride the 'busa to work and at times, I'm the only one on the road. I've also avoided accidents quite a few times (I'm very aware). I ride a SV650S at the track. High speeds and knee down turns.

I'm not done having fun yet.

And as a kid, my brother and I have gone on all day hikes, from Imperial Beach to the airport and back. We had the selser rockets and didn't lose an eye (pressure type; bit of selser in some toilet paper, mix with water and cap it, *whoosh*). I had to carry my bike home after running into the back of a car and bending up the forks. My friends and I have explored an abandonded pig farm, one time knocking a large pole down and fracturing my toe (only saved from worse because of a cap with a lip on the end of the pole that kept the pole from crushing it).

And I turned 52 this past Monday and I'm riding the Hayabusa to GenCon this year (part of a 10,000 mile trip). Hope to see you there :D

Carl

GoddessGood
04-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Hmm, I guess I was much less adventurous than most here :) Still:

1. Rode bikes without hands (even while turning), with no helmet or pads at all hours in unfamiliar neighborhoods.
2. Crossed irrigation canals (50 to 70 feet across, 20 to 30 feet deep) by walking across rusting water pipes (maybe 3 feet in diameter).
3. Made forts and clubhouses in the space under the branches of orange trees in a farmer's grove near my house. Said farmer was known for having several large dogs and a shotgun.
4. Climbed around on a rusty, defunct school bus that had been abandoned near said farmer's house.
5. Attacked trees and shrubbery with "weapons of mass destruction" (a.k.a. lawn tools)
6. Attacked each other with weapons made of dowel rods and scrap wood.
7. Went out at night wearing all black and played "vampire games" with friends in empty fields and unfinished houses.
8. Walked along major highways at night, alone, and wearing non-reflective clothing.
9. Threw things at cars. For the record, I only ever threw bits of string cheese :)

Skunkape
04-22-2009, 09:59 AM
1) Played smash up derby with our bikes.
2) Climbed multiple trees with power lines running through the branches.
3) Shot BB guns at each other.
4) Used wooden swords to swordfight each other, with no protection of any kind.
5) At least where I lived, the creature creator you mentioned was known as a "Creepie Crawlie" maker. Not sure of the spelling. Bought one of the newer ones for my grandson about 8 years ago. The new ones use a light bulb and sans taking the machine apart, there's almost no way of burning yourself!
6) Had a chemistry set that had various hazardous chemicals in it, at least by today's standards.
7) We also killed a rattlesnake while riding in my boat.
8) Used same boat multiple times in Tampa Bay without a life-preserver.

tesral
04-22-2009, 03:52 PM
1)
6) Had a chemistry set that had various hazardous chemicals in it, at least by today's standards.

Oooh I forgot Chemistry sets. Back when they still had chemicals in them. Today they are so wimped out it isn't even funny, or educational. Never mind what they call chemistry in school these days. We had real chemistry, with Jacob's ladders, bubbling cauldrons, and vats of newt eye on the shelf.

I have a friend who gave teaching high school a shot. Chemstriy major. He keveched up and down about how little chmestriy is left in the chemstriy.

cplmac
04-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Like tesral said, there isn't much chemistry left compared to before. My kid brtoher is a chemistry teacher and says the same thing. Now they are getting to the place where instead of teaching and showing all kinds of stuff dealing with chemestry, the schools only want the teachers to deal with what are on the standardized tests that everyone here now take at three different times throughtout their schooling.

