PDA

View Full Version : Do you have any free advice?

mrken
04-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Thoth's post made me think of advice one can give another. Looking back, I wish I had been given some good advice and taken it. I wish someone had told me just how important a good diet is.

As a young man I was very active with Track and then football. In those days I could eat anything, I thought. In those days I could not gain weight to save my life.

Than after college, I got a job, a wife and kids. Really slowed me down. And I gained some weight, but not much. In fact I was pretty happy to have gained it. For the first time in my life I was not "thin". Kind of liked the new me. Carried the weight well, at least for the first ten or fifteen years. Then I went over 200. Whoa!!! That was an eye opener. Even at six foot, 200 is too much. So I lost about 20 pounds and felt pretty good. But the weight crept back, slowly. Didn't even notice it.

Well, if I have any advice to give, it would be watch what you eat while you are young. Go carefully into the dark world of chocolate (or whatever your weakness is, pizza, hamburgers and fries, beer, whatever.)

So, that is my big advice to anyone who wants to listen. That does not include getting enough sleep every night, or not doing drugs or alcohol, or not doing bad things to others for fun. Some of the friends I went to college with even though they were five and ten years younger than me look ten years older than me. Homecoming was quite an eye opener to us.

Now, it is your turn. What have you learned that you would pass on to others. Please don't wait until you are fifty or sixty to share, someone else needs that information now and can't wait that long. And don't think that because you are in your teens or twenties you don't have any wisdom. That just might be modesty, which ain't all bad either.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Good thread, mrken. My advice would be to never finish a meal feeling full. You always want to leave the table feeling a little bit hungry. I'd also advise to only drink healthy fluids like water, and water mixed with 100% juice. Eat plenty of veggies, and never to eat after 5pm, unless it's a fruit snack. Oh, and to exercise moderately as well as do something meditative at least once a day.

Reunions can be an amazing experience. It's true what they say: everyone who attends reunions are always a little balder and fatter. "It's funny because it's true" -Dr. Zoidberg

MortonStromgal
04-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Don't go to college just because your supposed to or don't know what else to do with your life. Also don't turn down college because your earning more money.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Take care of your teeth. I say this because i met an individual the other day in his 40's that had needed most of his teeth replaced. So, boys and girls, brushy brushy your teethy.

Grimwell
04-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Bah, let's have some fun advice!

Never drink alone, it's more fun with friends! Also, just find a place to drink and THEN start drinking. Better if nobody has to worry about driving, then everyone can join in on the 3-man fun!

Relationships -- you should have a few before you get married. They are fun, and the ups and downs will prepare you for marriage. Once you understand all men/women are out of their minds you will be ready to find one who's crazy in a way you like. :)

At least once a month take a detour on the way home. Go down new roads, or roads you haven't been down in years. The places you will find will please you if you have a little adventure, and impress your friends (you will know where all the new restaurants, etc. are).

Be willing to embarrass yourself in public. It's kinda fun at times, and once you get over people looking at you crazy organized public speaking is easy.

Advice for guys specifically: Hold the door for all women. It does not mean they aren't your equals, and I've yet to have a woman do anything other than smile and thank me for it. It never hurts to have women think you are a nice guy; even when you aren't trying to date them. Women are dangerous when they don't trust you.... :)

nijineko
04-21-2009, 02:28 AM
choose in your dreams carefully...

when an old man speaks... listen...

a thought, then word, then deed...

"knowing yourself" is an illusion. people do not usually do what they know, they do what they want...

believe in what should be right, because it is worth believing in...

each word starts with silence, ends with silence, only in silence is there understanding...

things are not perceived as they are, they are only perceived by how the light that has touched them has been subtracted...

time is a spiral, you return to where you were after a long walk, to discover that you have advanced but a single step...

it is said that we are the offspring of god(s)... it is also said that the god(s) created all things by merely speaking... how then is it that we speak evil of ourselves and one another... if we, the children of god(s) so speak, what hope is there? for as we speak, so shall it be done... we are after all, the children of god(s) who spoke....

behold... i see... a tree.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Here's two more:

Everything in moderation. As one gets older, one begins to see the wisdom in this.

Get your rest.

Freejack
04-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Don't stop because you're older.

Don't do things because people your own age are doing it.

Don't stop being curious.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Don't stop playing games.

Stop Acting Your Age

And really, moderation in all things (even moderation) is really good advise.

Carl

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Actually, stop acting your age is an excellent piece of advice.

Here's another: drink enough fluids.

Etarnon
04-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Take the extra half second to aim accurately, it might save your life.

Study the mission map, then memorize it, then discard it.

Always dry your feet after a wet river crossing.

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

When the enemy knows you are there, leave.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-25-2009, 12:06 AM
When marching your troups through swampy lands, have them wash there feet nightly.

kirksmithicus
04-25-2009, 12:51 AM
Audie Murphy was a maniac and John Wayne was actor. You certainly ain't Audie Murphy and this isn't a movie, so keep your butt down.

Ask her, the worst she can do is shoot you down, ridicule you and make you feel worthless, but you'll get over it, and after the 100th time, it won't even bother you anymore.

