PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons and Dragons High-Level Play Experience.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-18-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm curious about how many gamers have played high level campaigns.

Questions:

1) Highest level played? Which edition?
2) Highest level GM'd? Which edition?
3) Did these high level games begin at low levels? Be specific.
4) What ended the campaign, or is it ongoing?
5) What unique hurdles did you run into either playing or GM'ing your high level games? Feel free to elaborate in great detail if the feel inspired to do so.

My answers:
1) Played to 18th Level. 1E
2) GM'd to 15th level. 3.5E
3) 1E began at 1st Level. 3.5E began at 3rd Level.
4) Relocation to another state.
5) Needed an incredibly strong grasp of the rules. Also, combat could be complicated.

Okay everyone, please share.

...and yes, i realized i hit the wrong 20sided when submitting this thread. My bad. If it's a big deal, then please move it to the dnd non-specific edition thread. Thanks and enjoy.

Lucian-Sunaka
04-18-2009, 08:24 PM
As for me...

1) Played to 41st Level. 3E

2) GM'd to 19th level. 3E

3) GMing began at 1st Level. Playing began at 2nd Level.

4) We decided it was time to end each campaign collectively, so each had an epic ending.

5) Until people got the hang of things combat was pretty slow and complicated, but once your players master their characters and learn how to handle them, things can become really epic, with massive effects coming into play. Honestly, I feel it's just a matter of roleplay and rollplay combined. Players need to learn to both roleplay their characters well, and mechanically fight well, it requires strength on both sides. (On a side note, the amount of tweaking required to make a non-caster contribute well to a fight at this level is a little annoying, many GM's don't allow that much multi-classing/prestiging.)

yukonhorror
04-21-2009, 07:55 PM
played: 5th level, 1st ed D&D, started at 1st level
GM: 14th level, 3rd ed D&D started at 4th level.

In terms of play, always came across some impossible situation and the GM had some very specific very unique solution in mind and didn't allow our solutions (and didn't give clue as to intended solution).

In terms of GM, we played through return to temple of elemental evil and we were going to do that iron fortress one, but we were pooped out after TOEE.

No obstacles for GMing because just followed module. I can see how it would be hard though. I could never GM a high level game that felt high level.

tesral
04-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Highest level played to? Myatan went to 71. Kirt is <meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> <title></title> <meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 2.4 (Linux)"> <style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> Level 97 F 32 C 35 M 29
Edition? Floating from 1ed to 2ed and points between. It took a lot of play to get Kirt where he is.

GMed in the triple digits.

Edition, is meaningless, 0ed to 3ed.

Yes, the games started at low levels. We will sometimes visit again with older characters. Do A high level romp for the fun of it.

The Campaign is on going. We rotate out the characters when the level get higher for the most part. The really high level PCs are rare.

Challenges. It is difficult to challenge a PC in the high double digits with nearly anything in the Monster Manual. You have to get creative with the oppisition or it is simply a cake walk.

Tamerath
04-22-2009, 12:22 PM

Questions:

5) What unique hurdles did you run into either playing or GM'ing your high level games? Feel free to elaborate in great detail if the feel inspired to do so.

My answers:
1) Played to 18th Level. 1E
2) GM'd to 15th level. 3.5E
3) 1E began at 1st Level. 3.5E began at 3rd Level.
4) Relocation to another state.
5) Needed an incredibly strong grasp of the rules. Also, combat could be complicated.

Okay everyone, please share.

...and yes, i realized i hit the wrong 20sided when submitting this thread. My bad. If it's a big deal, then please move it to the dnd non-specific edition thread. Thanks and enjoy.

1-2 ) I played and DMed to my High School Group (which turned into college, after college group) and for questions 1 and 2 we got up to 25th level in 2nd Edition
3) Yes we started at level 1 in 2nd Edition....
4) With the Release of 3.5 I wanted to start anew with new characters. I used the Apocalypse Stone Adventure...fitting end...but our old characters popped up from the shadows as ancient heroes...we've played with them 1 or 2 times before I relocated to CA.
5) The switch of editions were our biggest hurdles I think. We converted our 2nd edition high levels to 3.0 then to 3.5....a real ***** at times because we had to do a lot of cross-reference here and there. I'd imagine if I'd go back to play dnd in WV for a weekend...we'd probably have to overcome the hurdle again to make level 25 4th Edition characters

MrFrost
04-27-2009, 04:38 PM
1) 6th level Paladin, 3.5e.
2) 11th Fighter, 2.5e.
3) As a player we started at 3rd level, note that about 90% of the time i am the DM so its a treat when i get to play lol. As a DM all players start at 1st level.
4) A number of things caused a end to the campaign, we had played for close to 3 years stright and met up 2-3 times a week to play. A number of the original players moved on or lost intrest.
5) A disruptive player whom to this day can still get in the way of good games. On the flip side on a off day of mine he does brighten things up with his humor.