:focus:

GoodessGood's post reminded me of at Halloween we would get as many ears of corn as possible, get the kernals off of them then go cornning. Automobiles and Houses where fair game. Probably a good thing that Freejack wasn't in this area, since we were equal opportunity and would corn the motorcycles too.

nijineko
04-22-2009, 05:56 PM
hmmmm... not all of this stuff would have gotten me killed, but some of it should have!

jarts, check, but i stuck with the rules.

croquette where if you hit your opponent or their ball, you got a free hit on their ball... you weren't allowed to move during other peoples turns.

bocce balls, but again, i pretty much stuck with the rules.

we played tron (ala combat frisbee), does that count?

kicked the toughest kid in school in the rear cause i finally lost my temper at him, then had to run for my life. if we hadn't been in school during hours, and he late for class, my survival would have been highly questionable. we later became friends when he realized that i didn't look down on him, and that my mental differences isolated me just as much as his isolated him...

fought a fellow student, after having been provoked too far, with those plastic hockey sticks from gym class...

was in fights in a construction zone with rock shards, and metal pipes for weapons...

have been hunted through the streets by gangs... admittedly due in part to my 'smart-alec' mouth...

along with above mentioned, have gotten into combats with small gangs where our bikes were the primary weapon. wheelie smashes, drive-by kicking and hitting, thrown rocks, using the bike as a melee weapon by whirling it around... that was also when i learned how to ride at speed on ice, and how to ride up to a fence, hit the ground running, throw the bike over said fence, climb, jump and remount and ride away all without breaking stride...

laid a trap for one of the above mentioned bullys... actually that's a funny story...

built an improvised flame thrower at scout camp. funny, but i never was able to go again after that. i rather think they should have made a merit badge for it...

played d&d at scout camp instead of getting badges...

played with ropes, knives, axes, hatchets, mauls, fire, and other assorted fun, mostly at scout camp...

waded in streams of questionable origin...

climbed all manner of trees and buildings and rooftops. including 5-20 story ones...

threw transformers into the air over power lines only to have mine land on a passing car. on the windshield. and explode. (the transformer, not the glass, luckily)...

model rocketry... but again, i was fairly rule abiding about it...

coins on the tracks, check...

i have exceeded 35-40 on a bicycle, but that's because i was riding during a storm with the wind to my back and leaning about 20-40 degrees into the wind when it was at my side...

burned magnesium metal... which happens to be the fuse you need to set off thermite, but i never did that...

the usual hormone induced curiosity about the opposite gender and attempts to peek. i nearly got myself killed. wised up and avoided like the plague ever since. hormones really do make people stupid, or at least do supremely stupid things...

used a fresnel lens to burn all manner of objects. tires, car interiors through the windows, boil water, paint off of buildings, scar concrete, and start fires, of course...

discovered that gasoline dissolves styrofoam, the hard way. hint: don't use styrofoam cups to carry gas...

flambeed a (semi) ah, crap what is that in english... cicada, that's right, in gasoline, then dumped cold water into it, making the mayo jar i was using shatter somewhat explosively...

thrown glass bottles at stuff...

made crude bolas and used them versus bikes. quite effective when they get in the spokes...

threw my cat at someone, said cat did not like air travel and was always guaranteed to land claws out. left some marks landing and then leaping off said person...

dropped some metal sheet on my toe making the nail fall out...

played in the woods and fields with a fine disregard for personal safety...

vine swinging, check.

teaching other people how to make nitroglycerine somewhat safely. i don't do this anymore, so please don't ask. ^^ you could always do what i did, if you must, and simply look it up in your school library (high-school, no less)...

the one time i accepted a ride from someone, it turned out to be an older fellow looking for like-minded males. i politely told him i was only interested in females and got out. needless to say, i don't hitchhike much.

riding and turning without hands on a bicycle, check. downhill too.

GoddessGood
04-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Haha, niji reminded me of a couple of feats. Namely that I once (accidentally) shaved off a fingernail with a bic razor (it grew back, thank god) and once managed to rollerskate over my own wrist :) That was a proud day.

Genesplicer
04-22-2009, 06:53 PM
I fell out of a tree. Does that count for anything?

tesral
04-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Haha, niji reminded me of a couple of feats. Namely that I once (accidentally) shaved off a fingernail with a bic razor (it grew back, thank god) and once managed to rollerskate over my own wrist :) That was a proud day.

Your own wrist? I'm not sure I want to know.

I fell out of a tree. Does that count for anything?

Thank you for the practical proof of gravity.

burned magnesium metal... which happens to be the fuse you need to set off thermite, but i never did that... .