Never marry the first person you....

Remember what Mark Twain said "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds", and "if you come upon a fork in the road, take it, because you never know when you might find a spoon".

When shooting your M-16 at a target closer than 50 meters, aim lower than you normally would.

Do it.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-25-2009, 01:01 AM
Prophylactic: it's better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it.

Otakar
04-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Have one glass of red wine with supper. I followed it and after about a year it's lowered my cholesterol level significantly.
--- Merged from Double Post ---

My advice would be to never finish a meal feeling full. You always want to leave the table feeling a little bit hungry.

My grandfather swore by this. He died at 96, at home, in bed next to his wife after retiring early because he felt "a little poorly". Not a bad way to go.

GoddessGood
04-25-2009, 09:52 AM
It got a little manly in here, so I had to submit a few.

If he doesn't call, don't wait for him. Your time is just as valuable as his and it's worth more to you.

If he cheats with you, he'll cheat on you.

Take time to pamper yourself once in a while, whether that be physically, spiritually, mentally, emotionally or otherwise.

Make friends with strangers, you never know who they'll be.

Always be willing to see the other side of the argument.

Admit when you're wrong.

Apologize for what you did, what you didn't do and for what you didn't mean to do.

And finally: Your mom was right about some things.

Etarnon
04-25-2009, 10:37 AM
When the oil light comes on, put oil in the car, better yet, get it checked and maintained regularly. [I've had more than one girlfriend burn her car up from this simple mistake.]

Don't harass a dog on a thick chain (Or any dog, really).

Verify you have wallet, keys and such before you walk out the door of the house / car.

Don't go to college unless you are sure you will complete the course, and can handle the loan payments, from a job that your degree gives you.

When joining the military, make sure you are joining based on everything that's been said being actually written in the contract. If not, or they can't get it in writing, walk.

when starting a project, envision the whole thing in complete, concrete steps, from start to finish, and give yourself 10% extra materials, just in case.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-25-2009, 10:42 AM
#1...If you keep an automatic garage door closer in your car, make sure your insurance and registration papers have your address cut out. Many a theif, once stealing a car, will drive to your home and use the garage door opener to get in.

#2...Also, if you have a gps system in your car, never use your address as "home." See #1

#3...if you are one of those folks that always keeps your drivers license in the car, then make sure your address on said license if of a P.O. Box. Again, see #1.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Here's one i came across on the net. Take it for what's it's worth:

The Universe gives us what we want, but it gives it to us through the path
of least resistance. The easiest way for it to deliver to you the break you
needed, was to bring the illness with it.

So, if you start taking breaks and not allowing yourself to feel guilty
about it, you won't need to get sick next time.

Life is supposed to be fun. Live by that wisdom.

Sascha
04-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Bugs Bunny (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000305/): Like the man said: Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.
Rabbit's Feat

Rings true enough for me ;)

kirksmithicus
04-27-2009, 11:08 PM
You probably already know this one, but I'll say it again. Don't eat yellow snow!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Here's another one: Don't pee towards the wind.

tesral
04-28-2009, 12:39 AM
I have lots of free advice, and all of it worth what you pay for it.

Dytrrnikl
04-28-2009, 01:15 AM
No one, absolutely no one is entitled to anything in life, YOU"VE GOT TO WORK FOR IT!!

Not sure who said this, but it is very true - Genius has limits, but Stupidity knows no bounds.

Take responisbility for your actions, you are the only one to blame for bad choices and good ones.

Don't get married before the age of 25. You haven't had enough fun yet to settled down.

Going to College doesn't mean your smart or make you Intelligent, it's how and whether or not you use that knowledge.

Life is tough, have a thick skin. If you hear or see something that offends your sensibility, ignore it.

Nothing worth a damn or worth doing is easy.

Laughter is the best medicine.

Success can only be appreciated and measured by the number and magnitude of the failures involved in getting there.

Men and Women really do speak different languages.

Money is the root of everything bad that happens in this world.

Follow the golden rule.

And last but not least...
Enjoy your life, you only get one, and it's too short not to enjoy it.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-28-2009, 01:21 AM
Great advice, Dytrrnikl. If i were suggest anything, i'd say dont get married till 30.

Your sticks and stones comment is seldom taught anymore, sadly.

Here's one i found to benefit me in life: Be friendly and true to everyone, for you never know how the favor will be returned. In my case, it has paid off years down the road where i would called up out of the blue and offered a great job. Many times, It truly is who you know that gets you that great job...and people really do remember random acts of kindness. I guess that's another one: Practice random acts of kindness.

tesral
04-28-2009, 02:08 AM
First corollary of the golden rule; Your right to swing your arm ends at the other fellow's nose.

If you depend on others for your happiness, you will be forever disappointed.

Money spent on good tools is never wasted.

Of all joy, shared joy is the greatest.

The greatest evils are done in the name of good.

Do not sit and complain. The wrongs of the world are never solved by complaint, only action. When you see wrong do not speak, act! The squeaky wheel gets the job.

Do not in your haste to do right, forget to do good.

Evilspike
04-28-2009, 08:52 AM
dont be rash in decision making and always remember he who angers you conquers you