Dark
04-27-2009, 05:19 PM
1. 1st edition 18th Human Fighter Hellraiser Chaotic Neutral serious badass Greyhawk Campaign. Now DMing I Dmed one called the Nine Hells Campaign which ran over 6 years where the players reached levels of 36. To this day the mention of Vecna brings a evil scowl from my players.

2. 2nd edition 16th Human Samurai Lawful Neutral Oda Lu Tobishi fun character to play Forgotten Realms.

3. 3rd edition 18th Halfling Assassin Lawful Evil Autolycus in Forgotten Realms another fun character to play.

4. 3.5 edition 18th Drow Fighter Chaotic Evil Rizzar Claddlyl Menzoberranzan Campaign. Serious fun playing a evil character I miss playing him. :(

Windstar
04-27-2009, 05:45 PM
[quote=Thoth-Amon;71034]I'm curious about how many gamers have played high level campaigns.

Questions:

5) What unique hurdles did you run into either playing or GM'ing your high level games? Feel free to elaborate in great detail if the feel inspired to do so. [qoute]

My answers:
1) Played to 16th Level. 1E (Theif)
2) DM'd/Played to 13th level. 2.x & 3x
3) 1E began at 1st Level. 3.5E began at 3rd Level/DM'd at 1st level. (No other way to survive my DM as a player.
4) Finished them as a DM, as a player I finished all but one, got deployed.
5) Needed incredibly good players. Also, combat didn't seem complicated, but figuring out what would give players a challenge was very hard. First couple of encounters too easy, then too hard, till I got a feel for it.

wbrandel
04-28-2009, 03:10 PM
for me
41 st level 2nd ed AD&D as player
20th level 3.5 as GM
both campaigns started at 1st level
the one I was a player in ended but not by choice, after high school we went on with our lives and the DM moved out of state. I still have that character.
the 3.5 I GMed ended as it was planned to at 20th level. I could have gone on but we started 4.0 campaign (that has ended to but due to my work schedule)
As a player I found that unless the DM tweaked the monsters we could romp all over them (but we didn't care we were looking for Vecna. We wanted to kill him for revenge)
as a GM I found that the players (one in particular) was hard to challenge, due to his devious mind and good tactical skill. I routinely sent them against monsters that were 4-9 levels higher than what was called for just to give them a challenge.

Oldgamer
04-29-2009, 03:49 PM
1) Highest level played? Which edition? 56th - 1e

2) Highest level GM'd? Which edition? 18th - 1e

Yes, my 56th level character was a Magic User who began at 1st level. He went through many adventures with us, we had usually 4 players and the DM. Against the Giants is what put him over 12th level and he began making his own magic items. Back in 1e, there were no XP stipulations to creating them ... only: money, you had to be 12th level, and you had to procure the materials ... usually dangerous ... Manticore's don't like giving up their spikes without a fight. But he began making Ioun Stones ... the level raising kind. This took him to 56th level where he proclaimed himself the God of Magic :lol: The GM didn't like this, 1st he told me I have to have followers ... and then I had to defeat the original God of Magic. I did so, and in doing so, gained his followers. The DM still didn't like it and smote my mighty wizard with a Purple Dragon with 1000hd lightning breath.

This led to me DMing a game that started at lower levels and ended at 18th, where the aforementioned wizard killing DM had an 18th level Magic User. We followed the Age rules, and he was already 80 years old ... and I had the group encounter a Ghost. In that edition, a Ghost's most powerful weapon was aging. He aged the wizard 40 years, killing him ... oh sweet revenge! :clap2:

See answer to question 3 :lol:

I think egos, not only player's egos, but their character's egos. Once the characters felt invulnerable, they got very angry when you proved them wrong. I played in a 12th level 3.5 game about 2 years ago, and the guy did something stupid ... he had a 12th level rogue and he rushed Lolth instead of running like my character did ... he was killed off fairly quickly, through a tantrum (this was a 45 year old man) and promptly left the game and never spoke to us again.