I burned magnesium, when I could get it.

When I was 12 my Grandfather let be set off the dynamite.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Did a lot of cave exploration, even crawling through tunnels. Played with bolas, boomerangs, and bow and arrows, and yet, i'm still alive.

tesral
04-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Did a lot of cave exploration, even crawling through tunnels. Played with bolas, boomerangs, and bow and arrows, and yet, i'm still alive.

I still shoot archery.

Etarnon
04-23-2009, 12:25 AM
Seems like the kids that got killed doing all of this can't post here.

Skunkape
04-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Oooh I forgot Chemistry sets. Back when they still had chemicals in them. Today they are so wimped out it isn't even funny, or educational. Never mind what they call chemistry in school these days. We had real chemistry, with Jacob's ladders, bubbling cauldrons, and vats of newt eye on the shelf.

I have a friend who gave teaching high school a shot. Chemstriy major. He keveched up and down about how little chmestriy is left in the chemstriy.

That's alright, I forgot about Bunsen burners, we used those in junior and senior high school!:eek:

Did the bolas, boomerangs and bow & arrows thing too! Even used pistols, rifles and shotguns!

GoddessGood
04-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Ahh yes, bunsen burners. I knocked one over once and it ended up setting my partner's lab notebook on fire. Also, put hot glass in a cold, wet sink ... hooray glassplosion!

tesral
04-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Ahh yes, bunsen burners. I knocked one over once and it ended up setting my partner's lab notebook on fire. Also, put hot glass in a cold, wet sink ... hooray glassplosion!

I remember going through glass ware an an inexplicable rate. The teacher watched a test tube just shatter in my hand. (well it was in a clamp, I was heating it) He took a look at my gear. Some Nimrod had supplied me with test tubes that were not Pyrex. He replaced my glass inventory on the spot.

These days if a student broke a glass object in class, (not that they would be given glass) they would evacuate the school and call in a hazmat team. Likely arrest the studet as a terrorist too.

My art teacher in junior high OKed me bringing exacto knives to school. So did my bioligy teacher in High School. The frog comes apart a lot easier with a sharp knife.

GoddessGood
04-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Heh, I remember getting chased around the biology classroom with razor blades. My lab partner thought it was funny, I was not amused. Also, formaldehyde is hard to handle on an empty/before lunch stomache. Adding lemony fruit smelling aerosol spray to "cover it up" makes everything suck. Add to that the cutting up of corpses ... I don't have a weak stomach, but there are limits.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Oh, and dont forget highschool woodshop. Lathes, drills, tablesaws, oh my.

GoddessGood
04-23-2009, 11:02 AM
I submit: Staplerfahrer Klaus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUwki29-rYQ)

tesral
04-23-2009, 01:38 PM

Metal shop, we had a working forge. You could pound white hot metal. I hear Mother's Against Everything screaming in terror.

I submit: Staplerfahrer Klaus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUwki29-rYQ)

But he doesn't want to show up. Must be too dangerous in this thread.

Skunkape
04-24-2009, 01:47 PM

Metal shop, we had a working forge. You could pound white hot metal. I hear Mother's Against Everything screaming in terror.

Mmmm, shop class!:lol:

kirksmithicus
04-24-2009, 01:52 PM
Mmmm, shop class!:lol:

Yes, we made many a fine pointy sticks in shop class. We also had the diversion of our shop teacher. Who was, by nature or necessity, the cheapest man I've ever known. The shop had an attached class room with large windows between the two rooms. So we would put a penny or nickel in front of the door, and when he bent down to pick it up we would signal whomever was inside and they would open the door and smack him in the head. We got away with it nearly a dozen times before he caught on. Still makes me laugh.

tesral
04-25-2009, 01:16 AM
We got away with it nearly a dozen times before he caught on. Still makes me laugh.

SNERK! I had the one teacher that answered the phone "The handsome and charming Mr. Brown."

Not exactly deadly unless your eyes roll out of your head.