PDA

View Full Version : Tournys?

Soft Serve
04-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Why aren't there any tournaments hosted here? Like a role playing encounter someone has set up and is prepared to run for teams of 4-6 people who try to survive and efficiently defeat the encounter better then the other teams for prizes and such. The teams would all run through the same encounter (on different days probably) trying to get points for their group. The characters would be generated with / by the DM / moderator (to ensure no one cheated) and then pushed into the adventure. No towns, or RPing, just straight gaming. If you wanted too you could even drag it out. Make it three or four encounters, each group runs through the first one, their points get posted somewhere, the other groups know how much better they have to try and be to best the other teams. Just spitballing though...:)

The winning team would be determined on things like...

Rounds to defeat big nasty monster(s) - For every round less then it took the team that took the most time is one point. (should only be used on a boss creature)

Activated Trap(s) - For every point of damage caused by a trap is a negative point. If no traps were set off then it's +x points. x being the number of total traps in the encounter.

Money Earned - For every 100 GP at the end of the encounter the party gains another point. Meaning the less equipment you buy at the start, the more handicap you take, the better reward you gain for taking that handicap if you succede. Not sure there should be secret treasures though, since if someone finds them the rest of the teams would know to look for one. Maybe put them in different spots everytime?

Deaths - -8 points per death.

Players - Going in with a shorthanded group (E.X. taking 2 players through a 4 person encounter) could be worth +8 to 10 points. Up to the DM/mod if they'd want to allow that though. (doesn't count if a PC dies)

Character Creation - Attributes should get anywhere from 28-32 points (depends on the DM/mod) but any point not used in Attributes can go straight to victory points at the end. Same as GP and buying equipment. So you could keep 400GP from character creation to have at the end for an extra 4 points.

again...I'm just spitballing it...

Also not expecting it to happen anytime soon since even if you win there wouldn't be much to give away since the site still has to recover from the record breaking day.

Also not trying to point this at any game or genre in particular but. The above was intended for 3.5 D&D but it can be tweaked. Also not saying I woulden't support other ideas on changes since it would ultimately be up to the guy giving away the stuff at the end on how to run it. :)

I think this could be fun though, and want to know what everyone else has to say. So shoot!

nijineko
04-20-2009, 10:44 PM
ah man, you beat me to it. :P i have a system pretty much built for running an arena-style tourny. i'm willing to give it a go if there are interested peoples. i'll even make a post of the rules for people to read and sign up for sooner or later.

GoddessGood
04-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Can we assume it would be PbP? If so, I might take a stab at it ...

Soft Serve
04-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Play by Post would take a while but I don't see why not.

I don't think a lot of people like this idea, no matter where I post it. :lol:

nijineko
04-22-2009, 06:31 PM
the system i have set-up is designed for pbp, yes.