Dytrrnikl
05-08-2009, 02:10 AM

Questions:

In my case,
1. 12th level, 2E.
2. 20th level, 2E.
3. Campaigns always began at 1st level. The low levels are the most fun, being the grittiest.
4. As a player, the DM was never comfortable running a campaign beyond 12th level, felt that after that there was no point in playing. As a GM, I started out the campaign with the idea of the player's becoming gods through the Divine Ascension format.
5. These days, as a player, keeping interest in the character. I get bored with a character beginning around 7th or 8th level, as I feel I've developed the character personality-wise as far as it's going to get. I'm trying to change that, but at high levels, as a player, I just don't find the adventures challenging anymore. I like gritty gameplay, where the heroes are facing baddies that are 2 or 3 CLs above the group. It doesn't feel heroic to me otherwise.
As a DM, it's the Red Shirts. I start getting quietly peeved when the player's start acquiring followers, hirelings, and allies. I know that they're going to bring them along and add a whole new level of complexity to their adventures, they always do. I go from having a group of 5 - 8 player's facing off against either BBEG or a group of enemies with a like number or maybe 2 or 3 more than the group to 5 - 8 player's plus their entourages facing off against the enemies. ANd if I miss the entourages, then they get pissed. A once enjoyable game to run has turned into an exercise in logistics. I find the best way to stop this from happening is to keep the heroes constantly mobile, always traveling far and wide throughout the course of their careers. Surprisingly, in all the high level campaigns I've run, except for the Divine Ascension one, either due to story considerations or player choice, hardly any adventures ever occur in the Planes..pretty much staying on the Prime Plane from start to finish of a campaign.

mnemenoi
05-08-2009, 05:17 PM
1) Usually just DM'ed

2) 12th level, second edition

3) Yes all players started at first, played every two weeks for 8-10 hours, spanned about 4 years

4) No longer had the zest and believability of lower level games, players retired and started another group in the same world

5) Difficult to justify their continuing to adventure as the challenges became more and more 'global' and started to lack the realism we all enjoyed. All players explained what they did and felt accomplished in their characters future. It had a sense of completion and with an obvious completion they knew the whole story instead of it just ending or trailing off. Overall it was a great game and I had a wonderful time running it.

templeorder
05-08-2009, 05:37 PM
A: 18th level Necromancer, 2e DnD
A: In the 20's - Expert DnD+1e DnD
A: All at first level
A: Need for more mature themes and realism
A: Unique challenges. Higher level play is usually for higher stakes and these are not mainly played out through fights. The need for realism as we grew older also meant characters were not surviving to higher levels... oh sweet irony!

nijineko
05-12-2009, 12:40 AM
Questions:

16th, 3rd.

i routinely run 16th+ level games. usually 3rd.

most of them start at higher levels. i have yet to find a dm who can intrigue me with enough story involvement to ignore a lack of progress (or tolerate a snail's pace), which is the unfortunate result of most peoples' attempts to be more story oriented.

it might be the fault of my book reading habits. i am able to read an average of 700-900 pages in a single day. if i recall correctly, i think my record is 25 books in 5 days. but that was during a summer vacation. i've slowed down some since then. anyway, i am so used to finishing an entire story arc in one day, and a trilogy in a week at most, that i find the typical pace of an attempted story oriented campaign to eventually grate on me with the overly slow development.

segueing a bit, and thinking about that for a bit more... i think that if my character manages to pull off something spectacular or sneaky, or if i as a player or character manage to help someone else pull off something, then i feel satisfied with the session. i've also am just as happy with someone else's success, so long as it is spectacular or sneaky. ^^

let's see, most of them are still ongoing. a few have ended, usually because the player(s) in question do not keep it going despite efforts and encouragement on my part. but in their defense, they had/have a lot of rl stuff they are trying to deal with. and i still have my notes from all of them, so if any of the opportunities again arose....

5) What unique hurdles did you run into either playing or GM'ing your high level games? Feel free to elaborate in great detail if you feel inspired to do so.

hmmmm. the things i hear the most complaints about concerning high level campaigns are: challenging the players/characters, escalation, and oddly - unrealism. i find that the ways which successfully challenge high level characters are different - very different - from what will challenge lower level characters, and if the dm cannot adapt to the new paradigm, the game will be unsuccessful.

one of the core and essential concepts of a high level game is the myth. the story you are creating is the epic fable, the tall tale, the myth of legend, that which touches upon the truths that are entangled into the largely untapped depths of every human who has ever lived, and ever will live.

the rules don't have to make sense, they merely have to touch upon things the character(s)/player(s) believe in. and that's the hardest part for many. letting go of the rules and knowing which rules to let go, and when.

however, that's more art than science, or at least, the result of much trial and experience.

some immediate things that i've found useful: i use large groups of opponents to challenge the party. for example, one time i took a group of six high level characters and tossed an entire company at them, something like 130 bad guys of varying battle roles and levels. they managed to blow out the command unit, disable the effectiveness of over half the remainder, and used bluff and intimidation to finish off the morale of the remainder. and that was just one encounter.

but it worked, and they still talk about it. they felt challenged, but they won against what seemed at first overwhelming odds.

lots of mooks allows the fighters to great cleave and whirlwind attack, the casters to level entire sections of the battlefield with area of effect spells, the bonus damage types to take full advantage, and the mobile ones to show off the moves.

split the party up. they can handle it now. (admittedly easier to do via an online format)

know the party characters. know them better than you know your npcs. toss in the occasional thing that deprives them of one or two abilities, requiring them to use teamwork, and other lesser used abilities. a lack of fire or acid can bring on the trolls... or at least let another character show off what they can do. no cold iron or silver? proper types damage reduction and energy resistance can pull some of the sharper teeth of the party, and make fights last a bit more.

play with the environment. this is a world of magic and miracles. hang castles up-side down and have multi-directional gravity. hold an epic battle while sky-diving. put the party below sea-level, and have the bad guys blow the dikes. mix it up. with planar destinations and pocket dimensions, you can really pull the stops.

and i like helping people with their particular challenges... feel free to pm me for help with ideas.

RoryN
05-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Several characters in the 15-18 level range, 2E

Same as #1

Yes, everyone started out with 1st level characters no matter who the DM was.

People moving out of area...life.

I suppose it's not really so unique, but I felt the main problem with many of the higher level characters was that they amassed so many magical items that it was difficult to challenge them at times. As a DM, I took extra care to even things out with the NPCs I created, giving them similar items, or even new ones that the PCs didn't know about. PCs can go against only so many high level monsters before they start getting bored and feeling invinceable, but give a hill giant a magical club, boots of speed, and a ring of regeneration, and things can get interesting. And of course, these items were made specifically for the giant, so they can't be used by PCs and are basically insellable as well. :cool:

MrFrost
05-25-2009, 05:41 PM
In a campaign that we had just started the players requested to start at level 5 because we normally dont get to much futher. Normally i wouldn't go for it but looking back i am happy i did.

gregm
05-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Currently playing a 14th level Rogue in 3.5e
Never GM'd a D&D game
Started at 2nd level (only because I joined the campaign after it started)
Ongoing, in a couple weeks it will be two years since I joined the game.
Can't say I have run into anything specifically related to level.

Greg

Rook
05-27-2009, 01:45 PM
The highest I've ever played was a character who began as a Basic Set Lawful first-level fighter and retired as a 1E 25th-level paladin. He eventually entered the hells with a small group of other high-level characters and confronted Asmodeus himself. After that, I found it more fun to use him as an NPC who was the benevolent lord of a region rather than continue adventuring and trying to find challenges.
I've DM'd epic campaigns that took characters from 1st through about 18th-20th levels in 1E as well. The players then took the game in the direction of castle-construction, army building, and becoming patrons of younger characters.

Moritz
05-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Questions:

5) What unique hurdles did you run into either playing or GM'ing your high level games?

1) 30th? - 1st edition - Immortals book. It was the summer of 1986, high school, we would spend long days playing this game. I believe we started somewhere around level 15. Thing is, the DM didn't really go with a lot of the standard XP awards or rules. And I really don't think level mattered because it was just gaming.

2) 23rd - 3.5edition

3) The 30th level started around 15th. The 23rd level started at level 4 - This game took 2 years.

4) The end of the summer of 86. Time to change games. As for the 23rd level game, real life got in the way plus they were finished with the main plotline (dragons taking over the continent). One player decided that selling Amway was more important than playing games. Two of the players got a divorce. One player moved to Colorado. One player went back to professional school. Leaving 3 or 4 players - but the momentum was gone.

5) The challenge is often the lack of challenge. Wizards become a personal nuke, characters, if drawn up right, can do over 100 points of damage in one attack (see bladed gauntlets +5). The MM doesn't have really cool high level monsters - sure, you can level them up, but I find that the biggest challenge is other humanoid characters at that level). The characters also have a lot of stuff to keep up with - trade routes, cities/fortresses/children/stuff/stuff/stuff. And so on.
In addition to this. The monsters/evil NPCs had a lot to keep up with. At 19th level, I ran them against a high powered lich. It was a really late night, I was tired, and I was overwhelmed with all that the lich could do. The players practically owned the lich.

Borodeva
06-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Questions:

22nd level in 3.0. We were using the epic rules.
10th level in 3.5.
I joined the 3.0 game at level 5 I think. The 3.5 game began at 1st level.
3.0 game ended due to some people quitting and the DM being moody. 3.5 game is still going.
In the epic 3.0 game, the casters had ridiculous powers that vastly outshined the non-casters. In the 3.5 game at L10, the casters are beginning to pull away in power but it's also because the caster players have more optimized builds.